Summers in India can become quite oppressive. The global warming phenomenon has ensured that summers starts earlier than usual. At the same time, they last longer as well. Hence, you have summers ascending on our towns as early as March and continue up to August or September.
The air conditioner becomes an important accessory during these summer months. Hence, it becomes imperative to choose the right equipment.
The higher the number of air conditioners available in the market, the more difficult it becomes to choose the right one for our homes. This buying guide will help you to choose the right kind of window AC for your house.
There are many quality window AC units available online in India. Some of the best brands are Hitachi, Voltas, LG, Carrier, and Onida. We will discuss some individual brands as well later on in this article.
Table of Contents
- Best Window Air Conditioners in India 2018
- Hitachi RAW518KUDZ1 1.5 Ton 5-Star
- Hitachi RAV518HUD 1.5 Ton 5-Star
- Carrier CACW18EA3W 18K ESTRA 3-Star 1.5 ton
- Hitachi RAW318KUD 1.5 Ton 3-Star
- LG LWA5CS5A1 1.5 ton 5-Star
- LG LWA5GW3A 1.5 ton 3-Star
- Voltas 185DY 1.5 ton 5-Star
- Voltas 183CYA 1.5 ton 3-Star
- Ondia WA185FLT 1.5 ton 5-Star
- Hitachi RAW511KUD 1 Ton 5-Star
- Window AC Buying Guide
Best Window Air Conditioners in India 2018
Window AC units are popular in India. People have a traditional outlook towards life. They attach a lot of nostalgia to their belongings. This is why you still have a demand for window AC units in India. We shall review about 10 window AC units of different companies and different tonnages. You will get a fair idea about which one to choose.
Hitachi RAW518KUDZ1 1.5 Ton 5-Star
Available in Amazon, this 1.5 ton 5-star Hitachi window AC is an energy saver. The salient features of this AC are as follows.
- Auto Restart function eliminates the need for resetting the AC settings manually after a power cut.
- This AC works in five modes, Powerful Mode, Auto Mode, Cool Mode, Dry Mode, and Auto Power Save Mode.
- Ideal for medium-sized rooms in the range of 110 to 150 sq ft.
- Working on the Auto Climate Technology, this AC does not have the Anti-bacteria filter.
Hitachi RAV518HUD 1.5 Ton 5-Star
This is an advanced version of the AC listed above. Available online on Amazon, this AC saves up to 25% more energy as compared to Non-Inverter 1 star AC. The notable features of this machine are
- The Auto start-stop function is a novel one.
- It has other advanced features like Kaimin function, Supercool function, Digilock, and pre-coated aluminium fins.
- This AC displays a 10% higher performance in the peak summer season.
- Twin Air flow function for better cooling.
- It has a dust filter but not an anti-bacterial filter.
Carrier CACW18EA3W 18K ESTRA 3-Star 1.5 ton
The use of copper condenser makes this traditional AC maker one of the best in the business. As far as energy efficiency is concerned, this machine is streets ahead of its contemporaries. Let us look at some salient features.
- The dehumidification factor ensures that you have a comfortable time.
- The copper condenser coil is the main reason why you have greater efficiency in cooling.
- The rotary compressor is a powerful one capable of delivering a cooling capacity of 5250W.
- Experience great energy savings at the most affordable prices with this AC.
Hitachi RAW318KUD 1.5 Ton 3-Star
This is a 1.5 ton AC, fit for an average room of size 110 to 150 sq ft. Having a copper condenser, this AC has other special features as follows.
- The Auto restart obviates the need for manual intervention to reset the AC settings after a power cut.
- Having an energy rating of 3.09, this AC is available online at Amazon.
- This AC has an Auto-climate adjustment technology whereby it sets the temperature depending on the temperature in the area.
- This AC works in 3 modes, dry mode, power mode, and Auto Power save mode.
LG LWA5CS5A1 1.5 ton 5-Star
Available online on Amazon, this 1.5 ton AC is the perfect cooling machine for room size 110 to 150 sq ft. This energy saving AC has other interesting features as listed below.
- The Auto restart facility is a boon because there is no need for you to wake up and switch on the AC in the middle of the night after a power cut.
- The Sleep mode is an excellent feature whereby the machine adjusts the temperature accordingly to make your sleep more comfortable.
- With a cooling capacity of 4850 W, this AC works on the strong rotary compressor.
- The energy saver mode is the highlight of this AC.
LG LWA5GW3A 1.5 ton 3-Star
This 3-star AC can save energy up to 15% as compared to the non-inverter 1-star machines. Available at competitive prices on Amazon, you can see some good features in this AC.
- The rotary compressor makes it a powerful AC with a cooling capacity of 4850 W
- The AC uses high-quality R-22 refrigerant.
- The auto restart and the sleep mode make it an intelligent AC on many ways.
Voltas 185DY 1.5 ton 5-Star
This Voltas AC has a high reputation of having some of the best facilities in this product segment. Available on AMazon, let us look at some of the features of this equipment.
- The use of the aluminium condenser makes it a cost-effective AC in many ways.
- The sleep mode enables you to have a comfortable rest because the machine adjusts the temperature accordingly.
- The anti-dust and the negative ion filter ensure that you get good clean air to breathe.
- The rotary compressor makes it a powerful one.
- There are other notable features like Turbo mode, LCD remote, and self-diagnosis.
Voltas 183CYA 1.5 ton 3-Star
This AC is economical in more ways than one. Ideal for room size of 110 to 150 sq ft. this AC has some beautiful features.
- The auto start facility is a common one among all AC units.
- This is a smart AC in many ways because it adjusts the temperature accordingly while you sleep.
- The presence of the anti-bacterial and nano filters ensures clean and healthy air to breathe.
- The self-diagnosis facility alerts you to call the technician for repairs in case something is wrong with the equipment.
Ondia WA185FLT 1.5 ton 5-Star
This 1.5 ton is great for room size of 110 to 150 sq ft. This AC has a copper condenser making it energy efficient equipment. This AC has various other features as follows.
- The Auto restart facility is a notable one.
- Working on a rotary compressor, this AC machine is a powerful one.
- The cooling capacity of 5100 W makes it an energy efficient AC unit.
- However, this AC does not have the anti-bacterial and dust filters. In spite of this disadvantage, it is a popular machine.
Hitachi RAW511KUD 1 Ton 5-Star
One of the rare 1 ton AC with a 5-star rating, this model has a copper condenser thereby making it an excellent cooling machine in its own right.This AC has the following attractive features.
- Equipped with a rotary compressor, this AC is a powerful one with an impressive 3.39 W/W EE rating.
- The Auto Climate Technology makes it a smart AC in many ways as it adjusts the temperature depending on the room temperature.
- The Kaimin feature is an added attraction as it adjusts the temperature during the night.
- This AC comes with an Anti-bacteria filter, a feature not available in the three models described above.
Window AC Buying Guide
This machine (AC) has a reputation of serving us for a long time. Usually, one does not change or replace air conditioners at least for a period of 6 to 8 years. This makes it important to choose the most energy efficient machine for our homes. Now, you have a lot of air conditioners in the market.
You have different types of machines like the window AC units, the split AC units, the inverter air conditioners, and the portable air conditioners. We are not referring to the centrally air-conditioned units as all because they do not come under the category of individual air conditioners. Also, have a look at Split AC vs Window AC.
The best AC is one that offers you the highest efficiency while consuming the least amount of electricity. At the same time, it should be affordable as well. Thus, you see that a lot of factors come into consideration when you sit down to buy the best AC for your house.
In addition to the above-mentioned factors, there are certain other factors that should influence your choice of air conditioners. Let us look into these factors. Some of them are not under your control whereas some are.
- The city where you live
- The area of the room where you wish to install the AC
- Daily usage of the AC unit
- Number of months in a year you will be using the AC
Let us consider the factors one by one.
City of residence
The outdoor temperature is an important factor. Higher the temperature, the more will be the load on the AC. Summers in Delhi can be hotter than that in Mumbai. At the same time, summers in Mumbai can be longer than that in Delhi. This is one factor that is not under your control. Hence, you cannot do much about this. Let us now consider the factors that you can control.
Size of the room
When we speak about the size of the rooms, we refer to the volume and not the area of the room. Normally, rooms in India are around 10 feet in height. If we discount this factor as a common one, you are left with the area. Greater the area, the more powerful will be your AC. Automatically, this affects your budget. Choosing the AC with the right tonnage / capacity is important for optimum performance.
If you have an AC with a lower capacity, you are putting more pressure on the AC to cool the rooms. This affects the performance and increases the electricity consumption as well. At the same time, installing an AC with a higher capacity can also result in overcooling of the room. Choosing the right mix is important.
Based on the area of the room, this table will give you a decent idea of capacity of the AC to go for.
There are other factors as well, such as presence of electronic instruments in the room, the cupboards, and wardrobes, etc. However, the table mentioned above should suffice.
Daily usage and number of months you will use the AC
You need to factor in this aspect to calculate the amount of electricity you would consume. This affects the ROI of the air conditioner.
BEE Star Rating
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency has stipulated ratings for each type of AC equipment. It accounts for various factors, the most important of which is the consumption of electricity. This is the efficiency of the AC unit. Based on this efficiency, they have stipulated ratings ranging from 1 star to 5 stars.
Naturally, the 5-star rated AC units are the most efficient. They are the most highly priced as well. However, the costs even out in the long run because 5-star AC units save you a lot in energy consumption costs.
Hence, it is always better to choose a window AC with 5-star rating. They cost you more initially, but save you a lot of money over the entire life of the AC equipment.
When you go shopping for an AC, you should be aware of certain aspects or features of window AC units. Let us look into some of these simple but essential aspects. Also, Read Understand AC jargon like ISEER, EER, BEE Star Ratings
Aluminium coil vs Copper coil
You have different types of coils in an AC unit. There are condenser coils, evaporator coils, etc. The materials used for manufacturing these coils are important. Usually, you find aluminium or copper are the principal materials. Which of these two is preferable?
Efficiency wise, you can see that copper has a higher heat transfer rate. It is also less corrosive than aluminium while having higher coil strength as well. Aluminium coils are economical as they are cheaper. One should have an idea about these simple aspects. Checkout our in-depth guide about Copper Coil vs Aluminium coil in AC.
Features you normally encounter in an AC
Marketing is a very important aspect. You find different manufacturers highlight different features of their products. It can be very easy for you to get influenced by their claims. Of course, they are not wrong in any way. Does it do any harm to you to know how to read between the lines? On the contrary, you become more informed and are thus able to make a better choice.
Let us look at some features in an AC unit.
The AC has a dual responsibility. It provides cool air and brings down the temperature inside the room. In addition, they have a responsibility to provide pure air for breathing. Hence, you have modern-day AC units having anti-bacteria filters. These filters can trap dust mites, pollen, bacteria, and other allergens thereby providing fresh air. At the same time, it protects the internal parts of the AC and increases its life.
These filters have the job of filtering out the dust from the air. In fact, one should clean these filters once a month. This will give you an idea as to the amount of dust we inhale every day. The accumulation of dust on these filters makes the AC work harder thereby reducing its life. This explains why cleaning dust filters should be our prime concern.
Air contains a lot of moisture. This explains why we feel stuffy and sweaty in the summers. The AC has a dehumidifying function that removes the excess humidity from the room. The removal of the humidity from the room makes it comfortable and reduces the chances of bacterial infections as well.
This functionality ensures that there is no accumulation of mould or bacteria on the internal parts of the AC. This improves the cooling thereby increasing the efficiency and enhancing the life of the AC unit.
With the advancing technology, you have this ‘Auto Detect’ facility in the modern-day AC units. This function enables the AC to detect the number of people in the room and adjust the temperature accordingly. Now, that is what you call a smart AC.
Frequently Asked Questions1Which AC is better? Split AC or Window AC
Honestly speaking, the split AC is more efficient than the window AC of similar tonnage. The BEE Star ratings show that the window AC units are always 1 point below the split AC ratings for similar tonnage. However, window AC units are less expensive than the split AC units. An important point to note is that the split AC units are economical in the long run as they save you a lot of electricity.2Is it better to go for a higher tonnage of AC?
A lot depends on the size of your room. You can check up the size of your room with the table provided in this article and decide accordingly. An AC unit of higher tonnage can cause overcooling of the room. In addition, it can consume more electricity as well.3I have a small budget. Should I go for a window AC or split AC?
Let us be very honest. A split AC is more efficient than a window AC of equal tonnage. Considering the moving trends, manufacturers are concentrating more on the split AC units. Remember, you normally get 5-star window AC in 1.5 ton alone. Research shows that a 4-star split AC is equivalent to a 5-star window AC. Therefore, it is advisable to go for a split AC. However, if your budget is really tight, go for a 5-star window AC of 1.5 tons.4Does my AC require a stabilizer?
It depends on the input voltage fluctuations in the place you reside. If there are huge voltage fluctuations, it is always better to have a stabilizer to absorb the sudden surges. It can protect your AC from unnecessary damage. The advantage is that you will be able to use the AC even during low input voltage as well. These stabilizers maintain the output voltage at the desirable levels.5How much electricity does an AC consume?
A lot of factors go into the calculation of electricity consumption. They range from the tonnage of the AC to the temperature setting. The speed of the compressor is also an important factor. The fixed speed compressors consume more electricity than the variable speed compressors. The thumb rule is that a 1450 Watt AC will consume 1.16 units per hour if it is a fixed speed AC. In case of the inverter AC units, the consumption will be around 0.928 units per hour. These are approximate values.
We have just seen the top 10 window AC machines available in India in 2018. Summer is approaching very fast. Hence, you get various attractive deals on the online stores as well. You have information about the type of AC to choose. You have the top 10 machines as well with you. It should not be difficult for you to make the choice now.
- 9 Best Air Conditioners in India (2018) – AC Buying Guide & Reviews!
- R32 vs R410A vs R22 vs R290 (Air Conditioner Refrigerants)
- PM 2.5 Filter (Particulate Matter 2.5) – What they are & How they Work!
- Types of Filters Used in Air Conditioners and Air Purifiers
- Demand for Air Conditioners would triple by 2050!