The question on everyone’s mind is how often do you clean a baffle filter?
The cleaning frequency depends on your usage and the cooking volume. Commercial establishments like restaurants and cafes require the baffle filters to be cleaned almost daily.
However, domestic users can clean these filters once in three months. The optimum frequency should be cleaning the filters monthly.
Here is how you clean baffle filters.
The most effective way of cleaning baffle filters is manually washing the filters.
- Removing the filter from the hood is of utmost importance. However, one has to note that the filter can be heavy.
- The next step is to place the filter carefully in a sink containing warm soapy water.
- Use a non-abrasive sponge to scrub the plates and remove the grease and oily residues. One should be careful not to use bleach or harsh chemicals because you could end up corroding the metal plates.
- Wash the filter under a running tap to remove the soap residue and allow it to dry entirely before fitting it into the hood again.
One of the prime benefits of baffle filters is that they are safe to wash in a dishwasher.
- After removing the filter from the hood, you should open it and place it in a high-temperature dishwasher.
- Fill up the soap compartment with liquid soap. One should refrain from using harsh chemicals, like acids or bleaching powders.
- Complete the washing cycle.
- Check whether there is any residue left on the filters.
- Ensure to dry the filter before re-installing it inside the hood.
The Water Soak Method
Manual washing can be a labor-intensive way of cleaning baffle filters. An easy method of cleaning baffle filters is the soaking method. Many people prefer this method because it saves manual labor. However, you will require a hood filter soak tank to proceed.
- Fill the soak tank with water and leave a space of up to six inches from the top.
- Add soap or a metal-safe cleaner solution to the water, specially designed for cleaning baffle filters.
- Remove the filters from the hood and gently wipe off the excess grease from the curved plates.
- Soak the filter in the tank and leave it for soaking overnight. If you have a large tank, you can quickly soak up to six filters at a time.
- Remove the filters in the morning and rinse them properly to remove any soap residue.
- Dry the filters entirely before installing them into the hood again.
Do baffle filters require frequent cleaning?
It is advisable to maintain the baffle filters clean to avoid exposing those working in the kitchen to the excess heat that could build up in the kitchen with a clogged kitchen chimney. In addition, cleaning the baffle filters on time allows the air and smoke to move freely and make the kitchen an enjoyable workplace.