A standard refrigerator has two main compartments, the fridge, and the freezer compartment.
Consumers, especially those with non-vegetarian food habits, love having more freezer space, whereas vegetarians prefer more refrigeration space.
As a result, manufacturers always find it challenging to allocate appropriate space for refrigeration and freezing compartments.
This dilemma has inspired manufacturers to introduce facilities like using the freezer and refrigeration compartments interchangeably. However, both these compartments require maintaining drastically different temperature settings. So, here comes the birth of the convertible refrigerator.
Samsung was the first brand to introduce the convertibility feature in their refrigerator models. Subsequently, LG, Haier, and Whirlpool have improvised on the design to introduce the convertibility feature.
How does the convertibility feature work?
The refrigeration compartment requires a temperature range of 20C to 50C, whereas the freezer compartment needs a temperature between -150C and -230C.
So the convertibility feature converts the freezer into a fridge and vice-versa. Samsung introduced this basic functionality in their Indian refrigerator models. So let us see how it works.
Convertible refrigerator technology requires the appliance to have two fans and evaporators, one set each for the freezer and the refrigeration compartments. As a result, consumers can select the modes accordingly using specific control options and activate the convertibility feature.
Depending on user preferences, manufacturers have introduced multiple permutations and combinations in their convertible refrigerator models. However, the fundamental technology is the same.
Users should note that the convertible feature needs time to adjust and start taking effect. For example, Samsung models take approximately two hours, whereas LG has speeded it up to around one hour.
We shall now discuss the individual models from Samsung, LG, Haier, and Whirlpool to understand the concept better.
Samsung 5-in-1 Convertible Refrigerator
Samsung, the pioneer of convertible refrigerator technology in India, has introduced the 5-in-1 convertibility feature in its premium double-door models. The 5-in-1 convertible refrigerator has the following five modes.
- The Normal Mode: It is the regular mode where the more significant compartment is the refrigerator part, and the smaller portion at the top is the freezer. This mode is the default mode.
- Extra Fridge Mode: Vegetarian consumers do not regularly use the freezer mode. They prefer to store their food in the refrigerator compartment. So the freezer mode largely remains unused. Samsung convertible refrigerator offers the facility to convert the freezer mode into a refrigerator compartment by adjusting its temperature settings accordingly. Therefore, the consumer has more fridge space for storage, giving the mode its name, Extra Fridge Mode.
- Seasonal Mode: The Extra Fridge Mode offers more refrigeration space. But what if you do not require extra space and the freezer, especially during winter when the freezers are almost empty? Samsung offers Seasonal Mode, where the consumer can conveniently switch off the freezer and use the refrigeration compartment alone. It saves power.
- Vacation Mode: Consumers do not need the refrigerator to work 24 x 7 x 365 when they go out on vacations. At the same time, they might need to store some food items. But keeping the appliance on for the entire vacation wastes power. Samsung 5-in-1 convertible refrigerator offers a Vacation Mode, where the consumer can shut down the refrigerator compartment and keep the freezer compartment functioning as usual. Thus, it saves power.
- Home Alone Mode: The Vacation Mode is excellent if the entire family goes out on holiday. However, if one person remains back for some reason, using the entire fridge can consume unnecessary power. Therefore, Samsung’s Home Alone Mode allows users to switch off the fridge compartment and use the freezer as a mini refrigerator. So it serves the dual purpose of a refrigerator and saves power simultaneously.
Samsung also offers a 3-in-1 convertible refrigerator, where the Vacation and Home Alone modes are unavailable. Otherwise, the functioning is the same.
LG Dual Fridge
The Samsung 5-in-1 convertible refrigerator is a comprehensive appliance offering multiple options. The LG Dual Fridge offers fewer features but minimizes the deficiency by reducing the time necessary for the conversion feature to take effect. This LG model has two operational modes.
- The Normal Mode: It is the regular operational mode of the refrigerator where the freezer and the fridge compartment work independently.
- The Only Fridge Mode: This mode allows users to convert the freezer compartment into a refrigerator and increase overall refrigerator storage space by 40%.
Haier 8-in-1 Convertible Refrigerator
Haier uses a couple more permutations and combinations to improvise the Samsung 5-in-1 convertible refrigerator to offer its 8-in-1 model.
- The Normal Mode: This mode is the same as in the Samsung and LG models.
- The Veg Mode: This mode is the equivalent of the Extra Fridge Mode in the Samsung model, where the entire appliance is converted into a refrigerator debarred of any chilling operation.
- Home Alone Mode: This mode is the same as Samsung’s seasonal mode, where the consumer can switch off the freezer function entirely and use the refrigeration compartment alone.
- Freezer Mode: Haier’s Freezer Mode is the equivalent of Samsung’s Vacation Mode, where the user can switch off the fridge compartment and let the freezer function as usual.
- Vacation Mode: The Vacation Mode in Haier models is the same as Samsung’s Home Alone Mode, where the consumer switches off the fridge compartment but uses the freezer as a refrigerator debarred of chilling activities.
- Surprise Party Mode: It is an improvised version of the Normal Mode but with spiced-up freezing features like turbo icing technology that allows quicker cooling and ice making. It is ideal when you have surprise guests turning up suddenly.
- Summer Mode: This mode isunique to Haier refrigerators, where the settings allow the appliance to function at peak capacity in the summer months to provide optimal cooling.
- Swift Chill Mode: This unique mode spices up the entire Haier refrigerator and works up the maximum settings to ensure the fastest possible cooling of your food in the appliance.
Whirlpool 10-in-1 Convertible Refrigerator
Whirlpool has introduced an innovative bottom freezer-mounted refrigerator with a unique 10-in-1 convertibility feature. The working principle is the same as that of the other refrigerator brands discussed here.
- Energy Saver Mode: Consumers can switch on the Energy Saver Mode to save more power when fridge usage is less. In this way, it enhances the appliance’s efficiency.
- Fast Ice Mode: This mode allows the appliance to make ice faster in the freezer compartment.
- Party Mode: It is similar to the Surprise Party Mode in Haier models.
- Mini Ref Mode: This mode converts the freezer compartment into a mini refrigerator when you have fewer food items to refrigerate. It is the same as the Home Alone Mode in Samsung models.
- Vacation Mode: It is similar to Samsung’s Vacation Mode, where consumers can switch off the fridge compartment and keep the freezer running to store perishable items.
- Chef Mode: This mode helps to store frozen food if it is to be consumed within a short time. Thus, it eliminates the need for defrosting frozen food.
- All Season Mode: The All Season Mode enables the appliance to automatically adapt to the load, usage patterns, and external weather conditions to save power and offer optimal cooling.
- Grocery Day Mode: This mode is equivalent to the Fridge Only Mode in LG models, where the entire appliance, including the freezer, works as a refrigerator.
- Beverages Mode: This mode prevents the beverages from becoming frozen inside the freezer. Instead, it chills them perfectly for immediate consumption.
- Deep Freeze Mode: This mode allows for preserving food items in the freezer by ensuring optimal cooling temperatures.
If you observe closely, the convertibility features are similar in all refrigerator models discussed here. These additional operational modes distinguish convertible refrigerators from conventional non-convertible models.