Not every Indian is fortunate to have access to municipality-treated water resources.
A significant majority of people depend on groundwater or river water for their daily needs. Now, a person who has used these sources will know that groundwater is hard and contains a lot of salt.
It explains why most of the people have RO water purifiers in their homes. This hard water has other undesirable effects.
Table of Contents
- What is the solution to these problems?
- 1. Water Science CLEO Shower & Tap Filter – SFU-717
- 2. D’Cal Hard Water Scale Prevention System
- 3. HEMITO 10-Stage Advanced High Output Shower and Tap Filter
- Buying Guide – Hard water Softener (Filter for tap and Shower)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
What is the solution to these problems?
The perfect way to resolve this issue is to install a device known as a hard water softener to your taps. It is a kind of a filter for your taps and showers. It enables you to get soft water at the turn of a tap. We shall look into the mechanism of the hard water softener when we discuss the buying guide.
In the meanwhile, here are the best hard water softeners (filter arrangements for your taps and showers) available on the market.
1. Water Science CLEO Shower & Tap Filter – SFU-717
The presence of TDS in hard water and chlorine in soft water is harmful to your hair and skin. Water Science CLEO shower and tap filters do not reduce TDS or chlorine from the water. These filters convert harmful impurities into harmless forms.
This filter comes with a unique 4-layered filtering system to fight chlorine and TDS. The patented KDF technology from KDF Fluid Treatment Inc, USA eliminates up to 95% of chlorine. A proprietary combination of Zeolites and hardness dispersal media take care of TDS.
Installing this shower and tap filter is easy as this product comes with a DIY kit.The 4-layer filter system comprises of the following.
- A micro-sieve layer that serves to trap sediments, impurities, and micro-particles
- A hardness-removal layer to reduce the effects of limescale and hard water TDS
- The chlorine removal layer reduces up to 90% of chlorine and also takes care of heavy metals like mercury and lead
- The nano-silver carbon layer to remove bad smell and prevent the growth of bacteria
The system comes with a replaceable cartridge. Usually, one cartridge should last for around six months. However, the quality of water determines the lifespan of the cartridge. It fits into all tap sizes and can work well with both hot and cold water. The filtering rate of about six liters per minute is an impressive one.
2. D’Cal Hard Water Scale Prevention System
D’Cal hard water Scale Prevention System caters to the needs of your entire house. Any household that uses hard water will understand the tough times they have cleaning the bathroom tiles, geyser coils, bathtubs, buckets, and so on.
They also need to change taps frequently because of the buildup of limescale inside the pipes. D’Cal hard water Scale Prevention System works on a simple technology to remove these sticky calcium and magnesium deposits.
Hang this device on your overhead tank and let the product work to reduce the calcium and magnesium deposits. Calcium and magnesium have properties whereby they stick to the surfaces of buckets, walls, and pipes.
This product alters the sticky nature of calcium whereby you find that there are no deposits at all. Hence, you do not have to use abrasive acids to clean the bathroom tiles or replace your taps and pipes frequently.
Depending on the quality of water, one piece will last for around ten to twelve months.
3. HEMITO 10-Stage Advanced High Output Shower and Tap Filter
The Hemito 10-stage advanced filter is also similar to both the shower and tap filters discussed above. The difference is that the Rainbow Dots filter uses Maifan Stone whereas the Hemito filter does not.
Here are the ten stages of filtration that ensures you get soft water to revitalize your skin and hair. The resultant water also ensures that your bathroom floors, tiles, walls, and taps do not sport the white deposits of salts of calcium and magnesium.
- The first two stages comprise layers of PP cotton to remove sediments and other impurities like rust particles.
- The third and fourth stages of filtering constitute two layers of stainless steel meshes to trap the bigger sediments.
- The ceramic balls absorb heavy metals and thereby purify water and prevent the growth of algae.
- The American KDF 55 technology is handy for removing dangerous contaminants like chlorine, hydrogen sulfide, and arsenic.
- The presence of anti-bacterial ceramic balls balances the pH levels of water and makes it soft.
- The coconut activated carbon is instrumental in eliminating bad odors and organic contaminants.
- A layer of calcium sulfite absorbs heavy metals and eliminates odors.
- Finally, the magnetic ceramic balls increase the flow of oxygen thereby revitalizing your skin and hair.
The advantage of the Hemito filter is that it accommodates the Rainbow Dots cartridge as well. However, it is better to use the Hemito refilling cartridge.
We have seen five of the best hard water softeners available on the market. Each of these devices can help soften the water and thus rejuvenate the skin and hair. It also prevents accumulation of salts on the electrical devices like geyser coils, bathroom walls, bathtubs, and so on.
Let us now discuss the qualities that you should look for when buying a hard water softener (tap and shower filter). This buying guide should make your job easy.
Buying Guide – Hard water Softener (Filter for tap and Shower)
Does your skin feel sticky after you take a bath? Does your scalp feel itchy every time you take a shower?
Do you notice a reduction in the water pressure after a couple of months of installing a new tap or shower? Are there white deposits of salt on the bathroom floors, walls, and electrical appliances like your geyser coils?
Do you see your bathtubs paling in color over a period?
If the response to all these questions is in the affirmative, you have a supply of hard water in your house. The ideal solution to these issues is to buy and install a hard water softener.
Usually, these softeners are available as filter arrangements that you fit onto your taps and showers.
Let us now discuss the benefits of using these hard water softeners in the form of shower and tap filters.
Types of Tap or shower filters
There are two types of tap or shower filters. The first one is the tap or showerhead filters, and the other is the inline filter.
Tap or Showerhead filter
These filters not only resemble a showerhead or a tap but also act like one. You install these bulky products on top of the tap or showerhead. These hard water softeners do their job of reducing the hardness of water effectively and ensure there is no loss of water pressure.
You have to install these inline filters between the showerhead/tap and the water line. The advantage of such filters is that you do not have to change your existing faucets and showerheads.
Filtration technology in use
There are various kinds of filtration technologies in use. You have the sediment filters and the porous PP cotton filters that offer basic protection. Hence, you have multi-level filtration in almost all hard water softeners.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have seen the buying guide of shower and tap filters cum hard water softeners. Let us now clarify some fundamental doubts that can arise in the minds of people.
Installing a hard water softener in your house is handy because it can prevent the formation of limescale on your bathroom fittings and electrical appliances. Soft water is excellent for your skin and hair.
Your skin and hair feel healthy when you treat them with soft water daily. Look into all the aspects discussed above before you purchase your hard water softener.
Shiva Kumar is a 25-year-old Blogger from India. He is a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert. Constantly funny – Randomly Serious!