Refrigerators come in various sizes according to our convenience. They are also available in different configurations, like double-door, single-door, side-by-side, bottom-mount freezers, and many more. Each of these appliances has its benefits and drawbacks. This article discusses the plus and minus points of bottom-mount refrigerators.
Bottom Mount Refrigerators
The bottom-mount refrigerator is an innovative concept available in specific double-door fridges. The bottom-mount refrigerator differs from the conventional fridge because it has the freezer mounted at the bottom instead of at the top. First, look at vital statistics about bottom-mount refrigerators before discussing the pros and cons.
- Amana introduced the world’s first bottom-mount fridge in 1947.
- However, it was not until 2016 that India got its first bottom-mount refrigerator when Haier introduced its 450L BMR to cater to the specific needs of large families.
- Subsequently, brands like Bosch, Whirlpool, Godrej, Panasonic, Toshiba, LG, Hitachi, Samsung, etc., introduced their bottom-mount refrigerators in India.
Pros of Bottom-Mount Refrigerators
- Looks Trendier: The bottom-mount refrigerator has a trendier appearance and looks sophisticated compared to the conventional top-mounted freezer models.
- Better convenience: People with backache find the bottom-mounted refrigerator beneficial because they need not bend their backs too much when operating the fridge component. Usually, people use the fridge portion more than the freezer compartments. Thus, a bottom-mounted refrigerator model proves helpful. It is also an ideal appliance for senior citizens because they need not trouble their backs too often.
- Place heavy food comfortably: Consumers preferring non-vegetarian food find the bottom-mount refrigerator helpful because it allows them to place heavy meat pieces comfortably. It eliminates the problem of lifting these heavy meat pieces and placing them at the top in a conventional fridge model.
- Better storage options: A bottom-mount freezer allows the stacking of more food because it is easily accessible. It becomes more convenient to adjust the space available inside the freezer and use it to the maximum extent possible. The bottom-mount freezer models usually have a larger freezer compartment than their top-mounted refrigerator counterparts. It allows for storing more food items comfortably.
- Better Organized: A bottom-mounted refrigerator with sliding bottom compartments is convenient to operate. It becomes easy to manage space and remain better organized.
- Saves Space: The bottom-mounted freezers are comparatively slimmer than the top-mounted freezers. Therefore, these appliances are better equipped for small kitchens where space is at a premium.
- Easy to store frequently used food: Another exciting advantage of the bottom-mounted refrigerator models is that the refrigerator compartment is at eye level, making it easy to place or remove frequently used items like milk, cheese, eggs, etc.
- Variable Temperature settings: Usually, the bottom-mount refrigerators have variable temperature settings for the freezer. Hence, it enables you to maintain your foods fresh for extended durations.
While bottom-mount refrigerators have their benefits, you should know the drawbacks.
Cons of bottom-mounted refrigerators
- More expensive: The cost factor is crucial. Bottom-mounted refrigerators are comparatively more expensive than their top-mounted counterparts. Bottom-mounted fridges with French doors are considerably more costly.
- The freezer becomes challenging: People who use the freezer more than the fridge, especially those with non-vegetarian preferences, can find it challenging to bend down frequently to remove and place food inside the appliance. For example, turkeys and hams can be heavy. So, senior citizens can face it challenging to bend down and lift these heavy objects.
- Easy access to children: Another prominent disadvantage of the bottom-mounted refrigerators is that children can access them conveniently. It can be a health issue, especially if you wish to discourage your child from gorging on ice creams and other frozen treats. A top-mounted refrigerator is a better option because it can be out of their reach.
- Fewer models to choose from: Compared to the conventional top-mounted freezer models, bottom-mount refrigerators are scarce. You do not have a wide choice.
We have discussed the various merits and demerits of bottom-mount refrigerators. You can select your required product accordingly.