If you go through the pros and cons of RO water purifiers, you will notice that water wastage is the primary drawback of every appliance.
Yes, RO water purifiers waste a lot of water as they remove TDS from the source water.
Generally, an RO water purifiers wastes around two and a half glasses for every glass of water purified. That is a substantial loss, especially in areas facing water shortages.
We live in an area that has a regulated municipal water supply. As this supply is for two hours daily, we have to depend on Groundwater for our requirements. Unfortunately, the groundwater contained high levels of TDS. Therefore, we looked for an RO water purifier that wastes comparatively less water.
The HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver seemed to fit the bill perfectly because the manufacturer stated that this model wastes the least water compared to other machines. According to Hindustan Unilever, the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver wastes around one glass for every glass of water purified. That amounts to nearly 60% reduced wastage.
Let us review the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver RO + UV + MF Water Purifier. But, before that, here are its features in brief.
Features of the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver
- The Eco Recovery Technology delivers efficient purification and high water saving compared to other RO water purifiers.
- Higher Savings in Water – This water purifier generally saves around 80 glasses of water daily.
- 7-Stage Water Purification – This appliance uses a 7-stage water purification process and removes heavy impurities, TDS, harmful viruses, bacteria, and chemicals to provide 100% safe drinking water.
- Mineral Enrichment – This appliance replenishes minerals like calcium and magnesium at the final stage to provide mineral-enriched RO water.
- Suitable for treating all water sources – The HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver can handle all kinds of source water, including municipal, borewells, and tank water. In addition, it is fit to handle TDS levels up to 2000ppm in the source water.
- Sufficient Storage – The 10L water tank should suit the requirements of medium to large families comprising five to eight members comfortably.
- Food Grade Plastic – The water purifier has a food-grade plastic body that prevents harmful toxins from leaching into the RO purified water.
- Filter Change Indicator – This machine features an advanced alert system to warn users 15 days before the Germkill kit expires.
- Complies with purification standards – This water purifier is USEPA compliant.
Aspects we like about the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver.
Here are the features that influenced us to invest in the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver RO + UV + MF Water Purifier.
- The groundwater in our area has TDS levels of more than 800ppm. Besides, we collect the municipal water supply in the underground sump before pumping it to the overhead tank. The HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver water purifier can handle all these different water sources with equal ease.
- The groundwater levels depend on the annual rainfall. Hence, there are chances of water shortage in the summer months. The HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver has a recovery rate of up to 60% compared to other RO water purifiers. When we compared the water wastage with our existing RO water purifier, we found that the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver is a better appliance.
- We have around six people in our house. Therefore, this water purifier is preferable because it features a 10L spacious water tank to cater to their requirements.
- The 7-stage water purification process purifies the source water and provides 100% safe, healthy, and tasty water to drink.
- The Germkill kit change indicator is a welcome feature. It alerts us around 15 days in advance when the Germkill kit is due for a replacement. Besides, the water purifier stops working when the filters are completely exhausted. So we love this safety feature.
- The company provided free installation. Besides, we never faced any customer service-related issues in our area.
- This water purifier does not consume much power. Besides, it handles the water pressure in our area comfortably. The outflow rate is good.
- The machine does not take more than a minute to start functioning. The 10L water tank gets filled up in around 28 to 30 minutes. We also noticed that the wastage was around 8 to 8.5 liters (less than one glass for every glass of water purified).
- The water source had nearly TDS levels of nearly 800ppm. After filtration, it reduced to around 150ppm. The rejected water had TDS levels exceeding 1100ppm. We collected it in a separate container to water our plants.
Features we do not like about the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver
While the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver has some excellent features, the manufacturers can improve several aspects.
- This water purifier does not feature a water level indicator, especially when the tank is not full. Instead, it features an LED indicator to show the tank is full. However, if you remove even one glass of water, the LED switches off. As a result, it becomes challenging to know the water level inside the appliance during a power cut. There could have been a transparent window to indicate the water levels in the tank design. Some water purifiers like Kent Supreme Plus have this feature.
- Though the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver consumes less power, it could be more efficient. For example, the machine starts functioning even when I remove one glass of water from the tank. The motor consumes power every time it switches on. Instead, the motor should start functioning when the water level reaches around 50% in the storage tank. It can save power in the long run.
- The Germkill kit is a bit expensive. It costs around Rs 2800 to Rs 3000 in our area. Besides, we also have to replace the sediment filter costing Rs 600. The manufacturers claim the lifespan of these filters at around 6000 liters. Depending on your usage, it could be an annual recurring expense. A lot depends on the TDS levels in the water source. However, the positive aspect is that the Germkill indicator lights up about a fortnight in advance, providing sufficient time to arrange for the replacement.
- Though we did not face any installation and after-sales customer service issues, the same cannot be said of all centers. Many users have expressed dissatisfaction with customer service. Besides, there are complaints of service personnel pressurizing users to provide 5-star ratings without using the machine. The company needs to address these problems immediately.
- The manufacturer could have installed FR 400 in the machine, especially when they advertise that the appliance can handle TDS levels up to 2000ppm.
- Since the machine has a 10L storage tank, it is bulky.
- If the input water pressure is less than 10psi, you need to invest in a pressure-enhancing pump. Similarly, you must install a pressure-reducing valve if the input water pressure exceeds 30psi. Finally, this machine is not ideal if the input water pressure exceeds 60psi. All these additions cost money.
Related: Aquaguard Aura Review
Frequently Asked Questions – HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver
Here are some FAQs concerning the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver that every consumer should know.
What does the Germkill Kit contain?
The Germkill Kit contains the following items.
- Pre-sediment filter
- Pre-RO carbon filter
- One microfilter
- One RO membrane
- A TDS modulator
- An integrated post-RO carbon filter
How does the Germkill indicator function?
The HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver features a Germkill indicator to warn users a fortnight in advance about the filters nearing exhaustion. Therefore, users need to replace the filters in time. If they do not, the machine stops functioning and does not dispense any water. Thus, it ensures high safety.
What are the operational specifications of the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver?
Everyone should know the operational specifications of the HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver water purifier.
- Weight – Around 8.3Kg
- Water Flow Rate – Approximately 24 liters per hour (depending on the input water pressure rate)
- Recovery Percentage – Up to 60%
- TDS reduction – Approximately 90%
- Power Rating – 60W
- Pressure Rating – 10psi to 30psi
- TDS Handling – up to 2000ppm
- Hardness Handling – up to 500mg/liter
- Iron – Maximum of 0.3mg/liter
- Turbidity – 1 NTU
What should one do when there is no RO purified water in the storage tank?
One should check for LED indications if there is no water in the tank. If the LEDs blink continuously, it indicates a lack of water supply. It is better to check the water supply or whether the ball valve is closed. Turning the tap on can resolve this issue. If the issue remains unresolved, it is better to seek professional help.
How long can you use the water stored in the tank?
Generally, it is not advisable to drink water stored in the tank for more than two days. You run the risk of recontamination. It is better to discard the water and use freshly purified RO water. This water purifier does not contain an additional UV lamp in the water storage tank as some other models do.
What is the frequency of changing the Germkill kit?
A lot depends on the quality of the input water source. Under normal circumstances, the filters have a lifespan of 6000 liters. Therefore, they require replacement after purifying 6000 liters of water. The frequency of changing the Germkill kit depends on your usage. Usually, households consume around 20 liters of water a day. Therefore, it could take around nine to ten months for you to change the Germkill kit. However, if the turbidity level in the source water is high, you might have to change the pre-sediment filter more frequently.
How do we know it is time to change the filters?
Usually, you will notice a change in the water taste after prolonged usage. The HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver features Germkill Alert, warning users that the filters will expire within 15 days. You can change the Germkill kit immediately. The specialty of the Germkill Indicator is that it causes the machine to stop functioning if you fail to replace the filters in time. Therefore, it ensures high levels of safety.
How much does the Germkill kit cost?
Generally, the Germkill kit costs around Rs 3000. The service technician could charge around Rs 500 for replacing them. If you have installed an iron filter, you might have to change that, as well. It could cost you another Rs 250.
Is this water purifier ideal for high-rise apartments?
It depends on the input water pressure. If the water pressure is higher than 60psi, it is not advisable to purchase this water purifier. It works properly if the water pressure is between 10psi and 30psi. You need a pressure-reducing pump if the water pressure is more than 30psi. Alternatively, you require a pressure-enhancing pump if the pressure is less than 10psi. All these additional attachments cost extra.
What is the MF function in this HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver?
MF stands for Micro Filtration. This feature is useful if the source water has high TDS levels. It helps to remove the impurities that pass through the RO membrane. This filter is situated after the RO membrane to ensure that the RO purified water is safe for human consumption.