Anyone who has washed clothes with his or her hands will surely appreciate the role played by the washing machine in the house.
Machines today come with exciting options like steam or hot water wash, detergent dispensers, timers, pulsators, agitators, and an exciting range of wash/soak/spinning options.
One of the crucial aspects you should look at when purchasing a washing machine is its capacity. If your family size is around three members, a 6.0 Kg machine should suffice. Larger families need devices with higher capabilities.
Choosing the best Washing machine for your home can be a tough job. You have a variety of options available in the market. The number of models can overwhelm you.
However, after going through this guide, the confusion will clear and you will be able to make the right choice.
Before Proceeding into the Guide, here is a quick comparison table
|Best Washing Machine||Highlights|
|1. Samsung 6.0 Kg Front Load (WW60R20GLMA/TL)|
|Best Front Load For Small Family|
5 Star Rating
1000 RPM Spin Speed
Inbuilt water heater
3 years warranty
|2. IFB 6 kg Front Load Washing Machine (Diva Aqua SX)|
Front Load For Hard Water
BEE 5 Star
800 RPM Spin Speed
Inbuilt water heater, Softener
4 years warranty
|3. LG 8.0 Kg Front Loading Washing Machine (FHM1208ZDL)|
|Front Load for Medium Size Family|
BEE 5 Star
1200 RPM Spin Speed
Inbuilt Heater, Tub Clean
2 Years warranty
|4. Samsung 6.5 kg Top Loading Washing Machine (WA65A4002VS/TL)|
|Top Load For Small Family|
Inverter Motor, Fully-Automatic
680 RPM Spin Speed
2 Years warranty
|5. Whirlpool 7.5 Kg Whitemagic Royal Plus Top Loading|
|Top Load for Medium Size Family|
Suitable For Hard Water
5 Star, Fully-Automatic
740 RPM Spin Speed
2 Years warranty
Best Washing Machines in India 2021
1. Samsung 6.0 Kg Inverter 5-Star Front-Loading Washing Machine (WW60R20GLMA/TL)
An energy-efficient washing machine that is perfect for small families comprising of up to three people. However, you cannot expect the clothes to come out 100% dry, straight from the machine to the ironing table.
This model is also available in 6.5 Kg (WW65R20GLSW/TL) that is suitable for medium-size families. If you are Looking for Washing Machine with Dryer, Samsung 7.0 Kg WD70M4443JW/TL is the best option, this Dryer model is priced under 40000 and clothes come out 100% dry and you can actually wear them right out of the machine.
- Available in 3 sizes 6.0 Kg, 6.5 Kg, 7.0Kg
- Fully automatic Front-loading, Water efficient
- Comes with an inbuilt water heater
- BEE 5-Star rating indicates that this machine is an energy-saving device.
- It features a powerful Digital Inverter motor, as is evident from the 10-year warranty.
- Three wash programs to choose from
- Special features, like a magic filter, spin timer, and Hexa storm pulsator
- This machine is ideal for couples and small families.
Why do we recommend this Samsung front-loader?
This machine is very easy to use and there are no complicated wash programs. The Quick wash mode is good enough for most users as it gives a very clean wash in few minutes. There are also other special models for Cotton, Wool, and Delicates clothes like sweaters.
This Washing machine comes with a Brushless Digital Inverter Motor that uses less power when compared with the motor found in conventional washing machines.
All the Latest Samsung, LG, and Bosch Front Load Models come with an Inverter Motor. This Motor also has fewer moving parts and runs much cooler than normal motors. This is the reason why Samsung is offering a 10 Year warranty on the motor.
This Samsung machine vibrates a little while it dries the clothes because it runs at 1000rpm. The Good thing is, this machine doesn’t move an inch from its position even when it is vibrating.
Once the washing is completed, the machne will make beep sounds for a minute to notify you about wash completion.
Another good feature we like about the machine is, it won’t allow you to put excess clothes and will display an error if the clothes are beyond the limit. Placing excess clothes than the limit is one of the main reasons that reduce the life span of washing machines.
During Wash, this machine releases steam from the bottom of the drum and all the clothes will be thoroughly soaked. This removes 99.9% of bacteria and also inactivates allergens. This is a new and unique feature that useful, especially during pandemic times.
Make sure your house has proper earthing as this model comes with an inbuilt water heater and metal drum.
What are the Positives?
- The Digital Inverter technology helps you save power.
- Wash Quality is good even in the 15 minutes quick wash mode.
- The Diamond Drum design of this Samsung washing machine allows tangle-free wash and also ensures lesser wash-related damage.
- This machine comes equipped with a ceramic heater that does not accumulate scale deposits, thus proving to be better than the conventional heating element.
- There are separate compartments for pre-wash and main-wash detergents and softeners, after-wash fabric conditioners like comfort.
Are there any drawbacks?
- The water inlet and drainpipes are short. Thus, it affects the flexibility aspect.
- This Appliance won’t dry your clothes completely, it just spins them at 1000 RPM and the clothes will be 75% dry, you have to manually dry them in sunlight for at least an hour or two. If you want 100% Dry clothes, you can go with the 7Kg model (WD70M4443JW/TL) that comes with a Dryer.
This Samsung Front-load has competition from brands like the IFB and LG. However, the Samsung washing machine manages to hold its own. If you are looking for the best front load washing machines for a small, medium-size family of 3 to 4 members, the Samsung 6 Kg WW60R20GLMA/TL and 6.5 Kg WW65R20GLSW/TL Priced under 25000 is the right choice.
2. IFB 6 Kg 5-Star Fully-Automatic Front-Loading Machine (Diva Aqua SX)
IFB Front Load washing machine is available in various sizes, colors and all the models come with an In-Built Heater option. The Neo Diva BX 7Kg is suitable for medium-size families and Senator plus SX 8Kg model, executive Plus VX ID 8.5 Kg Models are the right choices for Large Families.
Diva Aqua BX 6Kg is the Latest version but it comes with a 2D wash System and there is no water softener whereas the Diva Aqua SX model comes with a 3D wash system. This is the reason why the Aqua SX model is priced on the higher side.
There are more nozzles in the 3D Wash system and the water enters from three sides instead of two which gives you a cleaner wash every time because the detergent dissolves fully in the water. During rinsing, fresh water penetrates deep into clothes and rinses off all the detergent.
- Energy and water-efficient front-loading washing machine
- 6 Kg capacity, ideal for small families and single individuals
- The high 800 rpm spin speed hastens the drying time.
- The inbuilt heater and Aqua Energie water softener make this washing machine unique.
- Fifteen wash programs make this machine extremely versatile.
- A range of exciting features, like ball valve technology, cradle wash, 3D wash system, and anti-allergen
- The machine comes with a 4-year product warranty.
Why do we recommend IFB 6 Kg Diva Aqua SX?
The Drum of the IFB Front Load Washing machines comes with crescent moon patterns that prevent the clothes from rubbing against the drum walls during the washing. This ensures there is no wear and tear on the clothes even when the Drum rotates at high speeds of 800 RPM.
This IFB Front Loader comes with 8 Wash programs suitable for all kinds of clothes. Mixed Fabrics Mode and Quick Wash are the most useful programs. The Quick wash reduces the washing time to half, you can use this mode for cotton and denim clothes which doesn’t have too much dirt.
The water softener in this machine reduces the TDS levels in hard water and helps dissolve the detergent better to ensure a softer wash. This IFB Front Loader is ideal even for Places with Groundwater that has high TDS levels and Salts. This also keeps scaling formation on the machine parts at bay.
Why is it Good?
- The aspect We love the most is the high rotating speed of 800 rpm. The higher the spin speed, the faster is the drying time. Though the clothes do not come out 100% dry after the spin cycle, they do not need much drying time.
- The Anti-Allergn feature removes lint and hair from the clothes during the wash cycle give you allergen-free clothes after every wash.
- In Some washing machines, the detergent gets washed away when water enters the drum and is not used in the wash cycle. This IFB Washing machine comes with a Float Ball Value that makes sure the detergent does not wash away when water enters the drum.
- You can pause during the washing cycle, open the door and add any clothes that you forgot to add initially.
- kid’s delicate fabrics are thankful to the IFB washing machine as the cradle wash system ensures the clothes remain soft.
- The child lock feature prevents kids from fiddling with the machine controls.
- The water softener and inbuilt heater functions are a must for Indian conditions.
- This IFB washing machine model offers protection from voltage fluctuations.
What are the Drawbacks?
- Unlike Samsung and LG Washing Machines, this IFB Diva Aqua SX does not feature an Inverter Motor hence the water usage will be more and power savings will be less when compared with the Machines that come with an Inverter Motor. The IFB Executive Plus VX ID 8.5 Kg is the only IFB model that comes with an Inverter Motor.
- Though it offers excellent features, it is not advisable to dump heavy blankets as this machine cannot handle such massive loads.
This Diva Aqua SX is one of the best-selling Front Load Washing machines in India that gives you a clean and gentle wash. You don’t have to install a water softener as this machine comes can tackle hard water. This feature is not present in the Samsung, LG Machines mentioned above.
3. LG 7.0 Kg 5-Star Inverter Fully-Automatic Front Loading Washing Machine — FHM1207ZDL
LG offers a range of washing machines in different sizes to suit the requirements of every family. This model, FHM1207ZDL, a 7.0Kg machine, delivers a powerful wash while saving power and making less noise.
This technology allows your clothes to move around in multiple directions, such as Scrub, Stepping, Filtration, Tumble, Swing, and Rolling. As a result, your clothes get a better wash and come out looking sparklingly clean.
Other than the innovative 6-motion control technology, the device offers a range of valuable features.
- Direct Drive Technology where the motor is attached directly to the drum to reduce vibrations and noise
- The 6-motion technology to help your clothes emerge cleaner
- An inbuilt heater system to enable a hot water wash to remove stubborn stains
- Smart Diagnosis feature to help resolve operational issues with the machine
- Child lock feature to discourage your children from tampering with the settings
Why do we recommend this washing machine?
The Direct-Drive Inverter technology is useful because it ensures that the drum does not vibrate even when spinning at high speeds. Besides, it also reduces the noise considerably. This technology is better as the earlier generation of washing machines used a rubber belt to connect the motor and the drum. The Direct-Drive technology reduces wear and tear, and therefore, the engine lasts longer.
As explained earlier, the 6-Motion technology makes your clothes move around in different directions. It helps the detergent reach out to every part of your fabrics and ensure a thorough wash.
This LG machine offers ten wash programs to cater to your different requirements. The inbuilt heater system is unique because each wash program requires the water to heat to varying temperatures. For example, the cotton wash program allows the water to heat to 95 degrees Celsius, whereas the Quick 30 wash program does not require the water temperature above 40 degrees.
The spin speeds also vary depending on the wash program you select. You can set the maximum speed up to 1200rpm for the cotton wash. Similarly, for wool, the top speed is 800rpm and the temperature to 40 degrees.
Most users prefer the Quick 30 wash as it enables you to complete the entire wash cycle within 30 minutes. It is a good option for office goers and others who face time constraints. If necessary, you have the option of delaying the washing and spinning cycle by up to 19 hours. It helps you schedule your washing, depending on your convenience.
You can press the Spin and Temp buttons together to activate the Child Lock feature. Now, no one can tamper with the controls as the machine locks the settings you have set. Pressing the buttons once again releases the child lock.
Similarly, you can activate the drum cleaning feature by pressing the Time Delay and Pre-wash options simultaneously.
The Smart Diagnosis feature allows you to diagnose any operational issue with your washing machine. You need to download the Smart ThinQ app to get the best out of this feature.
What do we like?
- The multiple spinning speeds depending on the wash program you choose are positive features. The maximum speed setting can vary up to a maximum of 1200rpm. However, for specific washing cycles, the machine has pre-determined top speeds. You can select a lower spinning speed if necessary.
- Similar to the spinning speed, you can vary the water temperature up to a maximum of 95 degrees Celsius. The maximum temperature depends on the wash program you choose.
- The multiple movements of the wash drum prevent the formation of wrinkles on your clothes. Thus, your clothes come out in a better shape, ready for ironing.
- The Auto Restart option is advantageous in areas where you experience frequent power cuts. The machine stops working when there is a power cut. This option allows the machine to restart from the same position on resumption of power.
- The water intake for each wash cycle is different. Hence, it helps save water.
- The motor comes with a 10-year warranty.
- The Smart Diagnosis feature is easy to use. All you do is call the LG Customer Service Helpline and place your smartphone on the appliance. It communicates with the service center to diagnose the issue and provide immediate solutions.
What we don’t like?
- You should have a compatible smartphone to download and use the Smart ThinQ app.
- Compared to the Bosch 7.0 Kg machine, this LG model appears small.
This LG 7.0 Kg front-load washing machine should prove ideal for medium-sized Indian families and is available under Rs 30,000. If you reside in a joint family with more than three/four members, it is advisable to go for a model with a higher capacity, such as the LG 8.0 Kg FHM1208ZDL. The 6.5Kg ZHM1065ZDL and the 6Kg FHM1006ADW should be ideal for smaller families.
4. Bosch 6 Kg 5-Star Inverter Fully Automatic Front-Loading – WLJ2016WIN
The Bosch 6 Kg washing machine WLJ2016WIN is an improvement over its previous version, the WAB1616IN, as it includes new features like customization options on its panel, 15 wash programs, and 1000rpm spinning speed capacity.
Bosch has carried out various improvements to its basic model, the WAB1616IN, and come up with an improved version in the WLJ2016WIN. The revamped look is one of the features that could attract you to this model. Besides, it comes with advanced features like a Brushless EcoSilence Drive motor to enhance efficiency and reduce noise reduction.
- EcoSilence Drive technology for a durable, robust, silent, and efficient performance
- 15 wash programs to cater to every household requirement
- An improved spin speed of 1000rpm to help dry your clothes quicker
- A customizable panel that allows you to change RPM and temperature settings depending on your wash program and workload
- An in-built heater option for a hot water wash
- The anti-bacteria wash program ensures a hygienic wash every time you use it
- The Reloading function where you can open the lid and add/remove clothes early in the wash cycle
Why do we recommend this Bosch 6 Kg WLJ2016WIN front-loader?
If you are a recently-married couple or have a small family comprising three persons, you can opt for this machine WLJ2016WIN as it is available on an attractive budget. People facing space constraints can also go for a compact washing appliance like this Bosch model.
The EcoSilence Drive brushless motor is one of the distinguishing highlights of this Bosch model WLJ2016WIN. Besides being powerful, this technology ensures a silent and vibration-free washing experience. As there is no friction, the engine parts last longer than other motors.
Compared to the LG model, FHM1207ZDL offering ten wash programs, the Bosch model is a better option with 15 different washing options. It is also a marked improvement over its previous version that came with limited features.
The customizable panel is convenient to use as you can select the temperature levels and spin speeds according to your convenience. However, you should note that you cannot exceed the maximum levels stipulated for the respective wash program.
As this washing machine minimizes tangles by up to 50%, your office wear comes out ready for ironing. Besides, it enhances fabric longevity.
If you forget to add your child’s sports T-shirt to the cleaning load, there is no cause for worry. The Bosch model allows you to open the door and add/remove clothes in the early part of your wash cycle. However, this function is not available when the water level is high or its temperature is more than 50 degrees Celsius.
Among the different wash options, we love the Allergen-free and Anti-Bacterial wash programs as it helps to maintain the best hygiene levels for my fabrics and ensure optimum health of loved ones.
The Quick 15/30 wash program is a popular one as you can get your office wear clean and ready to iron in double-quick time. The Delay Start option is helpful as it allows you to set the timings depending on your convenience.
- The customizable control panel makes this model better than the previous basic version, WAB1616IN. You can set the spin speeds and temperature according to your convenience. The anti-tangle option reduces tangles by more than 50% to protect your fabrics.
- If you face time constraints, you can opt for the Delay Start feature and set the timings accordingly. Office goers prefer the Quick 15/30 wash program as it expedites the washing cycle. This washing machine model offers the best Quick Wash program in its niche.
- The pressure sensor feature detects the wash load and adjusts the water intake accordingly to save water. You also have the foam detection system to remove excessive foam to ensure your clothes come out free of any soap residue.
- Washing dark, colored clothes is not an issue anymore because you have a specific wash program, the Jeans/Dark for this purpose. It ensures that the fast colors do not stick to your light-colored fabrics and deface them.
- Not many front-loading washing machines offer the Reload option to open the doors early in the wash cycle to add/remove clothes. This option is available in this model. However, reloading is impossible when the water temperature is more than 50 degrees, or the water level is high.
- The detergent dispenser comes with three compartments that allow you to use liquid and powder detergents, depending on your choice. You have a separate option for including fabric softeners and bleaching agents.
- The brushless EcoSilence Direct Drive motor removes vibrations. Thus, you do not find the machine wobbling or making loud noises when spinning at high speeds.
- Safety features like child lock to prevent tampering with the controls and multiple water protection with a magnetic valve to minimize leakage can influence your decision to go for this model.
- Though priced attractively at around Rs 30,000, you have an LG washing machine, the 7Kg FHM1207ZDL available at competitive pricing. However, this Bosch model has better features.
- While the EcoSilence Direct Drive motor reduces vibrations, the sound levels when using the spinning options are high at 73db. When using the washing cycle, the sound level is manageable at 53db.
Small families can opt for the Bosch WLJ2016WIN to meet their requirements. Bosch models are also available with higher capacities, the 7Kg WAJ2416SIN, and the 8Kg WAJ2426MIN, with not much difference in the pricing.
5. Samsung 6.5 Kg Fully-Automatic Top-Loading Washing Machine – WA65A4002VS/TL
This Samsung fully-automatic top-loading washing machine is available in two sizes, 6.2Kg (WA62M4100HY/TL) and 6.5Kg (WA65A4002VS/TL) in the budget range of Rs 15,000. Depending on your family size and space constraints, you can go for either of the models. Generally, they display similar features.
Samsung offers a range of fully automatic top-loaders starting with the 6.2Kg capacity extending to the 10Kg models. Some of the distinguishing features include Diamond Drum’ Soft Curl’ design to prevent damage to your clothes. This 6.5 Kg model comes with push-button controlling options to make it convenient for everyone to use.
- Compared to the 12 to 15 wash programs that front-loaders offer, the top-loading machines have fewer programs, but they should suffice for your regular washing requirements. This 6.5Kg model offers six wash programs that include Normal, Quick wash, Delicate, Soak & Normal, Energy-Saving, and Eco Tub Clean.
- Though the machine offers push-button control options, the intuitive LED panel adds convenience by displaying the options selected.
- This 6.5Kg model has a decent spinning speed of 680rpm. The higher the speeds, the faster is the drying process.
- The Diamond Drum technology is unique to Samsung appliances. The soft curl design washes clothes effectively. The smooth diamond-shaped ridges protect your fabrics by preventing the tangling of your clothes.
- Center Jet technology to deliver a better wash experience
- Specific Monsoon mode for Indian conditions
- Other features like Magic Lint Filter, Child lock, water level selector, and auto restart
Why do we recommend Samsung 6.5 Kg Fully-Automatic Top-Loading washing machine?
Samsung top-loading washing machines are characterized by specific features that distinguish them from their peer models, the Whirlpool Whitemagic Royal Plus and the LG 6.5Kg T65SKSF4Z.
One such feature is Center Jet technology. This technology envisages jets of water generating from the center of the pulsator that pushes the clothes falling onto the pulsator surface. It improves washing effectiveness and also prevents your laundry from tangling.
The washing drum has diamond-shaped depressions on its sides with holes that are 25% smaller. This feature prevents fabrics from sticking out and getting damaged.
Six wash programs add to your convenience level. Quick Wash gets your clothes clean within half an hour and saves valuable time. Delicate clothes need special attention. This top-loader features a Delicate Wash option to take care of your baby’s fabrics and woolen garments. The Soak + Normal option is ideal for excessively dirty clothes.
The Eco Tub Clean feature removes debris in the washtub without using special detergents. This Samsung model features an Eco Tub Clean indicator option that lights up when the tub requires cleaning. You should utilize this functionality at least once a month to get the best out of your Samsung machine.
Samsung’s Magic Filter is different from that present on other models like Whirlpool, as it is positioned at a lower level. The filter’s primary function is to collect dust and dirt to enhance your washing experience.
What are the Benefits?
- The Center Jet Technology works by letting out powerful jets of water from the bottom of the pulsator. The upward flow of these jets pushes the clothes that fall on the pulsator. Thus, the clothes get a tumble wash and come out spotlessly clean.
- The Diamond Drum technology, with its diamond-shaped grooves and minute holes, prevents clothes from tangling.
- The Waterfall feature ensures uniform distribution of water and detergent to ensure a perfect cleaning experience.
- The Air Turbo feature allows for enhanced air circulation from all sides to enable quick drying. The Monsoon drying feature is an India-specific model that gives your clothes a rinse and spin to reduce drying time during the rainy season.
- The Samsung washing machine works on a powerful motor. However, the manufacturer offers a 2-year warranty, whereas the front-loaders provide extended warranties.
- This Samsung top-loader is available at an attractive price under Rs 15,000.
Are there any Drawbacks?
- This Samsung washing machine does not come equipped with an inbuilt heater.
The 6.5 Kg Samsung top-loader is suitable for the average Indian family of three to four persons. If you are a single individual or a newly married couple, you can settle for the 6.2 Kg variant of the same brand. The Samsung washing machine is also available as a 7Kg variant (WA70A4002GS/TL) to cater to larger families.
6. Whirlpool 7.5 Kg 5-Star Fully Automatic Top-Loading Washing Machine – Whitemagic Royal Plus
This Whirlpool 7.5Kg Whitemagic Royal Plus top-loader is a good deal for people living in high-rise apartments because of the Zero Pressure Fill Technology. However, be prepared to shell out substantial sums of money on maintenance if you do not opt for an AMC.
Whirlpool’s 6th Sense Technology is an innovative feature that helps the machine sense low voltage and water conditions to adjust the wash and spin cycle accordingly.
Whirlpool washing machines are available in different sizes ranging from 6.5Kg to 9.5Kg. While some of the models like the 360 Bloomwash 540 and 360 Bloomwash 9.5 feature inbuilt heaters, the Whitemagic Royal Plus 7.5 does not.
- Twelve wash programs enhance the utility factor.
- The 1-2-3 wash program enables convenient washing by pressing three simple buttons.
- Spiro Wash Action ensures a uniform wash.
- 6th Sense Smart Sensors senses the water levels and load to recommend the right detergent level.
- Hard water wash technology senses the water type and adapts the wash cycle accordingly.
- ZPF technology enables convenient washing even when the pressure is low.
- Office goers love Express Wash as it helps you get away with the washing chores quickly.
- The Delay Wash is a convenient option as you can delay your wash cycle by up to 24 hours.
Why do we recommend Whirlpool 7.5 Kg Whitemagic Royal Plus?
This Whirlpool Whitemagic Royal Plus 7.5 top-loader can cater to the washing needs of the average Indian family comprising of four persons. While the Samsung 6.5Kg, WA65A4002VS/TL, offers six wash programs, the Whirlpool 7.5Kg top-loading washing machine offers 12 and an improved spin speed of 740rpm.
Operating this Whirlpool top-loader is easy as all you do is fill it with your laundry and press the buttons, 1-2-3. The machine senses the load to determine the water and detergent level. The machine proceeds to complete the wash cycle.
You do not have to scrub your dirty collars and cuff manually anymore. The Whirlpool Whitemagic Royal Plus 7.5 comes with Power Scrub Technology to create superior agitation, take care of the tough dirt, and give a thorough wash.
Besides, this machine offers 12 wash programs to cater to your different clothes like woolens, bedsheets, white garments, and other delicate garments. Options like Rinse + Spin, Spin, Wash, and Eco Wash complete a satisfying washing experience.
The Hard Water Wash Technology is unique as the machine senses the water hardness and recommends the detergent level accordingly. It adapts the wash cycle to ensure a decent wash.
If you live in a high-rise apartment, you can face issues concerning water pressure. Generally, washing machines require water at decent pressure levels for smooth functioning. This Whirlpool top-loader features Zero Pressure Fill Technology that ensures the wash tub fills up to 50% even if the water pressure is as low as 17mpa.
The Express Wash cycle comes to your rescue if you are in a hurry, as this cycle consumes up to 40% less time than the standard washing cycle. Similarly, you can delay your washing by up to 24 hours if you are preoccupied with other household chores.
- The controls are situated at the far end of the top panel. Thus, there is no chance of water spilling over and damaging it. Models like the Samsung WA65A4002VS/TL and the Panasonic F60LF1HRB have the control panel at the front end.
- The strategically placed Magic Lint Filter is practically invisible to the human eye. It collects the lint and other debris from your fabrics during the spin cycle by employing centrifugal force. Hence, it saves you the labor of manual intervention every time.
- The Auto Tub Clean feature enhances hygiene levels by automatically cleaning the inner surface of the washtub by reusing the water used in the wash cycle. Keeping the tub clean prevents the formation of a slimy layer on the surface, thereby enhancing the washtub’s overall lifespan.
- This model does not feature an agitator. However, the Spiro Wash Action mode is an advanced technique where it washes the clothes in a unique circular motion to provide a thorough and uniform wash.
- The Whirlpool Whitemagic Royal Plus is ideal for an average family size of up to four persons. The pricing is competitive compared to some of its peers like the LG 6.5Kg T65SKSF4Z and the Samsung 6.5Kg WA65T4262GG/TL.
- It is advisable to go for an AMC after the warranty period. The control panel is the most vulnerable. Replacing one can cost a few thousand bucks.
- This washing machine tends to make more sound than its competitor, the Samsung top-loader, WA65A4002VS/TL, especially when spinning at high speeds.
Among the top-loading washing machines, the Whirlpool Whitemagic Royal Plus is a favorite with homemakers because of the ease of operation. The 1-2-3 wash system is a delight to use as one does not know much about the controls and still can operate the machine safely.
7. LG 6.5 Kg 5-Star Smart Inverter Fully-Automatic Top-Loading Washing Machine – T65SKSF4Z
The LG 6.5Kg T65SKSF4Z is available with a 5-star rating, thereby implying that the machine saves power and water. A more recent model, the LG 6.5Kg T7585NDDLGA, is also available at a lower price.
The Smart Inverter Motor and the Turbo Drum feature make this LG 6.5Kg top-loading machine different from its immediate competitors, the Samsung 6.5Kg WA65A4002VS/TL and the Whirlpool 7Kg Whitemagic Royal Plus.
- The 5-star BEE rating certifies this washing machine as a power-saving appliance.
- Smart inverter motor that saves power and lasts long
- Six wash programs including Quick Wash, Strong, Gentle, Normal, Pre-wash + Normal, and Tub Clean/Aqua Reserve
- Features like an anti-rat cover, Smart Diagnosis, Fuzzy Logic Control, and the Auto Balance System Child lock, and Auto Restart
- The 3-step wash is a revolutionary concept that adds to your convenience levels.
- Smart Diagnosis to help diagnose and resolve issues quicker
Why do we recommend LG T65SKSF4Z?
One of the prime highlights of the LG top-loading washing machines is the Smart Diagnosis feature. Almost every model, including the T65SKSF4Z, comes equipped with this functionality.
The Smart Diagnosis feature works through a smartphone app, Smart ThinQ. Using this app, it becomes convenient to diagnose issues with the machine and correspond with the service center for a quick resolution.
The smart inverter technology provides three different kinds of benefits. It improves the safety aspect and offers a better washing experience. This technology reduces vibration, and hence the machine makes less noise compared to its peers.
The inverter motor connects to the Turbo Drum directly without using conveyor belts or pulleys. Hence, this machine remains stable and does not vibrate even when spinning at speeds as high as 780rpm.
BMC protection to the inverter motor protects it from external factors like dust, insects, and humidity. Thus, you have a long-lasting engine to power your LG top-loading washing machine. It is evident from the 10-year warranty that LG provides on the motor.
Six wash programs might seem inadequate when compared to the 12 offered by Whirlpool Whitemagic Royal Plus 7.5. However, you should note that these six wash programs cater to every requirement and takes care of all kinds of fabrics, including your delicate clothes, woolens, jeans, and your regular laundry.
The Fuzzy Logic feature selects the most appropriate wash cycle depending on the wash load. It automatically determines the detergent and water quantity required for the specific washing cycle.
The Quick Wash option is helpful for those who have time constraints. However, you should note that the clothes should not be heavily soiled, and the overall weight should not exceed 2Kg.
The Auto Pre-Wash option is ideal for removing heavily soiled clothes. This Pre-Wash + Normal wash cycle is one of the most preferred options by users. This one-touch solution is the easiest option to clean stained clothes without any concern.
The side waterfall feature enables convenient mixing of the water and detergent to minimize detergent residue.
What are the Positives?
- The Auto Restart option ensures that the machine starts from the same cycle where it left off during the power outage. Thus, it saves valuable time and labor. You need not go through the entire process of selecting the appropriate wash cycle.
- Using the Smart Diagnosis feature is easy. You have to download the Smart ThinQ app on your compatible smartphone. Open the app, place your smartphone on the machine, and press the ‘Water’ button for three seconds. The sound of Diagnosis will continue for some time. The LG customer center will identify and guide you to resolve the problem.
- The Tub Clean feature sterilizes the inner and the outer tub. It removes the unpleasant smell that lingers in the tub after the washing cycle.
- The smart inverter motor connects to the drum directly without using belts. Hence, the washing machine does not vibrate or make noise even when spinning at the top speed of 780rpm.
- The Quick Wash option is most endearing to users as office-goers have little time at their disposal. However, this wash cycle requires the load to be less than 2Kg and the clothes, lightly soiled.
Are there any Negatives?
- If you dump the clothes together, you experience side-banging. However, you can pause the machine and adjust the clothes accordingly.
- The power cord and drainpipe are short. It affects the machine’s mobility and makes it less flexible.
This LG top-loader, T65SKSF4Z, is ideal for small families. If you have a bigger family comprising more than four persons, you can go for better options in the LG 8Kg T80SJSF1Z or the LG 9Kg T90SJSF1Z.
8. Whirlpool 7 Kg 5-Star Semi-automatic top-loading washing machine – Superb Atom
Whirlpool offers an exciting range of semi-automatic washing machines starting with the 6Kg Superb Atom 60I. You have Whirlpool semi-automatic machines (Ace XL 10.5Kg) coming with innovative features like an inbuilt heater system.
The unique aspect that distinguishes semi-automatic washing machines from the fully automatic models is the use of two separate drums for washing and drying.
This Whirlpool model, Super Atom 7.0, allows homemakers to scrub the clothes, especially the collars and cuffs, before putting them into the machine. The scrubbing area is strategically placed at the top and designed so that the soap water directly flows into the wash drum.
- This machine comes equipped with a 66L washtub that offers the maximum space for cleaning your clothes. Other devices in this category are not that generous in this aspect.
- Three wash programs (Delicate, Normal, and Heavy) to cater to all your washing requirements
- The water-proof control panel makes it easy to operate the machine.
- This top-loading semi-automatic washing machine works on a robust 340W motor.
- Mobility is the strong point of this appliance as it comes equipped with four sturdy wheels.
- This machine dries clothes faster than its competitors because of the high spin speed of 1400 rpm.
- Soak technology helps to remove stubborn stains comfortably.
Why do we recommend Superb Atom?
Heavily soiled clothes need extensive soaking to enable the detergent to enter every fiber and extricate the dirt. This Whirlpool semi-automatic washing appliance features Soak Technology, where you can soak your dirty clothes long enough to ensure a perfect wash.
Indian homemakers always love to scrub the collars and cuffs to remove the excess dirt settling on these areas. This model works on TurboScrub technology with a unique in-built scrubber to ensure that your shirt collars get a good wash.
The innovative Scrub Station allows you to scrub the clothes while standing. The unique flow-back design allows the water and soap to flow into the washtub instead of spilling out.
The end of the cycle buzzer feature alerts you that a specific cycle is over. Thus, you can carry on with your other domestic responsibilities as the machine does its job of washing your clothes.
This machine features a large washtub with a capacity of 66L to enable you to wash all your clothes in one go.
What did we like?
- Four sturdy wheels make this Whirlpool washing machine one of the most comfortable to move around in the house.
- Three wash programs cater to every washing responsibility. The Heavy wash is ideal for washing your jeans, bedsheets, and other heavy clothing. The delicate wash is perfect for your children’s fabrics.
- The uniquely designed scrub station is a welcome feature as it causes almost NIL spillage.
- The shock-proof and water-proof control panel allows you to wash the area with water comfortably.
- For a 7Kg semi-automatic washing machine, this Whirlpool model offers a high spin speed of 1400rpm to enable comfortable drying of your clothes.
- Both the washtub and spin tub are spacious that allows you to wash more clothes at a time.
What we don’t like?
- The semi-automatic functionality entails doing some acts manually, like scrubbing your clothes and transferring your clothes from the washtub to the spin tub.
- This Whirlpool semi-automatic machine occupies more space than the fully automatic top-loaders.
This 7 Kg model should prove ideal for Indian homes. If you are a small family, you can try out the smaller models, like the Onida 6.5 Kg (WS65WLPT1LR) or the Whirlpool 6 Kg (Superb Atom 60I). Big families can use the larger semi-automatic washing machines, like the White Westinghouse 9Kg (CSW9000) or the LG 9Kg (P9040RGAZ).
Best Washing machine brands in India
However, before going into the intricacies of the washing machine buying guide, we shall list out some of the top washing machine brands available in the Indian market today.
LG: When it comes to electronics items, you always find LG at the top of the heap. This is mainly because LG knows the pulse of the Indian market and understands the Indian customer better than the others do.
IFB: A leading overseas brand, IFB has also arrived in India with a bang. They can give tough competition to the other international brands like Bosch and Siemens.
Whirlpool: Some of the most durable washing machines have come from the Whirlpool stable.
Samsung: You cannot leave this electronic giant behind when you discuss electronic appliances. They have their own place in the market.
There are other brands such as Godrej, Onida that concentrate on the economic part. Thus, if you have a constraint in the budget, you can very well opt for these brands as well.
Washing Machine buying guide
We shall now at the various features you usually encounter when you step into the market to buy a washing machine. This buying guide can help clear all your doubts on the matter.
Semi-Automatic vs Fully Automatic Machines
What does the word ‘Automatic’ signify?
When we use the word ‘Automatic’ in context with the washing machine, we infer that the machine not only washes the clothes but also extracts the water from them after the washing process is over.
The fully automatic machine has a program that takes care of all aspects of washing, spinning, and drying.
In the semi-automatic machines, you have to transfer the clothes manually to the spin tub after the washing cycle is over. Thus, you find the semi-automatic machines having two tubs. Otherwise, the mechanism, as well as energy consumption features, are more or less the same.
Front Load vs Top Load Machines
You must have heard these names many times when you refer to washing machines. The differentiation is very simple. As the name suggests, the front load machines entail loading of the clothes from the front portion.
In the top load machines, you load clothes into the washing drum from the top. Usually, you find people from Western countries preferring the front load machines.
The front loading machines are fully automatic machines whereas you have semi-automatic machines in the top load machines in addition to the fully automatic ones.
One has to concede that the front load machines use less water in comparison to the top load ones.
This is because you need lots of water to soak clothes. The front-loading machines work with a tumbling action thereby requiring less amount of water for soaking purposes. However, the front load machines have longer cycles when you compare them with the top load machines.
The front-load washing machines run for longer periods, but at a comparatively slower speed. Hence, they are more energy efficient as compared to the top loading machines.
These front loading machines have a hot water cycle to clean clothes. They make use of a dryer as well. As there is less water consumption, the drying of the clothes is more efficient. The dryer cycles are shorter thereby they use less power in the dryer cycle as compared to the top load machines.
Washing machines Technologies
You have just seen the main features of the washing machines. Let us no look at the different technologies in use.
This technology is a revolutionary one capable of saving power especially when you feel the need to use a motor.
Inverter Technology enables the machines to run at a speed optimum to the load.
In the normal course, your washing machine has a motor that is capable of running at a fixed load. Hence, it performs at the optimum level only when you have this particular load.
However, in the case of the Inverter technology, you have the machine running at variable speeds that is optimum for the load you have at a particular time.
This technology has a special electronic circuit that determines the speed of the motor based on the load. Hence, you end up saving lots of power because you do not have the same load every day.
Direct Drive Technology
In the conventional motors, you have movable parts like gears and belts. Whenever you use these parts, there is a lot of friction involved. This can affect the efficiency of the motor.
The Direct Drive Technology removes the use of such movable parts thereby resulting in the elimination of friction and thus saving electricity.
There is a disadvantage as well because the Direct Drive technology based motors can be heavier than the conventional motors.
However, they have a greater degree of efficiency and they produce less noise as well. Today, you have some manufacturers using a combination of both Inverter and direct drive technology.
This can be of great benefit as it saves considerable power especially when you have variable loads.
We have seen the advantages of using the inverter and direct drive technology in washing machines just now.
We shall now proceed with the key washing machine technologies used by various manufacturers.
These are the path-breaking technologies you witness in the best washing machines in India in 2021.
Using these technologies, you can expect your machines to remove the most obstinate stains such as the ink blot on your T-shirt pocket or the largest of bed-sheets and curtains.
These technologies not only help in cleaning them but also ensure in keeping them fresh and soft after the wash..
Flexwash and TwinWash
You might have great confusion between choosing the top loading and front loading machines because each of these machines has its inherent advantages.
How would it be if you have a washing machine that combines the benefits of both the technologies?
It would be a great experience.
Samsung has come up with the Flexwash option whereby you have the flexibility of using both the designs in a single machine. The main front loader machine has a capacity of 21 Kg whereas you have a miniature top loading facility as well with a capacity of 3.5 Kg.
This enables you to wash the heavy laundry items like bed sheets, blankets, and curtains as well as the delicate items like handkerchiefs, socks, and lingerie together in two different modes.
LG has also adopted this technique and has introduced the TwinWash facility that has two individual drums in its latest range of washing machines.
This technology involves the use of two separate drums, the main drum with a capacity of 20 Kg for cleaning heavy laundry and a mini section below the main drum for washing the smaller items like scarfs and inner garments.
This enables you to get the benefit of both the technologies in a single machine.
EcoBubble and O2 Wash
Washing clothes is important. It is also important not to damage the fabric while washing them. One way of ensuring the same is to unleash the power of bubbles in cleaning clothes.
You have this facility in most of the washing machines that have hot water cycles.
Electronic giants like IFB and Samsung have introduced this technique in machines using cold water as well. Indians use cold water while for washing their laundry items.
Samsung has pioneered the EcoBubble technology that converts the detergent particles into bubbles. These bubbles inflate around the clothes and penetrate the fabric to remove the most stubborn of dirt particles.
IFB has its own version, the O2 Wash where you can see the same technology in action.
6-Motion DD and Wave Motion
Different kinds of fabrics require different motion technologies to get an optimum wash. The washing machines have become smart today with companies like LG, Samsung, and IFB coming up with specific technologies to achieve a gamut of cleaning styles.
LG has introduced the 6-Motion DD technology that encompasses the following six wash motion types namely, Tumble, Stepping, Scrubbing, Swing, Rolling, and Filtration. You find this unique combination in LG’s premium range of models.
Whirlpool has come up with a new range of front loading machines. It uses the SoftMove technology that enables the machine to sense the load inside the drum and use the appropriate program based on the type of fabric loaded inside.
It uses the following types of motion technology, Energetic wash, Soft cradle, Power Shower, and Slow Motion depending in the fabric you load into the machine.
IFB cannot be very far behind in the adoption of such technologies. They have engineered the different types of wash styles like Air Bubble Wash, 3600 wash, Cradle wash, Steam wash, and O2 wash.
Innovative Drum technologies
One of the most important parts of any washing machine is the drum. You need your washing machine to give you a high-quality wash every time without damaging the fabric.
The design of the drum has to play an important role in this endeavor.
Different manufacturers have their own designs. Bosch uses a unique type of technology in its drum designing. Known as the VarioDrum technology, you can observe the diverse movements of the paddle as the drum changes its spinning direction.
As it spins in one direction, the machine employs the flat side of the paddle for cleaning the loaded clothes. When it changes its spinning direction, the steep side of the paddle comes into the picture by delivering a profound cleaning experience with its unique wave-droplet design.
Siemens uses a similar technology to the one used by Bosch.
This technology ensures that it takes great care of the laundry. Samsung employs the Diamond Drum technology in its top loading machines. These drums have 25% smaller holes. These holes are located inside a diamond-shaped depression that prevents the clothes from sticking out of the drum thereby ensuring its safety.
The smaller water exit holes can help protect the longevity of the fabric. The embossed washboard minimizes the exposure of the textile areas to the harmful effects of washing.
The quality of washing depends a lot on the soaking of the clothes in the right manner. The leading manufacturers have come up with special soaking technologies to improve your washing experience.
Samsung machines have the BubbleSoak technology that helps the machine to eliminate the dirt by soaking the clothes in bubbles with a press of a button.
The advantage of this technique is that the soft bubbles do not damage the fabric. Whirlpool has its own technology known as SuperSoak for ensuring the removal of tough stains as it activates the incessant soaking and scrubbing motion.
The Eco Drum Cleaning technology used by Samsung sanitizes the drum by eliminating the harmful allergens. They use a special technique whereby it removes the residue from the diaphragm through drum sanitization.
This system makes use of hot water and powerful jet streams. You can find these features in the higher end models. In addition to sanitizing the drum, this technique can increase the effectiveness of the detergents.
Built-in heaters in Washing machines
Hot water has great capabilities to remove the toughest of stains. You find the Western countries using this technique in their front loading machines. Until very recently, Indian washing machine manufacturers had not used this technology in their machines.
However, you have companies like Samsung and Whirlpool coming with innovative technologies in this aspect.
The front-loading machines manufactured by Samsung come with ceramic heaters that have the tendency to prevent the build-up of stubborn calcium salts. As they have a quick heating capacity, these heaters are very effective in reducing the electricity consumption as well.
Whirlpool is the only Indian manufacturer that offers this facility in the top-loading machines in the Indian market. These machines are capable of heating water up to 600C thereby ensuring the removal of the most stubborn stains.
Noise reduction and Anti-vibration technologies
Noise and vibration have been synonymous with washing machines right since their inception. One must admit that the noise, as well as the vibration, has always been one of the major problems as far as consumers are concerned.
The manufacturers are coming up with improved technology to reduce as much noise and vibration as possible.
Samsung has introduced its latest technology, VRT+ (Vibration Reduction Technology Plus), an improvement of the existing VRT. This is a useful technology because of the presence of noise-sensitive light sleepers. It strives to keep the noise levels and the vibration at the lowest.
The vibration levels are at its maximum during the spin cycle. Bosch has introduced the Ant vibration technology that aims to eliminate vibrations by employing high-tech sensors. They help in maintaining the load balance by adjusting the drum motion.
Tackling hard water
India has this problem of having to use hard water for washing purposes. The problem with hard water is that it becomes difficult to dissolve the detergents in it.
Secondly, you also end up with deposits of salt around the drum and supply pipes resulting in choking them. Therefore, you find Indian washing machine manufacturers employing innovative techniques to deal with this issue.
Whirlpool has a specific ‘Hard Water’ option in its latest semi-automatic machine series, Ace. This option allows eliminating dirt from the clothes even when the water is hard.
The present generation of IFB machines comes with a unique Aqua Energie technology that enables it to convert the hard water to soft water. The models come equipped with Aqua filter that helps to break the salts like bicarbonates in the hard water into fine crystals.
The small size of the crystals enables the blending of these crystals with the flow of water. This prevents the accumulation of scale on the critical machine parts thereby preventing its choking.
Maytag has introduced this technology in its front-loading machines whereby these machines adjust its performance depending on the hardness of the water.
Auto dispensing solutions
Many people face the problem of dispensing the right quantity of detergents thereby resulting in inefficient washing performances. Less detergent can affect the quality of the cleaning.
At the same time, a higher level of detergent can increase the requirement of water. There can be occurrences of discoloration and emission of bad odor if you use less detergent.
Hence, the manufacturers have started providing auto dispensing options in their higher end washing machines today.
Whirlpool comes equipped with the Auto Detergent Dosage technology that determines the quantity of detergent to use based on the load as well as the degree of soiling.
The washing machines have become smart today with manufacturers like Bosch using iDOS technology in its latest Series 6 and 8 machines.
This system evaluates the hardness of water and soiling of clothes and determines the right quantity of detergents thereby ensuring optimum usage.
The whole world is becoming smarter with the use of smart technology in virtually every field. You have smartphones, smart TVs and so on.
The washing machines have also become smart today with the introduction of various innovative features.
The latest LG machines come equipped with Near Field Communication (NFC) tags that enable diagnosis and monitoring.
This facility helps in synchronizing the washing machine with the smartphone having Smart Diagnosis app.
This app enables the user to know if there is an issue with the washing machine. It then proceeds to educate the user by providing troubleshooting guidance.
Similarly, Samsung offers this facility to users enabling them to control their washing machines from their smartphones using a Smart Control app. You get the status of the machine at any time. You can also solve problems concerning the machine over the phone itself.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Front Load vs Top Load Washing Machines – Which is better?
Front Loading washing machines do not require much water and are more energy-efficient than top-loading machines. Also, the front loading washing machines are more expensive than the top load models because of their energy-saving and other features.
2. How to prevent tangling of clothes in washing machine?
The front load washing machines use a tumbling action as compared to the spinning action in the top load washing machines. The font load models do not have impellers and agiators. Hence there will be no tangling of clothes.
3. How much detergent do you need?
The amount of detergent depends on the condition and nature of the clothes. It also depends on water hardness. If you notice soap suds left on the clothes after the wash, you are using more detergent than required.
4. Washing Machine Powder vs Liquid detergent Which is better?
Liquid detergents are better than the washing powder as the liquid can easily dissolve in water than the powders. Also, they do not create white residue that stick on the clothes.
- 10 Best Front Load Washing Machines in India (2021) | LG, Bosch, IFB, Samsung!
- Agitator vs Impeller Washing Machine | Which is better option?
- Front Load vs Top Load Washing Machines | In-depth Comparison (2021)
- Inverter Technology in Washing Machines – Explained!
- How does the Samsung Eco Bubble washing machine work?
VS Chaitanya is a Computer engineer, creator, and editor in chief of Kitchenarena. He is a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert and has experience of Ten years in technology news reporting and his area of expertise includes Large Appliances and Electronics.