Most Indian home has a water purifier supplying pure water to the household. Water purifiers, especially those working on RO and other purification systems, are comparatively new technology.
So, what did people do to purify water before the invention of the modern-day water purifier with RO, UV, UF, TDS controller, Mineralizer, and other purification methods?
They used natural water purification methods like storing water in copper jars or vessels and drinking it in copper tumblers. So, we come to the question, Can copper purify water?
The answer is YES. It can.
What does Ayurveda say about copper water purification?
Ayurveda recommends regular drinking of water stored in copper vessels. Copper water, also known as Tamara Jal in Sanskrit, can balance the three doshas, Vata, Pitha, and Kapha. In addition, copper enriches the water’s nutrient profile by releasing positively-charged copper ions. Hence, it improves our overall health.
However, Ayurveda stipulates that it requires a minimum of eight hours of storage in the copper vessel for efficient diffusion.
How do copper water purifiers work?
Water purifier manufacturers have realized the benefits of copper water for our overall health. So, they have introduced different technologies to infuse copper ions in purified water and mirror Ayurveda’s benefits of copper water.
Let us discuss the copper water purification technology used in prominent water purifier models.
1. Pureit Copper+ Eco Mineral RO+UV+MF Water Purifier
This HUL Pureit water purifier uses Copper Charge Technology, a proprietary technology based on the electrochemical dissolution of copper in water. It ensures precise infusion of copper ions in water to ensure consumption of 2L of copper-charged RO purified water.
This technology adds up to 30% of the RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) for copper. Hence, it claims that the appliance provides purified copper water.
This appliance uses a Copper Enrich Cartridge to infuse copper ions into the RO purified water. Consumers can choose between RO/UV purified water and Copper-enriched RO/UV filtered water by selecting the respective option when the machine dispenses water.
2. Eureka Forbes Active MAXX Copper + Zinc Booster
Eureka Forbes Active MAXX offers copper and zinc infusion simultaneously to provide double the benefits of both metals. This appliance comes equipped with a cartridge that supplies copper and zinc ions in the required quantity to RO-purified water. The purified water passes through the cartridge and collects the copper and zinc ions on their way out.
Besides, the cartridge infuses calcium and magnesium ions to enhance the water taste.
Thus, you can deduce that the copper water purifiers infuse copper ions into RO-purified water. However, it does not store the water in copper tanks for eight hours, as recommended in Ayurveda. Thus, the infusion of copper ions in copper water purifiers is an electro-mechanical process, not a natural one.
Read: Are Copper water purifiers Safe
Advantages and disadvantages of using copper water purifiers
Benefits of using copper water purifiers
- The water purifier manufacturers use a chemical process to infuse copper ions into the RO purified water. This copper ion infusion improves water quality.
- Aquaguard and Pureit have patented their copper infusion technologies. In addition, the Pureit model is USEPA compliant, whereas the Aquaguard model has BIS certifications and adheres to IS-10500:2012 specifications.
- Copper infusion is an additional purification feature. Generally, copper water purifiers already provide RO and other water purification features.
- Copper water purifier manufacturers claim their products provide all the benefits of drinking copper water.
- The Pureit Copper+ Eco Mineral RO+UV+MF water purifier features an innovative and automatic copper cleaning mode that senses and schedules copper auto-cleaning. Hence, it provides fresh copper infusion at all times. Therefore, it ensures against copper oxidation.
Drawbacks of using copper water purifiers
- The copper enrich cartridge or the zinc-copper cartridge need replacement after purifying around 6000 liters of water. These cartridges are inbuilt into the machine and not available independently. Besides, Aquaguard has not yet launched its Active Copper Zinc booster plan. So, it is not clear how Aquaguard will arrange for the replacement.
- While the Pureit machine offers an option for the consumer not to go for copper purification, the Aquaguard appliance does not have such a facility.
- These appliances provide copper dispensing in water in real-time. Unfortunately, therefore, users cannot avail of this benefit when there is no electricity.
- Though these appliances claim they infuse appropriate quantities of copper ions into the water, you cannot tell if the proportion exceeds permissible levels. Consuming more copper than the RDA for copper can cause copper toxicity, leading to nausea, vomiting, and indigestion. It does not happen when you store water in copper vessels. You can always discard the water if it remains stagnant for more than 14 to 16 hours.
Benefits of consuming copper water.
Consuming copper water has its benefits.
- Copper has antimicrobial properties. Hence, it kills bacteria and other harmful microbes. However, studies show that copper water acquires these properties if you store water for up to 16 hours in a copper vessel. Therefore, this study lays hollow the claims of copper water purifier manufacturers.
- Copper has anti-convulsive properties that can prevent seizures. In addition, copper helps synthesize phospholipids essential for myelin sheath formation to facilitate the inflow of impulses in the brain. So, drinking copper water regularly can promote mental health.
- Drinking copper water regulates thyroid gland functioning by enhancing the secretion of thyroid hormones. Conversely, thyroid problems arise when copper levels in the blood are low.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of copper provide relief to arthritis patients. In addition, drinking copper water supports bone health.
- Everyone knows the anti-aging properties of copper. Copper water is packed with antioxidants that fight free radicals and prevent wrinkle formation. Regular drinking of copper water results in glowing skin.
- Copper has detox properties. Hence, it regulates liver and kidney functions by helping eliminate waste products and proper nutrient absorption. As a result, copper water is an excellent home remedy for indigestion, ulcers, and infections. The best way to detox is to drink one glass of copper water daily on an empty stomach. Please note to store water in a copper vessel overnight and drink that water. Drinking copper-enriched water from a copper water purifier will not provide this benefit.
- Drinking copper water can melt body fats and aid weight loss.
- Copper enhances iron absorption and cell formation. Besides, it regulates iron flow in the body. Thus, drinking copper water is an excellent cure for anemia.
- Copper helps regulate blood pressure and cholesterol levels and maintain optimum heart rate. In addition, it prevents plaque formation and dilates blood vessels to improve blood flow to the heart.
These Ayurveda benefits of drinking copper water are good if you store water in copper vessels and allow the natural leaching of copper into the water. However, the copper water purifiers do not hold water in copper tanks but use different technologies to enrich the copper content in water. The manufacturers claim that their technologies infuse copper ions into the water and make it as good as natural copper water.
Source: Artofliving, Healthline