One of the first aspects you look for when purchasing a water purifier is its storage capacity and the material used for manufacturing the storage tank.
Generally, water purifiers feature food-grade ABS plastic tanks. Alternatively, stainless steel tanks are also available in LG, Kent, Prestige, HUL Pureit, AO Smith, Blue Star, Havells, etc. Besides, the gravity water purifiers are also available with stainless steel bodies and ABS plastic tanks. So, it brings us to the question of which of the two, ABS or Stainless Steel, is the better option.
Let us compare the qualities of ABS food-grade plastic and stainless steel and understand its pros and cons to determine the better option.
ABS Food Grade Plastic
ABS denotes Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene and is an opaque thermoplastic material having wide industrial uses. It is a tough and highly durable finished product that can withstand physical impacts and chemical corrosion.
Here are some advantages of ABS food-grade plastic.
- ABS Plastic can be molded into any shape.
- ABS Plastic accepts color easily, allowing the finished products to have a glossy feel.
- It resists chemical corrosion and hence is ideal for storing liquids, especially water.
- The plastic in food-grade ABS does not react with food materials and acids. Therefore, it is one of the ideal materials for manufacturing food containers.
- Containers made of ABS food-grade plastic are easy to clean.
- ABS food-grade plastic containers are light in weight.
- Besides, the production costs are not high.
At the same time, one should know about the disadvantages of ABS food-grade plastic.
- The general perception is that styrene monomer can leach from ABS plastic into food and water. Styrene monomer is a known carcinogen. However, the amount of styrene monomer in ABS food-grade plastic is much below the standards stipulated by FDA.
- ABS plastic must be protected from UV rays and exposure to extreme weather conditions. Hence, it would be best not to keep such water purifiers in areas with direct exposure to sunlight.
- ABS food-grade plastic tanks require frequent cleaning compared to stainless steel storage tanks.
Alternatives to ABS Food-grade plastic
The best alternative to food-grade ABS plastic is stainless steel. Here are some advantages of using stainless containers/bodies in water purifiers.
- Though ABS food-grade plastic is durable, stainless steel lasts much longer. In addition, pure stainless steel does not rust and is hence, ideal for water storage.
- Stainless steel is a non-toxic material that does not require a liner.
- Stainless steel does not leach any chemicals into the water even if the container gets damaged.
- Cleaning steel tanks is convenient. One can clean these containers using soap and water. On the contrary, one has to be careful with plastic tanks as they can cause abrasions.
- Compared to plastic tanks, steel tanks are less susceptible to bacterial or mold infections. Hence, the water remains fresh and pure.
Disadvantages of stainless steel water purifiers
- Stainless steel water purifiers are comparatively expensive to ABS plastic water purifiers.
- Though stainless steel has a glossy appearance, the surface attracts fingerprints and smudges.
- Compared to ABS food-grade plastic, stainless steel is heavier.
- Though stainless steel tanks require cleaning less frequently than ABS food-grade plastic tanks, it is advisable to clean them as stagnant water can form a slimy layer on the tank’s inner surface.
Related: Water Purifier Power Consumption
Which is the better option when purchasing water purifiers?
Both ABS food-grade plastic and stainless steel water purifiers are good products. If your budget is an issue, you can opt for the ABS plastic body. If it is not a constraint, the stainless steel water purifier is a better option. Besides, stainless steel is more durable than ABS plastic. The choice of the water purifier depends on the individual user.
Geetha Srinivasan is a homemaker by profession and choice. Her passion and skill in understanding the nuances of electric appliances prove handy in providing information about Home & kitchen appliances in the most straightforward manner possible.