The international community prefers the front-loading machines as compared to the top-loading ones preferred by people in India.
They have valid reasons for doing so as well because there is a great difference in the way people wash clothes in India and abroad. Let us look at some of the differences in preferences.
Difference in preference
People in India are used to washing clothes in semi-automatic machines. These machines are top loading machines. Hence, when people graduate to the fully-automatic ones, they naturally prefer the top-loading machines.
In the case of foreign countries, people have made this transition much earlier. Hence, you find them adapting easily to the front-loading machines.
Secondly, there are advantages of front-loading machines. They use less water in comparison to the top-loading ones.
Today, you have washing machines that heat water before commencing the washing cycle. Under such circumstances, the front-loading machines save electricity because they use less water. At the same time, they have longer wash cycles.
Drying of clothes is more pronounced in the front-loading machines. Let us look into the individual advantages and disadvantages of the front-loading machines before taking the decision to buy one.
Front-loading machines – Benefits
- Front-loading machines score very high on the attraction quotient with their glass doors and chrome accents.
- These machines come in comparatively larger capacities thereby allowing you to wash clothes like comforters and other bulky items.
- You do not see these machines having agitators or impellers in the wash tub. Hence, this leaves you with greater space and a comparatively gentler washing action.
- There is ample space on top of the machines to stack the dryers. Hence, you tend to save a lot of space in your homes.
- Compared to the top-loading machines, these front-loaders use less water and detergents.
- As far as performance and fabric care is concerned, these machines are excellent.
Front-loaders – Drawbacks
Just as you have the advantages, there are disadvantages of using these machines as well. A balanced homemaker will factor these drawbacks as well before choosing the right machine for her home. Let us list out some of the drawbacks for you.
- The front loading machines entail bending the backs for both loading and unloading activity. This can be a tough exercise form many people, especially as they grow older.
- They can buy bases for placing the front-loading machines at a comfortable height, but these bases can be expensive thereby increasing the overall investment.
- The washing tubs require a higher degree of maintenance to avoid the formation of moulds and mildew. These formations can give out unpleasant odours as well.
- Compared to the top-loaders, these machines are undeniably larger. Hence, you end up using more space on the ground. Space can be at a premium in many Indian homes.
Front-loading machines – Precautions to take
You know the advantages as well as disadvantages of using front-loading washing machines. Therefore, you should also be aware of the precautions to take in order to achieve the maximum efficiency.
1. It is always better to use High Efficiency (HE) soap and that too in the right quantity. These machines use less water than the top-loading machines. In case you use more soap, it can cause the unnecessary build-up of soap thereby causing servicing problems. It also increases the odours and affects the cleaning performance.
2. You should leave the front door open when the machine is not in use. Thus, you avoid the formation of moulds and mildew and keep the machine smelling fresh all the time.
3. These machines have a rubber coating on the doors to ensure against water leakage. One should wash them at regular intervals to prevent mould formation.
Front loaders – FAQs
1. How can front-load machines be termed as economical?
One has to agree that front-load machines are expensive initially. However, over a period they save you money by way of lesser consumption of electricity, water, and detergents.
2. Does using less water and detergents affect the cleaning of clothes?
It does not affect the cleaning procedure in any way. This is because the front-loaders have sensors that automatically adjust the quantity of water depending on the weight of the load. Of course, you do not see much water while the process is on. That does not result in an inferior wash.
3. What is the optimum temperature for cleaning clothes?
You have machines in the market that are capable of giving high-quality washes with temperatures as low as 30 degrees as well. These machines are carefully programmed to provide an optimum washing experience.
4. Do you experience tangling of clothes in these machines?
The front-load machines use a tumbling action as compared to the spinning action in the top-loading machines. You do not have agitators and impellers in these machines. Hence, you do not experience any tangling of clothes. You can also use mesh bags to put on the heavier clothes.