Are you looking for the best semi-automatic washing machine for your home? If Yes, then you are in the right place.
Washing clothes is no longer a chore as you have washing machines in every home.
However, the semi-automatic washing machines are still a favourite with people leaving in the semi-urban and rural areas.
Semi-automatic machines have a market in almost all the Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities in India. In spite of many people gravitating towards fully automatic machines, there is an available clientele for these semi-automatic models as well.
Best Semi Automatic washing machines
1. LG 8Kg 5-Star Semi-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – P8030SRAZ
Semi-automatic washing machines are beneficial because they consume less water and energy while involving manual effort.
- Eight Kg capacity, suitable for large families
- 5-star energy efficiency
- 1350rpm to help clothes dry faster
- Four wash programs
The prime highlight of this LG 8Kg semi-automatic washing machine is the roller jet pulsator that rotates at a good speed to provide higher friction and a better washing experience. In addition, the soak technology allows you to soak your soiled clothes in a concentrated detergent for 20 minutes to remove the toughest stains.
The collar scrubber feature is useful for scrubbing the cuffs and collars to save you time and labour. This washing machine offers three gentle, normal, and strong washing cycles, depending on the quality of fabrics you wash.
This LG washing machine has a rotational speed of 1350rpm to allow your clothes to dry 30 to 40% faster than line drying. LG washing machines come with a spin shower feature that washes leftover soap and removes the slimy residue from the washing tub. The lint collector collects the lint residue from your clothes to ensure that they do not clog the drain pipes.
- The rat repellent cover keeps rats away.
- The buzzer alerts you when the washing process is over.
- Easy-to-use controls
- The power cord is a bit short.
- The motor makes more noise.
2. Whirlpool 7.5Kg 5-Star Semi-automatic Top-loading Washing Machine – ACE 7.5 Supreme
Whirlpool offers a range of semi-automatic machines to add to your convenience. These 5-star washing machines save water and power while delivering a decent washing experience.
- 7.5Kg capacity to cater to medium to large-sized Indian families
- Super soak technology to remove the toughest stains
- The maximum spin speed of 1400rpm for easy drying
- Ace Wash station and In-built scrubber to remove dirt easily
Whirlpool semi-automatic machines come with a unique Ace Wash Station where you can sort your clothes, stack them, and carry them after the wash. This washing machine offers soak technology to enable you to soak soiled clothes in a concentrated detergent solution.
Three wash cycles help to adjust the washing mode depending on your fabrics. The Normal, Delicate, and Heavy wash cycles enable convenient customization. In addition, the spin shower function helps remove excess detergent from the clothes and makes them sparklingly clean and allergy-free.
Scrubbing collars and cuffs should not be an issue anymore, as the inbuilt collar scrubber makes it convenient. Other excellent features include memory retention, an end-of-cycle buzzer, and Max-Dry to ensure a decent washing experience.
- A high rotational speed of 1400rpm enables quick drying
- Easy mobility due to the presence of four sturdy wheels
- Compared to its peers, this washing machine makes less noise.
- The machine is not sufficiently stable as it wobbles when the spin tub rotates at high speed.
- It does not feature an LCD or LED display.
3. LG 7.5Kg Semi-automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – P8541R3SA
LG has washing machines to suit all kinds of Indian families. No wonder, these washing machines are the best semi-automatic washing machines in India at the moment.
- The capacity of 7.5 Kg makes it suitable for large families
- High speed of 1400 rpm
- Rat repellent technology
- Easy to install and use straight away
This LG semi-automatic washing machine features three easy wash programmes, gentle, regular, and strong. It enables the user to choose the ideal one depending on the need of the hour.
The roller jet pulsator is a robust one that has an excellent rotation speed. The higher the speed, the better is the washing experience.
This machine allows the consumer to soak the clothes for ensuring a perfect wash.
Features like collar scrubber are necessary to remove stubborn dirt from collars and cuffs. Similarly, the lint collector ensures to collect the debris and prevent it from clogging the drains.
The rat repellent technology keeps your machine safe from these unwanted pests.
The spin tub has a fantastic rotation speed of 1400 rpm. The spin shower ensures to remove traces of soap sticking to your clothes. The air-dry feature speeds up your drying time by more than 40%.
- Spell-binding performance
- Easy to set up and use
- Washing experience of the highest order
- Miss the convenience of a fully automatic washing machine
4. Samsung 7.2Kg Semi-automatic Top Loading Washing machine – WT725QPNDMP
Samsung provides the ideal competition to LG washing machines in many ways. This 7.2 Kg semi-automatic washing ranks among the best semi-automatic washing machine under Rs 10,000.
- Energy-efficient washing machine
- 7.2 Kg capacity suits an ideal Indian family
- An excellent rotation speed of 1000rpm
- Convenient wash programme options
This Samsung 7.2Kg washing machine is a comfortable appliance, as it comes with some of the best features not usually available with other devices.
The EZ wash tray is one such feature that allows you to scrub your clothes thoroughly before transferring it into the machine. The best aspect of this feature is that you do not have to remove the clothes from the tray.
Sliding the plate towards the spin tub is enough to let you drop it into the machine.
The lint filter is a useful device to have, as it collects the trash and ensures to clean your clothes thoroughly.
At the same time, it does not let the debris to clog your drains. The air turbo drying system helps to dry the clothes by at least 40% before you hang them out in the open. The buzzer alerts you when the washing job is complete.
- Excellent design with a 2-way inner handle
- Anti-corrosive plastic body
- One of the most convenient washing machines to move around
- Excellent washing performance
- The spin drum is small, thereby not accommodating all clothes at a time
5. LG 7.0Kg Semi-automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – P8053R3SA
Here is another excellent 7.0Kg washing machine model from LG that can serve a family of four perfectly. This washing machine comes with all the unique features that other LG machines have to rank as one of the best 7.0Kg semi-automatic washing machines.
- Energy-efficient washing machine
- A capacity of 7Kg is ideal for a small family of four members
- Superb spin speed of 1300rpm
- Durable plastic body with rat repellent technology
This LG washing machine comes with three customised wash programmes to take care of all your washing needs. Soaking your clothes is possible because it enables you to remove the most stubborn dirt easily.
The roller jet pulsator is a powerful one to deliver a fantastic washing experience. The collar scrubber is the perfect accessory to help you get rid of stubborn dirt from collars and cuffs.
This washing machine features a lint collector to ensure that no fibres stick to your clothes after the washing cycle. The spin shower removes soap and ensures there is no residue left on your clothes. Air drying your clothes saves your labour by nearly 40%.
This washing machine has a sturdy plastic body with a rat repellent cover to keep these pests away.
- Impeccable performance
- Easy mobility because of magic wheels that rotate in all directions
- Rat technology to discourage rats
- Compared to its peers, it is a heavy appliance
6. Whirlpool 7Kg Semi-automatic Top Loading washing machine – Superb Atom 70S-Grey
The Whirlpool 7Kg Superb Atom 70S comes in different variants of which the Grey version ranks as one of the ideal semi-automatic washing machines under Rs 9,000.
- Energy-efficient washing machine
- The 7Kg capacity makes it an ideal one for small and medium-sized families
- The high rotation speed of 1450rpm
- Smart features like auto restart and scrub station
- Large washtub
The Whirlpool 70S-Grey is an excellent washing machine to have in the home because of its superb features.
The Smart scrub station is one of the best places to scrub your collars and cuffs. This multipurpose tray lets you carry your clothes along after the wash, as well.
The super soak technology lets your clothes soak for a minimum of 25 minutes. The extra-large tub has a volume of 66 litres to accommodate all your clothes with ease.
The washtub comes with an in-built scrubber arrangement to remove excess dirt from your clothes. The lint collector ensures your clothes come out without any fibres sticking to it.
The in-built memory function enables the machine to start from where it left off during the power cut. The powerful 340W motor makes it one of the best performing washing machines in India.
- Extra-large washtub to accommodate all your clothes
- Powerful motor
- In-built memory
- Flexible wash programmes
- The spin tub makes a sound if not balanced properly
7. LG 6.5Kg Semi-automatic Top-Loading Washing Machine – P7550R3FA
This LG 6.5 Kg washing might be a bit expensive as compared to its peers, but it delivers a tremendous performance that saves you a lot of money in the end. Hence, it is one of the best semi-automatic washing machines under Rs 11,000.
- Easy to set up and use
- High speed of 1300rpm
- A capacity of 6.5Kg makes it perfect for small families
- Excellent features like lint collector and rat repellent technology
This LG machine comes with a durable body with a rat repellent coating to keep pests away from the delicate parts of the device.
There are three wash programmes to suit your requirements. The roller jet pulsator displays excellent rotation speed to ensure a better washing experience.
This machine features a collar scrubber to help you to scrub the dirt away from your cuffs, collars and other inaccessible areas. The lint collector ensures that your clothes do not have any traces of fibres on them.
The spin shower facility efficiently removes all traces of soap residue. The best aspect of the machine is the Air Dry technology to reduce your labour, as the clothes come out nearly 40% dry.
- Rat repellent technology
- High rotation speed ensures proper drying of clothes
- Roller jet pulsator with an increased rotation speed
- No need for installation, use it straight away
- No facility of a hot water wash
8. Samsung 6.5Kg Semi-automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – WT657QPNDPGXTL
This Samsung 6.5Kg washing machine is the best one to have if you have a small family of three to four persons. It is a user-friendly machine that lives up to its reputation for being one of the best semi-automatic washing machines under 10,000
- A capacity of 6.5Kg makes it ideal for small families
- Powerful features like Double Storm Dual Jet System
- Robust body
- Comes in a ready-to-use condition
Samsung washing machines come with some innovative technology or other. This product features a Double Storm Dual Jet System to create multi-dimensional water currents to ensure deep cleaning of your clothes.
The EZ Wash Tray is another exciting feature that allows you to scrub your clothes of all the stubborn dirt before pushing them into the washing machine.
The soaking function aids in the elimination of all dirt to leave your clothes exceedingly clean after the wash cycle.
This machine comes equipped with a lint filter to trap the fibres and ensure that your clothes come out tangle-free from the device.
The Air-Dry turbo feature makes your job of drying clothes that much easy. The big wheel enables smooth movement of the machine from one place to the other. This machine comes with a robust plastic body that is rust-proof and hence, durable.
- Double Storm Dual Jet System
- EZ Wash Tray feature
- Easy to use
- Caster wheels to help the natural movement
- Vibrates a bit when drying
9. Whirlpool 6.2 Kg Semi-automatic Top-Loading Washing Machine Superb Atom 621
Here is another Whirlpool product from the Superb Atom Series, but with a reduced capacity of 6.2Kg. Ideal for small families and single individuals, this Whirlpool product is indeed the best 6.2Kg semi-automatic washing machine under Rs 9,000.
- Ideal washing machine for students and bachelors
- A high rotation speed of 1400rpm
- Excellent wash programs
- Large washtub
- Smart scrub station
This Whirlpool appliance features a large washtub that can accommodate all your clothes in one go. The multi-utility tray is an excellent feature.
On the one hand, you can use it to scrub your clothes. On the other, it serves as a tray to carry your clothes along after the wash. The Super Soak technology ensures to remove every speck of dirt from your white uniforms and other sportswear.
The in-built scrubber takes care of whatever dirt remains after the scrubbing, thereby ensuring that your clothes come out clean and spotless.
The lint collector collects the fibres and other lint to protect your washing machine from choking on the debris. It also eliminates fibres from your clothes.
The in-built memory is one of the highlights of this machine, as you can conveniently use it even after a power cut. The machine starts from where it left off.
- Excellent washing performance
- Multiple wash cycles
- Smart scrub station to remove stubborn dirt
- Vibrates more than usual because it is light in weight
Semi Automatic washing machine – Buying Guide
Is there any difference at all between the two types?
Apart from one basic difference, you would not find any in the aspects of washing, cleaning, and drying clothes. The fully automatic machines envisage the washing and drying of clothes in the same container whereas you have to transfer clothes from one container to another when you use a semi-automatic machine. Other than this basic difference, there isn’t any.
Semi-automatic washing machines – The working
In the normal course, semi-automatic washing machines are top-loading machines. You have some front-loading semi-automatic machines as well.
The basic feature of the semi-automatic machine is that you have to manually transfer clothes from the wash tub to the spinning/drying tub. There are some single-tub semi-automatic machines, but they are not very popular.
These machines have an agitator in the form of a centrally placed spindle that performs a function similar to a hand wash by pushing the clothes in alternating directions. The impeller design has a rotating disc that causes a whirlpool-like effect with water propelling the clothes around.
Let us look at some of the merits and demerits of the semi-automatic washing machines.
Semi-automatic washing machines – Merits
In spite of the fact that these machines are gradually giving way to the fully-automatic ones, there are various merits. We shall look at them in brief.
- These semi-automatic machines are inexpensive when compared to their fully automatic counterparts.
- These machines consume less water. In fact, you decide how much water to use and not the machine. There is no need for a constant supply of water for these machines.
- Smaller towns have more power cuts. These machines are useful in the sense that you can stop them and start them whenever you wish.
- You can add clothes at any time during the cycle. It is also possible to use the wash and spin cycle simultaneously.
Semi-automatic washing machines – Demerits
Naturally, you have some demerits as well. It is better for homemakers to be aware of the same before they venture to purchase their washing machines. This enables them to take an informed decision.
- The semi-automatic machines consume a lot of your time in transferring clothes from the wash tub to the spinning tub. In the fully automatic machines, you can load the clothes once and let the machine do the rest.
- You have the facility to control the usage of water, but you do need to maintain a certain minimum level irrespective of the number of clothes you wash. This is not the case with the fully automatic ones as you have certain machines consume less water in case you have fewer clothes to wash.
- It is not advisable to wash delicate items like expensive saris in the semi-automatic machines. This is because the agitator and impeller can tangle your clothes.
- You need to switch off the electric power when you transfer clothes from the wash tub to the spin tub. This is required to prevent unnecessary electric shocks.
Semi-automatic washing machines – FAQ
1. Why does the spinning performance not seem to be good in many machines?
It is a minor problem. One should ensure that the drainpipe is in perfect horizontal position. A drainage system is essential for an efficient spinning performance
2. Why does the machine vibrate abnormally?
This is due to the incorrect balancing of the machine. Ensure the surface is even. Some machines have adjustable screws to balance the machine perfectly.
3. Why does the machine appear noisy at times?
It can happen that coins and debris can get trapped in the impeller. It is necessary to remove them to ensure a smooth performance. Grease the bearings frequently to reduce noise.
4. You experience simultaneous filling and draining of water at times. Why is it so?
Check out the selector on the control panel. If it is set to the ‘Drain’ mode, change it to the ‘Wash’ mode. If the problem persists, there can be an issue with the drain valve.
The semi-automatic machines are gradually phasing out of India as well. However, you do have some efficient machines as listed above. There are people in smaller cities that prefer to use these machines.
These machines are the best for first-time users as it makes a switch from the manual washing to machine washing. Once you get used to these machines, you can always graduate to the fully automatic ones.
If you have any queries regarding the selection of the best semi automatic washing machine, post them in the comments section below and I’ll try to answer them.