Heating of water can consume a lot of electricity. It is in the fitness of things that you do your basics right. In order to conserve electrical energy, you need to maintain the water at the right temperature.
Thermostats can allow you to do that. The modern-day geysers come equipped with such thermostats instead of immersion rods.
Table of Contents
Thermostat – The Concept
The responsibility of the thermostat is to maintain the temperature of the water at the desired level at all times. They achieve this objective by suspending the supply of electricity on reaching the desired level.
Thermostats maintain the desired level by constantly checking the temperature of water. In case it goes below the desired level, they automatically switch on the electricity supply. Hence, it ensures that the water is at the desired temperature level as long as the geyser is switched on.
Thermostat – Location
In India, you get of water heaters, one where the thermostat controls are visible and the other where they are not. In the former type, you have the facility to change the temperature settings as required.
The latter category does not have this facility. Such thermostats have a pre-defined setting of temperature at around 550C to 600C. These water heaters have red and green light settings to indicate whether the heating process is on or off.
The ideal temperature for water heater
The ideal temperature setting in a water heater is around 50C. Most of the geysers available in the market have a range from 40C to 75C.
It is up to the individual where to maintain the setting in case you have access to the thermostat controls. Remember, that the input water temperature is an important factor.
Your electricity consumption depends on the difference in temperature levels between the input water and thermostat setting.
There is the concept of using solar water heaters in combination with electric geysers as a back-up option. You need this option on cloudy days when the solar power will be at its minimum.
The advantage of using solar water heaters with back-up electric geysers on such days is that it reduces the temperature difference between the input water and thermostat setting. This save you power.
Points to ponder
This part of the article attempts to clear the misconceptions people have about the working of the thermostat.
Thermostat does not completely switch off the electricity supply after the water is heated to the desired level. It merely suspends the supply of electricity to the appliance. As soon as the water temperature goes down beyond a certain level, it switches on the supply thereby continuing with the heating process.
Many people have the tendency to leave the geyser in the ‘ON’ position at all times believing that the thermostat takes care of the water temperature. Remember the concept of standing loss. Water stored inside the storage tank will lose heat.
Under such circumstances, the thermostat starts functioning again. If you leave it in the ‘ON’ position at all times, the water heater will keep working the entire day thereby consuming a lot of unnecessary electricity.
BEE Star Ratings:
The important factors affecting the BEE Star rating ratings is the heat loss. In case of other appliances power consumption by the appliances is the principal factor affecting BEE rating. In case of water heaters, the emphasis is on heat loss.
The more the standing loss, the lower is the BEE rating. A 5-star BEE rated water heater will have less heat loss as compared to a 1-star geyser. The thermostat has an important role to play under such circumstances.
Important tips to save electricity:
- Maintain thermostat at medium levels. Do not overheat the water.
- The size of the geyser is important. Refer to the table provided in one of the earlier blogs and ascertain the right size for your home.
- A 5-star water heater is always preferable.
- Switch off the geyser when not in use. The standing loss concept comes into play.
- Proper insulation is necessary to avoid unnecessary heat loss. This is especially true if the distance between the geyser and the bathroom is longer. There can be transmission loss.
- guiUse of thermal paint on water heaters can save you power. Our next article deals with this issue.
Use your water geyser wisely. It can serve you for a long time.
- 9 Best Geyser Water Heaters In India 2019 (Instant, Storage)
- Best Havells Geysers in India (2019) Reviews – Storage & Instant
- Coating & Tank material in water heaters (Stainless steel, Polymer, Glass Lined)
- Instant Geyser vs Storage Geysers / Water Heaters!
- Size of Water Heater/Geyser (6, 10,15,25,50 litres) – What size do I need?