Are we not living in an over-hyped world where we have terms like AI thrown at us with amazing regularity?
We hear of ChatGPT, Google AI, and whatnot. Even LG has termed its latest washing machine model THD10NWM as an AI Direct-Drive top-load washing machine. So, let us bust the AI myth once and for all with this review of the LG washing machine.
Is AI a myth?
In simple terms, AI is nothing but a marketing gimmick. It does not do anything that you do not already know.
Yes. This washing machine might be more innovative than other LG washing machines because it suggests the ideal wash cycle for you, depending on how soiled your clothes are. As a result, it sets the water level and washing times accordingly.
This LG machine has Wi-Fi connectivity, allowing you to control and monitor its performance through a specific smartphone app. Besides these additional features, this washing machine does nothing supernatural. So if you can control the machine and make it work for you efficiently, you are smarter than the machine. That should end the AI argument.
Nevertheless, this LG washing machine model is an excellent performer that should make washing clothes easy.
So let us review this LG washing machine. But this review will differ from the run-of-the-mill reviews you generally have on various websites because we will not concentrate on the machine’s specifications or explain its features. You can get them from your LG washing machine brochure. Instead, we shall discuss how these features can help you extract better performance from the machine.
Highlights of LG AI Direct Drive Top Load Washing Machine
Inverter Direct Drive Motor – This feature saves power by adjusting the rotation speed according to the demand. Besides, it eliminates the use of belts and pulleys to deliver superior performance and extend the motor’s durability by reducing wear and tear. Moreover, it explains why LG offers a 10-year warranty on the motor, implying that it is of the highest quality.
Turbo Drum is helpful because the tub and the pulsator rotate in opposite directions, giving you the perfect hand-wash experience. As a result, the clothes come out cleaner from the machine.
6-motion Direct Drive – There is nothing special about the 6-motion Direct Drive feature except that the machine selects the best combination, depending on the wash cycle you choose. In simple words, it is old wine in a new bottle.
LG ThinQ with Wi-Fi – This feature enables you to control and monitor the washing machine’s usage and performance using your smartphone. First, however, you must download the specific app LG ThinQ from PlayStore or AppStore. This washing machine is Wi-Fi enabled and connects with your home broadband Wi-Fi system.
Smart Diagnosis is an excellent feature that helps you diagnose minor and significant issues with the machine. However, you need a smartphone with a specific LG app to diagnose and communicate the problem with LG service technicians.
Jet Spray – Though many users feel Jet Spray is an excellent feature, I found it rather ordinary. Maybe it could be because I use liquid detergents that do not usually stick to clothes. However, if you use powder detergents, they can stick to your clothes. The Jet Spray feature unleashes a speedy jet of water directed at your clothes to remove the detergent and other residues.
The Regular Features
Other regular features include multiple wash programs available in almost all modern washing machines. Memory backup is nothing new, but the feature is good. The Delay Start feature is common in most washing machines. Finally, the Lint filter is useful only if you use detergent powder for washing. Usually, there is no lint when you use liquid detergents.
Quick Wash is handy because it lets me wash my clothes quickly. However, this mode is best when you wash the minimum clothes. Therefore, I recommend using something other than this mode for your regular washing requirements. I also love the Gentle Wash mode because it is perfect for washing my sarees and other garments.
This machine does not have a heater and steam option, but the Amazon website model description shows the machine having these features. Additionally, the original LG website clearly states that the heater function is unavailable on the LG THD10NWM.
Other features like Digital display, child lock, and auto-balance system are also present in almost all leading washing machines.
The machine does not come with a separate stand. However, I suggest having one because it helps the machine to stabilize and not wobble when you wash heavy loads. But the stand increases the machine’s overall height from the ground level. Therefore, I would leave the choice of using the stand to the individual user.
One of the primary drawbacks of this LG washing machine is that it wobbles when you wash heavy loads. But you can get the best out of this machine by avoiding heavy loads. So it is better to check the load before selecting the program and switching on the washing operations.
Another issue I face regularly is that the clothes get entangled after the wash, rinse, and spin cycles. Unfortunately, there is very little you can do about this. First, I suggest removing the clothes carefully from the machine to prevent damaging them. Secondly, I advise you to zip the pants before putting them inside the machine. It protects your garments from damage.
This LG machine does not come with a dryer facility. But the clothes do not come out dripping wet from the machine. It squeezes as much water from the clothes as possible. You can hang them in the sun for an hour or two to complete the drying process. But the drying time could be longer if it is a rainy day.
The machine installation services are good. LG offers excellent customer service, but the service engineers compel you to insure the machine and take an AMC. Furthermore, they coerce users to take the AMC immediately after installation by stating that they offer discounts. However, the AMC does not become effective before the end of the warranty period. So you can wait for the warranty to expire before going for the AMC.
Other minor issues include a low buzzer sound on completing the operations and inaccurate timer settings. The settings change when there is a power cut in the middle of a washing cycle. In addition, the timer settings frequently change during operations. However, that should be fine.
Usually, top-loading washing machines do not require much maintenance. LG machines work well. I have good experience of using LG machines for many years now.
Tips to get the best out of this LG washing machine
- Never overload your washing machine. I advise using the machine at 3/4th load because it ensures all your clothes get immersed in the water and have sufficient space to move. In addition, you experience less entangling if you do not pack your machine up to its total capacity.
- One must always use liquid detergents in washing machines to protect against detergent residue on your garments.
- I always wash my colored clothes separately from my white garments. It prevents my white garments from getting stained by the colors that might leech out from other colored clothes.
- It is better to wash woolen clothes separately because these garments can leave lint because of the loose fibers.
- I prefer to wash heavy garments like jeans separately from other clothes. Secondly, I advise you to zip the jeans and other pants well before putting them inside the machine. Also, check the pockets for coins. That can be troublesome if they get stuck between the pulsator and the drum.
- Though this LG washing machine does not have a heater, it is advisable to soak the heavily soiled clothes in warm water for some time before washing them in the machine. It expedites the washing process and saves power. The pre-wash facility is available, but it takes a long to soak the clothes.
- I use a water softener arrangement between the water source and the machine inlet because we get hard water with high TDS levels. The softener prevents the salts from depositing on the drum sides and the inlet and outlet pipes. But the water softener is only necessary if your area has hard water.
- Performance-wise, this LG machine is good. The DD inverter motor saves power and makes less noise.
- It offers an excellent range of wash cycles. Though it is not innovative, these features are handy.
- Wi-Fi compatibility is a decent feature, but you need a home broadband connection for the Wi-Fi to become functional. However, smartphone compatibility is an excellent feature.
- Smart Diagnosis is a handy feature that helps identify and rectify minor problems with the machine.
- The 10-year warranty on the motor is a good one.
- Though the machine does not make much noise, it wobbles when spinning at full speed and with heavy loads. Mounting the machine on a stand reduces the wobbling considerably.
- The machine does not have an inbuilt heater facility, especially at its price.
- The machine is comparatively expensive to other washing machine models.
I found the LG THD10NWM a decent washing machine. It delivers an efficient performance. Though some of its features are marketing gimmicks, they should not affect the washing experience. I am not a great fan of AI because I can independently select my washing modes and cycles. However, if you are unaware of which mode to select, the AI feature in this LG washing machine can prove helpful.
Overall, this LG washing machine is an excellent washing appliance and fit for every Indian family. The 10L capacity makes it ideal for medium-sized families. Small families can accumulate clothes and use the machine once every three or four days. So the LG top-load fully-automatic washing machine is perfect for Indian washing conditions.