Rice is the staple food of almost every Indian. Everyone in India consumes rice virtually on a daily basis. The only difference is that some sections of society consume more than the others.
For example, the South Indian community (including Tamils, Telugus, Kannadigas, and Malayalees and so on) consume rice on a larger scale than the North Indians do.
Similarly, people belonging to the Eastern part of our country like West Bengal consume more rice than the people in states of Gujarat and Rajasthan. However, Rice is an integral part of the diet for all Indians.
Which are the most popular rice cooker brands available in India in 2019?
There are many prominent brands out there on the market. Some of them are Panasonic, Prestige, Bajaj, and so on. Let us review some of these brands for your benefit.
Table of Contents
- Best Rice Cookers in India
- 1. Panasonic SR-Y18FHS 660-Watt Automatic Electric Cooker
- 2. Panasonic SR-WA10 450-Watt Automatic cooker without Warmer
- 3. Prestige Delight Electric Rice Cooker with 2 aluminium pans
- 4. Bajaj RCX 5 1.8-litre Rice Cooker
- 5. Panasonic SR-WA18 E Automatic Rice Cooker
- 6. Prestige PRWO 1.8-2 700-watts Delight Electric Rice Cooker
- 7. Bajaj Majesty RCX 1 Mini 0.4-litre Multi-function Rice Cooker
- Differences between a pressure cooker and a rice cooker
- Rice Cooker – Aspects to look at
Best Rice Cookers in India
1. Panasonic SR-Y18FHS 660-Watt Automatic Electric Cooker
This rice cooker comes with a powerful 660-watt motor to facilitate the quicker cooking of rice/. It saves sufficient energy as well. The 1.8-litre capacity should be enough for a decent-sized Indian family. The Panasonic cooker comes with heat-proof bridge handles that enable you to have a comfortable grip. The auto cooking feature allows you to carry on with other kitchen chores. The non-stick cook pan ensures that rice does not stick to the bottom. It is easy to clean this cooker as well.
2. Panasonic SR-WA10 450-Watt Automatic cooker without Warmer
This Panasonic rice cooker can cook up to 0.6 kg of raw rice. The body is made of premium quality food-grade material. The anodized aluminium cooking pan is a highly durable one. The heat-resistant handles allow you to carry the cooker easily without scalding your hands. Use this cooker to prepare Basmati rice. Add the appropriate quantity of water to ensure that the best rice cooker for Basmati rice produces high-quality output. You find that the grains of the rice do not stick to each other.
3. Prestige Delight Electric Rice Cooker with 2 aluminium pans
Prestige is a market leader in kitchen appliances. Use this rice cooker to prepare a variety of dishes like rice, porridge, stew, idlis, and steam vegetables. Use the handle slot to place the ladles or scoops as a matter of convenience. This Prestige cooker comes with automatic controls that shift to the ‘Keep Warm’ mode after the cooking is over. The cooker has an insulated wall whereby the external parts including the handle do not become hot while the cooker is on.
4. Bajaj RCX 5 1.8-litre Rice Cooker
Cooking your favourite rice dishes with this Bajaj cooker does not require any supervision. The mechanism is easy to understand and handle. The aluminium cooking bowl with anodized finish ensures easy absorption of heat thereby saving time. This cooker comes with two cool-touch handles that allow you to carry the cooker easily. The stainless steel lid has a vent that allows the excess steam to escape thereby making the appliance safe.
5. Panasonic SR-WA18 E Automatic Rice Cooker
Cook up to 0.6 kg of raw rice with this Panasonic cooker. The cooker has a body made of a food-grade premium quality material that makes it safe for use. The anodized steel lid is a durable one. The cooking pans are made of anodized aluminium. The exteriors of the cooker do not become hot. Hence, carrying it becomes easy. Lock the lid in place to avoid accidental opening of the same.
6. Prestige PRWO 1.8-2 700-watts Delight Electric Rice Cooker
The Prestige rice cooker is a smart one as it allows you to prepare a variety of rice dishes including porridges and stews. Steaming idlis is also easy. The 1.8-litre capacity ensures that you can prepare adequate rice for the entire family. You have different controls for cooking and warming as the appliance switches to the ‘Keep Warm’ mode after cooking. The additional cooking pan is stackable whereby it allows uniform distribution of rice. The closely fit lid prevents the escape of heat.
7. Bajaj Majesty RCX 1 Mini 0.4-litre Multi-function Rice Cooker
This Bajaj cooker is a small cooker, ideal for couples and bachelors. This best rice cooker for bachelors comes with a transparent lid that allows for easy monitoring. The cooker has easy-to-use operational procedures. It is a comfortable appliance as its saves space due to its compact size. Hence, carrying it around is easy.
Differences between a pressure cooker and a rice cooker
Some people cook rice using their pressure cookers as well. Let us note the glaring differences between a pressure cooker and a rice cooker.
Rice Cooker – Aspects to look at
Let us know the features of the best rice cooker in India. These are the aspects you should look at while purchasing a top-quality rice cooker.
Usually, the basic rice cookers offer one-touch control options. The advanced ones have digital displays. You should make sure to understand the controls easily. It is not advisable to keep referring to the manual every time.
The elementary models come with manual timer knobs. However, the digital timers are the best as they can help switch off the rice cooker at a specified time. It will also let us know the time by which the meal would be ready to serve.
Some rice cookers come with stainless steel bowls. They are undoubtedly durable but can be challenging to clean. On the other hand, the bowls with a non-stick coating allow for easy cleaning and washing. Look out for the containers that are safe to use in a dishwasher.
The rice cooker should have an insulating body. The exterior of the cooker should not burn your hands when the appliance is on. It is critical to have handles that remain cool to allow you to serve the rice directly from the rice cooker bowl.
We have gone through the features you should expect your rice cooker to have. Let us learn about the different types of rice cookers and understand which size suits you the best.
The frequency of cooking rice
If you are an occasional rice eater, you can opt for the basic rice cooker. People who eat only white rice can also choose a simple rice cooker. However, if you love to have different varieties of rice, you will find the need to select the advanced rice cooker that comes with different settings.
Space is an issue as well
Usually, rice cookers do not occupy much space. You can carry it almost anywhere. However, if you have a small kitchen, you would love to have the multi-purpose cooker that functions as a steamer as well as a slow cooker.
Your family size
The size of the rice cooker depends on the number of members eating rice in the family. The smallest cooker can suffice for a family of 3 to 4 persons. Bigger families need cookers that can cook about 5 to 10 containers of rice.
Different types of rice cookers
Advantages of rice cookers
- Rice cookers are easy to use as compared to say microwave ovens. There are no chances of spillage of excess water or overflowing of the cooked rice.
- The rice cookers cook rice perfectly without overcooking or undercooking it.
- Some of the latest rice cookers allow cooking of different varieties of rice including brown rice.
- The rice remains warm for a long time, especially if you do not open the cooker.
- These cookers do not require any monitoring during the cooking process to determine whether the process is over or not.
Disadvantages of rice cookers
- Some of the rice cooker models are not very effective when it comes to cooking brown rice.
- A couple of models are bulky whereby they require more space in the kitchen.
- Determining the right size is a problem that many people face.
Now, you understand the difference between a traditional pressure cooker and an electric rice cooker. This buying guide and reviews should make it simple for you to purchase the best rice cooker in India for your homes.