Are you looking for the best water purifier for your home?
Well, you have come to the correct place.
These days, installing a water purifier has become essential for every home. Misuse of water bodies, Industrial growth, Increasing population, and environmental degradation has polluted the water.
The main reason why we use a water purifier is to provide our family with 100% Safe and Mineral-rich drinking water and to prevent waterborne diseases.
RO or Reverse Osmosis is the most commonly used water purification in India, suitable for all kinds of water sources like Borewells, River water, or Municipality Supplied water.
RO is a very Robust technology that can purify the most contaminated, even salty water in just one go.
RO Water Purifiers that come with a combination of UV, UF, and MF filters can remove all sorts of impurities like Mud, Sand, Bacteria, Viruses, Cysts, and dissolved salts like calcium, magnesium, potassium, and hard metals like lead and arsenic, etc.
You have to be very careful while selecting an RO water purifier because, along with removing contaminants, it is equally important to maintain a good amount of vital minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium in the water.
The most important thing you have to concentrate on when selecting a water purifier is TDS.
Please don’t get confused.. we will explain in a detailed way.
TDS means “Total Dissolved Solids,” which is the measure of dissolved minerals, salts, metals, and impurities in the water.
According to the Bureau of Indian Standards, water up to 500 ppm is safe for human consumption.
The ideal Range of TDS is between 100 and 300ppm. TDS between 300 to 500 ppm is also acceptable.
If the TDS is above 500 ppm, it means the water is Hard and not fit for Drinking.
TDS range below 100 ppm is not ideal as it is devoid of most minerals.
|TDS Level||Water Quality||Viruses/Bacteria||Ideal water purifier|
|Below 500||Good||Yes||UV water purifier should be sufficient|
|Below 500||Muddy/turbid||Yes||Go for a UV + UF water purifier|
|Above 500||Good||Yes||RO + UV water purifier with TDS controller/mineralizer should be okay|
|Above 500||Muddy/turbid||Yes||RO + UV + UF water purifier with mineralized/TDS controller should be ideal|
|Above 2000||NA||NA||Unfit for domestic consumption|
Before ordering a water purifier, the first thing you should do is to find the TDS levels in your water source.
It is very easy to measure the TDS in water; You can purchase a TDS meter for ₹150 or ₹200. Just take a glass of water and insert the TDS meter into it, and it will show you the reading.
If the TDS level is below 400ppm, there is no need to buy an RO water purifier; you can install a UV UF water purifier. If the TDS Levels are more than 500ppm, you need to get an RO UV water purifier.
With so many brands in the market and declaring that their purification technology is best, it gets confusing to choose the right water purifier.
You might get frustrated by various marketing terms like RO, UV, UF, TDS, Cooper RO, Mineral Booster, Mineralizer… But not anymore
This post will explain all the latest water purification technologies in a simple and detailed way.
Which is the Best Water Purifier in India?
Every month we spend hundreds of hours researching and testing the popular RO water purifier models to put forward the list of the top 10 RO water purifiers that are Perfectly suitable for All Indian homes.
Our Research includes Testing popular water purifier models by inputting both Groundwater and Municipality supplied water, Contacting hundreds of real users using the particular models, listening to their feedback, taking to customer care, and evaluating their support quality. We also consider Annual Maintenance Cost.
We have been reviewing water purifiers since 2016, and we have answered more than 700 questions in the comments section.
This page has helped thousands of customers to make an informed decision to select the ideal water purifier for their home.
Best Water Purifiers in India 2021
1. KENT Supreme Extra
Best Selling RO Water Purifier in India With Zero Water Wastage, but there is a catch.
We have been testing Kent RO water purifiers since 2016. Previous models like Kent Pearl, Kent Grand have a faulty design. The components are not tightly packed in those models, so many users complained about cockroaches entering the machine.
Over the years, the design has improved a lot. The Kent Supreme extra comes with a Food Grade Plastic Body, and the components are push-fit which means the purifier is leak-proof.
Coming to the Purification Process, this Kent model comes with a 7 Stage purification process That Includes treatment of the water by Reverse Osmosis, Ultraviolet Bulb, and UF (UltraFiltration) Chambers.
This Model is suitable for all kinds of water sources like Borewells, Overhead tank water, river water, or municipality-supplied tap water. This Kent RO model can even purify water having TDS levels up to 2000 ppm.
- 7 Stage Water Purification With RO + UV + UF + Alkaline + TDS Controller
- Zero Water Wastage
- Storage Capacity is 8 Litres, and Water Purification Capacity is 20L/Hr
- In-Tank UV LED for keeping water pure for longer periods
- TDS Controller for adjusting the TDS level of output water.
- Suitable for All Kinds of water sources Municipality, Tap, salty water.
- Excellent Build Quality with Push-fit Components for Leak-Proof Performance.
- Filter Change and UV Fail Alarms
- 1 Year Warranty on the Product Plus 3 Years no service charge
- The annual Maintenance cost is around ₹3000
Why we Recommend Kent Supreme extra
Most of the Local RO water purifiers remove all the essential natural minerals from the water along with impurities, and drinking such low TDS water deprived of minerals is not Goof for health.
Unline Local RO Models, Kent Supreme extra comes with a TDS controller that allows for the retention of natural minerals so you can enjoy safe and tasty drinking water.
This Mineral RO Technology is simple. After the pre-filtration, a portion of the input water will be directly sent to UF Chamber, and it will not pass through the RO Membrane. In the final stages, both the water will be mixed and sent to UV Chamber. This is done to retain the natural minerals in the water.
The best thing is, during installation, you can adjust the TDS Controller to set the Desired TDS Level for the output water. It is better if you keep this level around 250-300ppm.
Another Good feature in Kent Supreme extra is In-Tank UV Disinfection. There is a UV Bulb in the storage tank, and there is no chance for bacterial growth, and the water stored in the tank can be used for longer durations safely.
The Storage tank can safely store 8 Litres of water at once, and this Model can purify up to 20 Litres of water in an hour. This model is perfectly suitable for Medium size Indian families. Even if there are frequent power cuts, there will be enough water left in the storage tank.
The Annual Maintenace cost will be around ₹3500. It depends on the input water source and usage. If your input water has excessive TDS levels above 1500ppm, maintenance will be a little bit higher. Otherwise, it is around Rs 3000 per year.
Why is it Good?
- Kent Supreme extra is Fully Automatic and comes with Filter change and UV Fail Alarms that alert you when there is a need to change the filter. The Water purifier will stop automatically if you don’t change the filter.
- The Zero water wastage technology in Kent Supreme is actually Good, but it is not for everyone.
- Zero wastage is achieved by re-circulating the RO reject water into the overhead tank using its own pump. The Reject water pipe will be left in a washbasin or a bucket for other water purifier models.
- If you have an Individual house, you can set up this re-circulation connection to the overhead tank to avoid water wastage. It will not be possible if you live in an apartment complex. In such cases, you can use the drain water for washing or cleaning purposes.
What are the drawbacks?
- For People who don’t have their overhead storage tank, zero water wastage is not possible.
- This Model is priced a little bit on the higher side.
- Alkaline water Term is also a Marketing Gimmick.
If your water source has TDS levels above 400 or 500ppm and you are looking for an RO water purifier with Good Build Quality and excellent purification with mineral-rich water, Kent Supreme is the right choice.
2. HUL Pureit Copper+ Mineral RO
Best RO Water Purifier With Precise Copper Dosing.
Now, More water purifier brands are offering copper-rich water, and all of them are not Good.
Drinking water from a copper vessel is an ancient and well-established Indian tradition based on Ayurvedic Science. Copper has many added health benefits; a proper amount of Copper in water can improve digestion, aids weight loss, and good for immunity.
Like everything else, excess Copper in water is also not good for health, and This is why we do not recommend water purifiers that come with a copper storage tank.
Just 2 or 3 Glasses of copper-enriched water per day is more than enough to avail the benefits of Copper.
- RO Purified water with Goodness of Copper
- 7 Stage Purification Process with Sediment Filter, Carbon Filter, RO, UV, Post-RO Carbon Filter and Micro Filter membrane.
- Suitable for All Kinds of Water Sources Like Borewells, Overhead Tank water, Taps,
- Brackish water having TDS levels up to 2000 mg/lit.
- 8 Litre Storage tank is Good for Medium Size family
- The purification capacity is 28 liters per hour.
- Two Soft Touch buttons for Dispensing RO water and Copper Charged RO water separately.
- Digital Display panel with Tank Full and Filter Change LED Indicators.
- One year Warranty on the Product
- The annual Maintenance cost is around ₹4000
Why do we recommend Pureit Copper+ RO Water Purifier?
Unlike the models with copper storage, Pureit Copper+ charges RO water with Copper in Real-time while dispensing the water; this is done with the help of a Unique technology called “electrochemical dissolution of Copper in water.”
This technology also ensures you get precise dosing and the right amount of Copper in every glass.
The best thing about Pureit Copper+ is, this water purifier comes with Dual water dispensing option, and you always have the choice to choose RO water, or Copper Charged RO water.
There are two soft-touch buttons; one for dispensing Copper charged RO water and the other for dispensing normal RO water.
There is a hidden drawback for Water purifiers with Touch Controls. The touch controls will not work if there is a power cut, and you can not dispense water even if there is enough water present in the storage tank.
We have been sending feedbacks to all the water purifier brands regarding this, and HUL has considered this aspect. Along with soft-touch controls, you can also install a Manual Tap for this water purifier.
The Tap lets you dispense Normal RO water even when there is no electricity. Please note that this water purifier can dispense Copper charged RO water only when there is electricity as the Copper is infused into the water in real-time.
Installing the Tap is necessary for most of us because there will be frequent power cuts, especially during the summer. If you have an inverter backup or don’t have power cuts, there is no need to install the Tap.
Another common issue with Copper Vessels or Copper Storage based water purifiers is, they require frequent cleaning using salt, lemon, vinegar, or tamarind paste to avoid oxidation. As Pureit Copper+ RO adds the Copper to the water in real-time and does not sport a copper storage tank, there is no need to clean the storage tank.
Why is it Good?
- Along with the Added benefits of Copper in the water, the HUL Pureit Copper+ RO water purifier does the job of a Traditional RO water purifier. Like the Kent Supreme model mentioned above, This Pureit model also comes with a TDS Modulator/Controller to retain the natural minerals in the water.
- This Pureit RO comes with a big Storage tank that can hold 8 Litres of purified drinking water. This RO is capable of purifying up to 28 Litres of water in one hour and is perfectly suited for a family of 4 to 6 members. However, the purification capacity depends on external factors like water quality, TDS levels, the life of filters, and input water pressure.
- Pureit Copper+ RO not only gives you Safe drinking water but also looks Ultra Modern. The Black and Copper Color combination looks attractive, and you can either place this water purifier on a Table or Wall Mount it.
- The functioning of the Soft Touch buttons is also good. You don’t have to press and hold the button to dispense the water. With one touch, this water purifier can dispense the water continuously for 3 minutes. You can stop water dispensing whenever you want by again pressing the button.
- This water purifier will alert 15 days in advance if there is a need to change the filter.
What are the drawbacks?
- This HUL water purifier is Priced on the higher side.
- In the absence of electricity, there is no option to dispense Copper charged RO water; you only get normal RO water.
Points to note
If your input water pressure is less than 10 PSI, you have to install a pressure-enhancing pump for this model.
Also, If there is excess TDS above 1000ppm in your water, it is better to install an antiscalant as it will improve the lifespan of the RO membrane.
If Budget is not your concern, the Pureit Copper+ RO is the best RO water purifier for your Home. Along with Stylish looks, you get the right amount of minerals in your drinking water.
3. HUL Pureit Eco Water Saver Mineral RO+UV+MF
Highest Water Saving RO Water Purifier With a Large 10 Litre Storage Tank
Unlike Kent Supreme Extra Pureit Eco Water Saver RO doesn’t need a re-circulation connection for saving water.
With the Help of HUL’s Trademark Eco Recovery technology, this water purifier minimizes Reject water to less than one glass for each glass of water purified.
- 7-Stage Purification that includes a Pre-Sediment Filter, Pre-RO Carbon Filter, Mesh Filter, RO Membrane, UV Build, Post-RO Carbon Filter, and Micro Filter Membrane
- Large Storage of 10 Litres – Suitable for Large Family
- Excellent Purification capacity of up to 24 liters per hour.
- Suitable for All Kinds of water sources like Borewells, Tank water and Tap water with TDS levels up to 2000 ppm.
- Pressure rating – 10-30 PSI
- Highest Level of water-saving up to 60% recovery rate.
- This a 100% RO water purifier.
- Mineral Cartridge for adding Essential Minerals Like Ca and Mg.
- Advance Filter change alarms that notify you 15 Days before filter expiry.
- USEPA Compliant.
Why we Suggest Pureit ECO Water Saver
Pureit ECO water saver RO is unquestionably the right choice of RO for any household facing water scarcity.
If you are concerned about saving water, but you don’t have an overhead tank to recirculate the reject water, you can opt for this Pureit model. As the water wastage is very less, this is the perfect choice of RO water purifier for Most Indian Homes and Apartments.
Pureit Eco Water Saver comes with a 7 stage purification process. Even if your water sources are muddy, you don’t have to install a separate pre-filter. This model comes with 2 Pre-filters, a carbon filter that removes dirt, fine particles, chlorine, and other harmful pesticides.
Enough Filtration is done before the water is sent into the RO membrane that takes care of dissolved salts and hard metals.
Unlike some RO models that divert some water from the RO membrane, this model offers a 100% RO purification, which means all the water is sent through the RO membrane, and essential minerals like Calcium and Magnesium will be added to the RO purified water at the end of the purification process.
This Mechanism is very useful for people living in a polluted environment, or the input water is having greater amounts of salts and metals.
Other filters like UV Chamber, Post RO Carbon, and Micro Filtration will ensure that the water is completely free from all contaminants.
Since this model comes with a very big 10 Litre storage tank, the design is heavy. The LED panel on this water purifier has four indicators that provide tank full alert, electricity fault alert, filter change, and low input water pressure alert.
What are the Benefits?
- The best thing about this Pureit ECO Water Saver water purifier is its significant water recovery rate of up to 60%.
- If you are a medium family of 5 members and consume 10 liters of drinking water, this Eco-Saver model saves around 80 glasses of water daily.
- Another advantage is this purifier offers 100% RO purification, which means even if you live near a polluted river or a chemical factory, this water purifier will give not only pure but also tasty water by adding natural minerals at the end of the purification process.
- The filter change alert system is excellent, and it notifies you 15 days before filter expiry. If you don’t change the filter even after 15 days, the cleaner will shut down automatically.
- HUL has a wide range of service centers across India, and the service quality is good in most places.
Are there any Drawbacks?
- The Design is a bit Bulky as it comes with a Very Large Storage tank.
Points to Note
After Installing this water purifier, Please discard the first 10 liters filled in the storage tank. It is also better to discard the water whenever you change the Germkill Kit or filters.
The Annual Maintenance cost will be around Rs. 3500 per year. The Life of the Filters depends on your input water quality.
If you are Looking for a RO water purifier with Large Storage Capacity and less water wastage, Pureit Eco Water Saver Mineral RO+UV+MF water purifier is the right choice.
4. AquaSure from Aquaguard Delight RO+UV+UF+MTDS Water Purifier
Best Budget RO Water Purifier in India With Manual TDS Adjustment
Aquaguard Delight is a Simple and Compact model suitable for Any Water Source and is priced under Rs 10000. This RO Can serve the drinking water needs for a small family of 3 or 4 members.
- 7 stage Purification Process With I Filter, Chemi Block, MTDS, RO, UF, Post Carbon, and UV Filters.
- Suitable Water Storage Capacity of 7 Liters
- Manual TDS Adjuster (MTDS)
- 6000 Liters of Cartridge Life
- Perfectly Suitable for High TDS water up to 2000ppm.
- Slim and Compact Design with Table Top and Wall Mount options
- Smart LED Indicators (Power on, Purification On and Tank Full indicator)
- One Year Warranty
Why we Recommend AquaSure Delight
The Best thing about Aquasute Delight is it comes with an MTDS Regulator. With The help of MTDS (Manual TDS regulator), you can effortlessly adjust the TDS levels of the RO purified water.
We recommend you keep this MTDS setting between 250 to 350ppm. Water with TDS range around 300ppm is safe and filled with vital minerals like calcium and magnesium.
The Purification capacity of this water purifier is also fast. With moderate water pressure, the 7-liter storage tank is filled in just 15 to 20 minutes.
Coming to the purification process, AquaSure Delight comes with a 7 stage purifying process. A Pre-Filter and Carbon filter is employed in the first stages to remove the suspended dust, must, chlorine, and other organic impurities.
This Pre Filtration is good as it increases the life of the RO membrane, which is the costliest replacement part when it comes to RO water purifiers. If your water source is filled with dust and mud, it is better to install an additional pre-filter.
In the Later Stage, the RO membrane removes the Hard metals, pesticides and reduces the hardness of the water. The Post RO Carbon filter enhances the water taste and gives the water a sparkling look. UF and UV filters are there in the final stage to ensure that the water is entirely free from bacteria and microbes.
AquaSure Delight is a Straight Forward RO that gives you 99% Safe and Tasty drinking water.
This RO Comes with a compact design and does not occupy much space in your kitchen as you can hang it to the kitchen wall. The Storage tank is semi-transparent, and 3 LED indicators will inform you about tank full status and purification status.
Also, this water purifier will make a beep sound if the UV Bulb or any other Filters Are failed. But there is no filter change alarm, and you won’t get any notifications in advance if there is a need for a filter change.
The Machine will make a beep sound only when the life of the filter is done. This is a minor disadvantage, but it will happen only once a year, and Aquagaurd service centers are all over India, and you can get the filter changed within a day.
Positives of AquaSure Delight
- AquaSure Delight is the most affordable and fully functional RO water purifier suitable even for water having higher TDS levels up to 2000ppm.
- The manual TDS Controller option is excellent to adjust the TDS levels according to our taste.
- Pricing is the biggest USP of AquaSure Delight. You get a 7 Litre RO water purifier that has a 6000 Litres cartridge life. The Cartridge lasts easily for a year for a small family of 4 members.
- Based on hundreds of customer feedback, the Annual maintenance cost will be around ₹3000 per year.
- Unlike Pureit Eco Water Saver and Kent Supreme extra, AquaSure Delight wastes 1-liter water for every 1 liter purified. The reject water is discharged through a drain pipe. Most people place the drainpipe in the washbasin, which is a bad practice. The reject water is not suitable for drinking and cooking purposes, but it is excellent to use that water for washing clothes, bathing, and watering plants.
- There is no Alarm to notify you about filter change in advance.
If the TDS of the water source is above 500ppm and you are looking for an RO under ₹12000, Aquaguard Delight is the right choice. Eureka Forbes offers quick support and has a presence in over 1500 cities in India.
5. KENT Grand+ 9 LTR Mineral RO+UV+UF+TDS Water Purifier
Kent Grand Plus is the best-selling RO water purifier in India for almost five years. There is no difference between Kent Grand Plus and Kent Supreme models other than the storage tank capacity.
If you are looking for an RO With a Big Storage tank and Zero water wastage, Kent Grand Plus is the right choice.
As I mentioned earlier with the Kent Supreme model, the Zero Water Wastage will work only if your house has an overhead tank as a separate connection is required to recirculate the reject water. This type of connection might not be possible for people living in an Apartment complex where there is a common water storage tank.
Most buyers think that they don’t have to spend anything from their pocket as kent provides three years of free service.
Yes, Kent only provides free service, which means you don’t have to pay the Technician his service charge of ₹500. But, you have to pay for the filters that are replaced.
Every year you have to change the RO membrane, UV Lamp, sediment filter, and carbon filters, and the replacement cost will be around ₹4000; this is much less when compared with what you pay for 20-liter water can every day throughout the year.
A Water purifier is a one-time investment. But there will be maintenance charges. The Membranes need to be replaced every year as they convert salty heavy TDS water into pure water. Most buyers don’t know this, and the sellers also provide very little information when you buy products.
- RO+UV+UF Purification With TDS Controller and UV Bulb in Storage tank for 100% Pure and Safe water.
- Suitable for High TDS water, brackish, and borewell water.
- Very Large 9 Litre UV Disinfection Tank for keeping water safe for more extended periods.
- Push-fit and leakage proof components with RO membrane fused inside membrane housing to prevent tampering
- ABS Food Grade Plastic Body
- Purification capacity is 20 Liters per hour.
- MTDS regulator for Manual TDS Adjustment for Mineral retention and taste.
- Filter Change and UV Fail Alarms
- One Year Product Warranty and Three free service
Why do we suggest Kent Grand Plus?
Kent is one of the Leading RO water purifier brands in India. It ranks among the top 3 in terms of customer service. Though the service quality depends on the local operator in your area, they provide quick support in most cases.
The Technicians for any Water Purifier or other Appliances like AC or Fridge are Medicare staff. They don’t have in-depth knowledge about the products; they are trained enough to do the installation properly.
I see a lot of consumers blaming technicians for lack of in-depth knowledge about the Product. Unlike Apple, these companies don’t spend significant Money on service and marketing. Apple products are priced on the higher side, and not everyone can afford them.
The Purification process of Kent Grand Plus is precisely the same as the Kent Supreme model mentioned above.
Pre Filters will take care of Suspended contaminants, chlorine, and pesticides. The RO Membrane decreases the Hardness of water and eliminates dissolved impurities.
Some water is directly diverted into the UF membrane; This is done to maintain natural minerals in the water.
What are the Advantages of Kent Grand Plus
- The best thing about the Kent Grand+ water purifier is the Manual TDS Controller. You can increase the TDS value in the water by rotating the screw of the TDS value anticlockwise. Similarly, you can reduce the TDS by turning the screw clockwise.
- The Technician Always sets the TDS Around 100 mg/l, but you can ask him to fix it around 250 mg/l. As I mentioned earlier, water in TDS range 100 to 300ppm is excellent for consumption and is filled with rich, vital natural minerals.
- The Transparent front cover design of Kent Grand Plus is beautiful, and it also gives you a view of the working parts inside the purifier.
- The Zero Water Wastage technology preserves hundreds of liters of water by recirculating the reject water to the overhead tank using its booster pump. All you need is an overhead tank or any other storage tank.
- The RO membrane comes with AutoFlush feature that prevents scaling formation on the layer, thereby increasing the life and efficiency of the RO membrane.
- Also, there are other impressive features like Filter change and UV Fail Alarms that will make a beep sound and notify you if there is a need for a filter change. All these features make Kent Grand Plus a fail-Safe RO Water purifier.
Disadvantages of Kent Grand Plus
- Zero Water Wastage technology might not be possible for people living in Multi Storied Apartment Complex.
- The Product is priced a little bit on the higher side.
The Price of Kent Grand Plus might seem somewhat costlier, but it is a worthy purchase for most people. This Water Purifier provides not only pure and tasty water but also environment friendly with Zero water wastage. This model is the Perfect choice of RO for a Large family if your water source has TDS above 500ppm.
6. AO Smith Z9 Green R.O. 10 Litre Water Purifier
Premium R.O. Water Purifier with Hot Water Dispense option
We do not list AO Smith water purifiers at the top because these models are priced above Rs 20000, and the Maintenance cost is also around Rs 5000 per year.
If Budget is not your concern, AO Smith Z9 is an excellent option for you. This R.O. water purifier is loaded with superior features, and this R.O. can instantly dispense Hot Water at 45 C and 80 C with just a press of a button.
- 8 Stage Purification Process includes Pre-Filter, Sediment Filter, Carbon Filter, ART + Patented R.O. Membrane + Mineralizer.
- 100% of Water Passes through R.O. Membrane, and Minerals will be artificially added at the end of the purification process.
- This AO Smith RO Water Purifier is suitable for all kinds of water sources with TDS levels under 2000ppm.
- Storage Tank Capacity is 10 Litres (9 Litres for Normal R.O. Water + 0.8 Lire for Hot Water)
- Pressure rating is 7 to 30 Psi
- Soft Touch buttons to Dispense WaterWater
- ART (Advance water recovery technology) that saves 2x WaterWater when compared with unbranded R.O. water purifiers.
- 1 Year Comprehensive Warranty
Why Do we recommend AO Smith Z9?
AO Smith Z9 is packed with lots of features that are not available in ordinary R.O. water purifiers.
This R.O. Water purifier comes with an inbuilt heater that can provide instant hot and purified water at two different temperatures of 45 C and 80 C, respectively; this option is handy if you prefer drinking hot Water or to make instant Green Tea or any other hot drink.
As you can in the Images, the Build Quality of the AO Smith Z9 is Solid and Robust with premium looks. This model comes with a Night Assist feature, the soft-touch buttons will glow during the nighttime, and you can easily dispense Water without the need to turn on regular lights. This feature also gives your kitchen an elegant look.
Coming to the Purification process, you don’t have to install a pre-filter with this model even if the WaterWater is dirty. Z9 already comes with a Pre-Filter and Sediment filter that removes the visible dust and other suspended impurities.
The R.O. Purification is 100%, and all the water passes through the R.O. membrane. The Mineralizer (Min-Tech) will add essential minerals like C.A. and Mg after the purification process. Hence this model is suitable even if your water source is salty or it contains excess TDS.
The SideStream R.O. membrane in this AO Smith water purifier increases the water recovery rate to 50% compared to the 25% standard R.O. water purifiers. AO Smith names this technology as ART (Advance recovery technology)
What are the Benefits?
- The ART Technology saves 2X Water and reduces up to 56% of water wastage.
- You can Place this Water Purifier on Table, Counter or you can hang it on your Kitchen Wall.
- There is no need to install Pre-Filters for this AO Smith Water Purifier.
- Along with Pre Filters and R.O., this Z9 R.O. comes with SCMT Filter (Silver charged membrane). This Filter prevents microbial contamination and ensures that the Water is 100% Safe for drinking.
- The filter Change Alert system is sound. The indicators on the Temperature display will blink if the R.O. membrane or any other filter needs replacement.
Are there any Negatives?
- The irritating thing about Z9 R.O. is, the soft-touch buttons will not work if there is a power cut. You can connect this water purifier to your Home Inverter to avoid this. We have done the same thing, and this R.O. works on Inverter without much load.
- Hot Water Dispensing will work only when the tank is full.
The AO Smith Z9 is the right water purifier choice for Modern Kitchens and Apartments. Along with 100% R.O. Purification, Mineralizer, you also get hot WaterWater with just one touch. If you don’t have any budget constraints, you can go with this model.
7. Livpure Glo RO+UV Water Purifier
Budget RO Water Purifier For Small Family Priced Under Rs 10000
Livpure Glo is one of the top-selling water purifiers at Amazon. The reason is the aggressive pricing. This model provides the same purification process that Kent and Aquaguard employ, but the Price is budget-friendly.
We have been using this Livepure RO for 4 years, and there are no significant complaints. The maintenance cost per year is also around Rs. 3000 only.
- Simple 6 Stage Purification Process includes Sediment, Carbon, RO, UV, Post Carbon, and Mineraliser.
- Suitable for Water having TDS Up to 2000 mg/l
- Mineralizer Adds back essential minerals that are Lost during RO Purification
- Storage Tank Capacity is 7 Liters, and Purification Capacity is 12 Litres per hour.
- One Year Warranty
Why did we suggest Livpure Glo?
Simplicity and Affordability are two main reasons why we recommend this model. We have been using this Livepure RO for 4 years, and we are delighted with the performance of this model.
We changed RO Membrane 2 times and the Sediment filter, Carbon filter 3 times in these four years. The Maintenance cost is also less when compared with the above models from Kent, AO Smith, and Eureka Forbes.
Another advantage of the Livepure model is, it is very compact and weighs only 7 Kgs. It does not utilize much space on your kitchen wall. The Build Quality of this model is also good, and the shiny white color has not faded even after years of usage. We clean the surface and wipe the dust off with a wet cloth.
The Front Panel features 3 LED Indicators that inform you about Power, Purification, and Full Tank Status.
The Purification Process is straightforward. If there is excess mud in your water, you will have to install a pre-filter; otherwise, it is not necessary.
The Sediment and Carbon filter will take care of organic contaminants and suspended dust particles before the water is sent to RO Chamber. In the RO chamber, all the dissolved salts, hard metals, and microbes will be eliminated. UV and Post Carbon Filters are also there in the later stages to ensure that the water is free from all the germs.
The Mineral Cartridge will add back required minerals before the water is sent to the storage tank, ensuring you not only safe but also mineral-rich, tasty water.
Why is Livepure Glo Good?
- The USP of Livpure Glo is its Price. Now, this model is available for less than ₹9000 at Amazon.
- 100% Safe, Mineral Rich water backed by Affordability and Less Maintenance are Key factors behind the success of Livpure Glo.
- Livpure Glo is fit for High TDS Water Sources like Borewells, river water, overhead tank water, and Ground Water. This RO can work with water having TDS levels up to 2000 ppm.
What are the Negatives of Livpure Glo?
- A Pre-Filter is required if your water source contains a lot of dust and suspended impurities.
- There are no Filter Change ALarms.
- The Customer service Quality is not up to the mark. The Service is terrible, especially in towns and villages.
If the TDS of water is above 500ppm and you are looking for an RO Under Rs 10000, Livpure Glo is the best option. With a 7 Litre storage tank and 12 Litre/hour Purification capacity, Livpure Glo is suitable for a small family of 3 or 4 members.
8. Aquaguard Aura 7L UV + UF water purifier With Active Copper
Best UV UF Water Purifier in India Suitable for Low TDS water below 300 ppm.
We have stressed this multiple times in our article; If your water source has the right amount of TDS levels between 100 to 300ppm, you don’t need an RO water purifier.
A UV + UF water purifier is the right choice when the TDS levels in your water are low. These filters will remove bacteria, viruses, pesticides, and suspended mud and dust from the water, but salts and vital minerals will not be removed.
- UV+UF Water Purification Along with Active Copper technology
- Suitable For Water sources having TDS less than 300ppm.
- The Storage capacity is 7 liters
- Wall Mounting and Tab Top options
- This Product comes with One Year Warranty
Why do we recommend Aquaguard Aura?
Aquaguard Aura UV UF Model is the best choice of water purifier suitable for municipality-supplied tap water. In most cases, the municipal water is already treated, and the TDS levels will be in the normal range. In Such cases, RO purification is not needed.
I have mentioned the benefits of Copper in the water earlier in the article; It has properties that boost metabolism and provide our body with much-needed strength. The Active Copper Cartridge infuses the right amount of copper ions into the purified drinking water.
These days People are interested in investing in all the simple ways that improve immunity and health. Providing the right amount of Copper to our body is at the top of the list. Drinking the water filled with Copper ions is the easiest way of providing our body this vital mineral.
The Copper ions are added in the Acceptable Limit only. This water purifier is strictly abided by IS 10500:2012 Drinking Water specification Guidelines.
Advantages of Aquaguard Aura
- Unlike RO Water Purifiers, the Aquaguard Aura UV UF model does not waste even a single drop of water.
- The Life of the UV Bulb is 8000 burning hours, and UltraViolet rays generated from this UV Build will deactivate all the virus and bacteria; this is similar to boiling the water in a high flame for more than 20 minutes.
- Before the water is sent into UF, UV Chambers, it is treated by a Pre-Filter and Carbon filter that removes suspended particles, dust, chlorine, pesticides, bad taste, and odor from the water.
- The Design of this Aquaguard Aura is Elegant, Stylish, and Compact. You can either place this water purifier on the table or hang it to the wall. The Plastic used in the construction of this Model is Food Grade ABS Plastic which is food safe. There is also an insect prevention lid on the top.
- The maintenance cost of Aquaguard Aura is significantly less as there is no RO Purification. The UV Bulb runs for 8000 hours, and other filters need replacement only after 6000 liters of purification.
- There are necessary filter change and UV Bulb change Alarms that will inform you if there is a need for replacement; this machine will shut down if you don’t replace the filters after they are exhausted.
What are the Drawbacks?
- This UV UF Model is Priced much higher when compared with the Kent Maxx UV UF Water purifier. But the Kent model does not infuse Copper into the water.
- Even though this water purifier adds Copper is calculated and the correct amounts according to the IS 10500:2012 Drinking water Guidelines, There is no option to dispense non-copper water. Copper-infused water might not be suitable for cooking purposes.
If the TDS Value of your water is in the suitable range between 100 to 400ppm and you want added benefits of Copper in the water, Aquagaurd Aura is the best option.
Water Purifier Buying Guide
Why do you need a water purifier?
You have hit the nail right on the head by asking this question. The water that is available in our taps is not exactly the best one to drink directly.
This water contains all kinds of contaminants one can imagine. It explains why many people boil water before drinking it.
Boiling kills the germs, viruses, and bacteria from the water. At the same time, it kills the taste and flavour, as well but does not remove the salts from the water.
Therefore, one can resort to using water purifiers that can deliver high-quality drinking water that surprisingly, tastes good, as well.
Now the ‘Why’ part of the question is out of the way. Let us now concentrate on what to do before purchasing your water purifier.
Test the tap water
Of course, there are two ways of testing tap water. One is to use your natural instincts, and the other is a scientific way with the use of a TDS meter or what we refer to as a water testing kit.
The natural way is to smell and taste the water. If it smells or tastes awful, you should go ahead and read the rest of the article.
At the same time, if it smells and tastes good, what should you do? You should still go ahead and read the article thoroughly.
Water that smells and tastes good is not necessarily the healthiest to drink.
Tap water contains soluble and insoluble impurities. Despite the municipalities purifying groundwater, the water can pick up contaminants on its way to your home.
It has to pass through pipes and tanks. Pipelines and tanks can be corroded. They can also have a mineral build-up. Both of these factors affect the quality of water.
Secondly, groundwater can have impurities like arsenic, antimony, lead, and so on. It can also contain Totally Dissolved Solids (TDS – we will be using this term frequently throughout the article).
TDS can comprise organic and inorganic salts including calcium, magnesium, potassium, chlorides, bicarbonates, and sulfates. Thus, it is good to use a TDS meter to determine the extent of TDS.
Where can you test the water?
You do not have to go to a laboratory to conduct the test. The TDS meter is a simple tool to use. It gives reasonably accurate results that should enable you to decide the type of water purifier you should have in your home.
How do you use the TDS meter?
A digital TDS meter should not cost more than a few hundred rupees. Invest in one, as it will prove useful to you for life. Here is how you use the TDS meter.
Step 1 – Determine the temperature of water in the following way
- Switch on the TDS meter and press the TEMP button.
- Place the meter inside the glass of water and note down its temperature.
- Return to the TDS mode by pressing the TEMP button again.
Step 2 – Measure the TDS level
- Remove the protective cap of the TDS meter and turn the TDS meter on.
- Immerse the TDS meter in the glass of water up to the maximum immersion level marked on the device.
- If there are any bubbles in the water, stir it gently to get rid of them.
- Wait for about 10 seconds and allow the reading to stabilize.
- Press the HOLD option and remove the device to note down the reading.
Now, you have the reading. What should you do now? This table will give you a good idea about what the reading conveys.
|TDS Level||Reasons for acceptability or Non-acceptance|
|Less than 50||Water with such a low level of TDS does not contain any essential minerals. It will be tasteless. It is not an acceptable range.|
|50 to 150||It is an acceptable level. However, if you have an RO water purifier at home, ensure that the TDS level is not below 80|
|150 to 200||This level is acceptable. Hospitals usually have this level of TDS in their water supply. It is ideal for maintaining cardiovascular fitness|
|250 to 350||Most of the Indian homes have tap water in this range. It is an acceptable range|
|350 to 500||BIS guidelines state that TDS levels up to 500 are acceptable.|
|500 to 900||As this level is not acceptable, use an RO water purifier with a TDS controller/mineralizer.|
|900 to 1200||It is better to use an RO water purifier of good quality with a TDS controller.|
|1200 to 2000||It is a highly unacceptable range. You will need an excellent RO water purifier that can handle water with TDS levels up to 2000.|
|Above 2000||Most of the RO water purifiers in the market cannot handle such a high level of TDS.|
Now, you know the TDS level as well as the water quality.
You should go ahead and purchase the ideal water purifier. Let us now discuss what these specific terms, TDS, UV, UF, RO, and so on signify. It will help you understand the basics well.
TDS – Totally Dissolved Solids
TDS can come in various forms. We shall now segregate our population into three distinct types
People living in villages and relying on natural sources of water
Village folk usually do not get piped water supply from municipalities. They rely on natural sources of water such as wells, borewells, rivers, and lakes.
These people use well water to cater to all requirements, domestic and agricultural.
If you venture into a village, you will find domestic animals like cows, buffaloes, goats sharing the well water with humans. Naturally, there can be high levels of contaminants.
Secondly, industries in the vicinity of the villages dump their toxic wastes into the rivers and lakes.
The groundwater resources also get polluted due to the indiscriminate release of harmful metals like lead, arsenic, mercury, and so on. All these impurities, visible and impurities constitute TDS.
However, one should note that not all TDS is bad. The groundwater contains useful minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium, but the harmful TDS makes it necessary for village folk to invest in a good-quality RO water purifier and with a TDS controller.
We shall look into this aspect when we discuss RO water purification.
Those having access to piped water supply from municipalities
From the rural folk, we move towards the urban population that depends on municipal water supply. Many people have borewells in their homes.
Such people have an advantage over the rural people because the municipality undertakes the job of purification of water before distributing them to the residents through pipes (underground or over the ground).
Municipalities use RO water purification techniques to eliminate TDS and other contaminants. However, the RO-purified water collects impurities during transit from the municipal tanks to the homes.
Usually, the pipes supplying water to the residents are subject to corrosion, leaks, and rusting. Therefore, these households get water with visible impurities.
A UF and UV water purifier should be enough to purify the water, as the municipality has already taken care of RO.
Homes depending on borewells should determine the TDS levels before choosing the type of water purifier. It is always better to go for RO + UV + UF water purifier to be safe on all counts.
India has a vast coastal area with millions of people depending on salty groundwater for their consumption needs.
This water has a high level of TDS. Therefore, they should prefer the RO + UV + UF water purifier with a TDS controller or mineralizer for domestic consumption.
We shall now discuss the different types of water filtering methods such as UV, UF, and RO. The concept should be clear before you decide to purchase the water purifier of your choice.
Different Types of Water Purification Systems
Gravity-based water purification systems
Old-timers will recall the simple water filter that used to be common in all households. It used to consist of two containers placed one over the other.
The top container used to have water filtering candles. One used to fill this container with the source water. The water seeps through the fine holes present in the filtering candles into the container below.
This water purification system is an example of gravity-based water purification. It is a kind of UF process. UF stands for Ultra Filtration.
The modern-day UF filters have such a membrane that can trap visible as well as ultrafine contaminants to provide water of good quality.
Such water filters are best in areas where the TDS levels are less than 300 mg/liter. Such water purification systems do not require any electricity for their functioning.
Ultra-Violet (UV) water purification system
About 30 years back, there were no RO water purifiers in India. People used to rely on the UF process for their water purification.
The turn of the twenty-first century saw the introduction of ultraviolet (UV) chambers as an effective method of water purification. UV purification is an effective method, as it can eliminate harmful viruses and bacteria.
The water passes through a UV chamber that serves its purpose by killing the germs and providing healthy water to drink.
Such water purification systems need electricity to work. Secondly, there is a disadvantage because the UV chamber can kill the germs but not destroy the bodies of viruses and bacteria.
Of course, that should not affect your health in any way. However, it is better to pass such water through a UF membrane to remove the remnants.
Reverse Osmosis – RO water purifier
To understand Reverse Osmosis, one should be conversant with the principles of osmosis.
Osmosis is a natural process where a liquid in an area with a lower concentration tends to move towards an area of higher concentration through a semipermeable membrane.
A simple example of osmosis is when you place a potato inside a glass of water. After some time you will find the vegetable swelling up because the water from the glass seeps through inside the potato.
The potato contains a high concentration of starch. The potato skin acts as a semipermeable membrane. The significance of the semipermeable membrane is that it does not allow the reverse flow of water under normal circumstances.
Reverse osmosis is reversing the process of osmosis. In this process, water moves from an area of higher concentration to that of a lower concentration through a semipermeable membrane.
RO water purifiers work on a similar procedure where the impure water with a higher TDS level passes through a semipermeable RO membrane.
The membrane has millions of small pores through which the salts cannot pass through. The water molecules are small enough to seep through thereby ensuring the elimination of TDS.
However, this process requires the application of pressure. Hence, RO water purifiers come with built-in pumps to quicken the process.
We shall now discuss the working principle of an RO water purifier.
RO Water Purifier – Working principle
The RO water purifiers available in the market employ a six-level or seven-level water filtration process.
The sediment filter is the first line of defense in an RO water purifier. Usually, the sediment filter is placed outside the RO water purifier machine.
The sediment filter works in a way similar to that of the erstwhile candle filters we had in the late 1980s. The water from the source passes through this sediment filter that takes care of the large impurities.
Hence the water loses much of its turbidity before entering the RO water purifier. It serves a dual purpose. On the one hand, it eliminates the heavy impurities and reduces the load for the RO water purification process. As a result, it enhances the life of the RO membrane.
Pre-Activated Carbon Filter
The RO water purifier system has the water passing through an activated carbon filter to remove the organic impurities. This filter also helps by removing the unpleasant taste of water.
The UF is the third stage of filtration. The water now passed through the UF membrane to trap soluble contaminants.
The UF membrane consists of tiny pores that can trap microscopic pollutants. Thus, the water becomes relatively free of soluble solids after passing through the UF stage.
Reverse Osmosis Stage
RO purification is the crucial stage in the purification process. The UF-purified water passes through the RO membrane, thereby resulting in the elimination of all TDS.
This purification process removes the toxic molecules of lead, arsenic, mercury, and other contaminants. It also ensures to remove TDS by more than 99%. Thus, you have TDS-free water emerging from the outlet.
The RO process has a disadvantage in that it wastes a lot of water while squeezing out pure water from the water source. This water flows out of the machine through a separate outlet
The RO process takes care of TDS and other metallic impurities. It also destroys some of the larger microorganisms, as well.
However, organisms having a size less than the pores of the RO membrane pass through the filtration process. This RO-purified water then passes through an ultraviolet chamber that destroys the viruses and bacteria from the water.
Hence, you have pure and healthy water at the end of the fifth stage of purification.
Post-activated carbon filter
The UV process eliminates viruses and bacteria by killing them. However, it cannot dispose of the dead bodies of these viruses. Secondly, some organic impurities manage to sneak through the process.
Hence, the water passes through a Post-activated filter to remove these dead bodies and improve the taste of water by getting rid of the organic pollutants. The primary function of this filter is to destroy the bad odor from the RO purified water.
TDS Controller – Mineraliser
As explained earlier, the RO purified water has low levels of TDS. In the process, the water loses essential salts like calcium, potassium, and magnesium, among others.
The TDS controller replenishes these salts and balances the pH level of water. We have discussed that pure water is tasteless and odorless. Hence, the TDS controller serves to balance the pH levels and make the water tasty and healthy to drink.
The mineralizer performs a similar function as the TDS controller. It supplements the mineral content lost during the RO purification. The mineralizer is a better option than the TDS controller, as it replenishes the specific minerals.
Comparison between different water purification systems
We have seen the different types of water purification systems in the above paragraphs. Each of these systems has its advantages and disadvantages. This comparison will highlight the difference between these systems and clear the concept.
RO vs UV vs UF
|RO Water Purifier||UV Water Purifier||UF Water Purifier|
|Requires electricity to operate||Requires electricity to operate||No Electricity required|
|Kills and Removes all the Bacteria and Viruses from the Water.||Kills all Bacteria and Viruses but their Dead Bodies remain in the Water.||Kills and Removes all the Bacteria and Viruses from the Water.|
|Requires Electricity to Boost the Tap Water Pressure||UV Water Purifiers can work with Normal Tap Water Pressure.||UF Water Purifiers can work with Normal Tap Water Pressure.|
|Removes the Dissolved Salts||Cannot remove Dissolved Salts||Cannot remove Dissolved Salts|
|RO Purifiers has a Prefiltration system to work with Dirty Water.||Water should be clear for UV to work.||Works with Dirty Turbid Water.|
Frequently Asked Questions
On this era of customer service, all water purifier brands offer good after-sales services.
However, it depends on various factors such as availability of service centres in your city, accessibility to spare parts, and so on. The best way to verify these factors is to do a local search on Google or go through Just Dial reviews.
Going through the official websites or e-commerce websites where customers post their reviews is also a good way of ascertaining the after-sales service facilities of water purifier brands.
Most of the top water purifier brands offer regular AMC services. The rates depend on various factors. Usually, it is in the range of around Rs 4,000 per annum. However, it is better to verify from the water purifier AMC provider.
This AMC includes the cost of replacement of the various filters like RO membrane, UV and UF filters, activated carbon filters, and sediment filters.
You have to replace these filters on an annual basis to extract optimum performance from your water purifier. Refer to the actual specifications
As the name suggests, TDS controllers control the proportion of TDS in the water coming out of the RO water purifier. Why do you need these controllers?
The RO purifiers reduce the hardness of input water by approximately 90%. Hence, if the TDS level of the water source is around 800, the TDS proportion of the output water will be in the range of 80.
This water with a low TDS level does not have good taste. Secondly, you need some minerals and salts in the water to enhance the taste. The TDS controllers work in the following manner.
The TDS controller divides the water that goes into the RO water system into two parts. One part goes through the RO membrane whereas the other part goes into the UV and UF filters.
The water that goes through the UV and UF filters do not undergo any change in the TDS levels. Therefore you get two different outputs. The final output is a mixture of both these waters. This is the job of the TDS modulator.
One must admit that the RO water purifier does a great job of purifying the water. But, it removes essential minerals along with the hazardous ones.
This leaves the output water with a bland taste that does not have much nutrient value. Therefore, you have water purifier brands including an extra stage of filtration that ensures the addition of essential minerals to the water.
This helps in maintaining the pH balance as well. Different brands have different names for these mineralizers. Aquaguard names it ‘Mineral Guard’.
The biggest drawback of RO water purifiers is that it wastes water a lot. For every litre of pure water it produces, the machines waste 2 litres of water.
The wastage of water depends on the quality of the input water. The higher the TDS of input water, the higher is the wastage
The reject water contains 95 to 99% of impurities. Hence, this water is absolutely unfit for human consumption. However, there are other uses.
You can use this water for gardening, cleaning utensils, mopping floors, cleaning bathroom floors and toilets. However, one should note to wash the utensils with tap water to remove the salt deposits.
Storage tanks are essential ingredients in any water purifier. These storage tanks are anywhere in the capacity of 10 litres or more.
Hence, you need strong material to withstand the weight of the machine as well as the water. ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) is a thermoplastic polymer capable of withstanding high-temperature fluctuations.
It is a recyclable material much unlike the thermoset plastics. They are non-toxic in nature. This makes this material perfect for manufacturing water storage tanks.
Steel is comparatively heavier to ABS plastic. Secondly, ABS plastic is non-toxic and more durable than steel. They can withstand a high-temperature range.
ABS plastic does not require as much maintenance as required by steel tanks. Hence, they are preferable to stainless steel tanks today.
It depends on the customer and the website from where he chooses to purchase. Some people are more comfortable buying water purifiers after having a look at the features. Some people are comfortable buying online.
However, one should go for reputed brands from reliable websites like Amazon. You get good deals at these websites.
It is never advisable to buy a non-branded water purifier. Your health is always more important. Invest in a reputed brand because of the quality you get.
Non-branded water purifiers do not have TDS controllers or mineralizers. This affects the quality of the output. These locally made water purifiers might be inexpensive, but they are not worth investing. You will lose all the minerals in the water when you opt to buy the cheap ones.
You have just gone through the Water purifier buying guide. This guide should help you make an easy decision about opting for the right water purifier for your home.
You can simply opt for a UV/UF water purifier if the TDS levels in your water source are below 400ppm. If the TDS levels are more than 500ppm, you have to install an RO water purifier.
Make sure that your RO water purifier comes with the combination of either a TDS Controller or Mineralizer to retain the essential natural minerals.
If you have any queries reading the selection of water purifiers, post them in the comments section below, and we will be glad to answer them.
- UF Water Purifier (Ultrafiltration) – Pros and Cons Explained!
- RO Water Purifier? (Reverse Osmosis) – Pros and Cons Explained!
- 7 Best Mixer Grinders For Indian Food (2021, Mixie) 750, 1000 Watts!
- Under Sink RO Water Purifiers – Advantages & Disadvantages!
- 10 Best Side by Side Refrigerators in India (2021)