Are you looking for a Best Refrigerator for your home? It is a great feeling to have a glass of chilled water on a hot afternoon. What do you do then? It is very simple. Open the Refrigerator and take your pick from the water bottles to quench your thirst. What does this signify? This is a clear indication that the Refrigerator (fridge) is an integral part of every house today. No house is complete without this appliance standing in the corner of your dining room.
Naturally, you have to do your homework right before buying the best Refrigerator of your choice. There are hundreds of refrigerator brands available in the market. Frankly speaking, these brands can confuse you a lot with their tall claims. You need a simple guide to help you narrow down your choices. This article provides the right answers thereby enabling you to make a simple but informed choice.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Double Door Refrigerators in India (Frost Free)
- 1.1 LG 260 L 4-Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
- 1.2 Whirlpool 340 L 3-Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
- 1.3 Haier 247 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
- 1.4 Samsung 253 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
- 1.5 Whirlpool 245 L Frist Free Double Door Refrigerator
- 1.6 Samsung 275 L 5-Star Frost Free Refrigerator
- 2 Best Single Door Refrigerators in India
- 3 The Perfect Buying Guide for your Best Refrigerator
Best Double Door Refrigerators in India (Frost Free)
Let us look at some of the features of the best double door and single door refrigerators available in the market today. This can help you narrow down your choices considerably.
LG 260 L 4-Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (GL-1292RPZL)
- LG is one of the leading manufacturers of best frost free refrigerators. This particular refrigerator has a capacity of 260 litres and comes with a double door. This entails that you have a separate freezer box.
- Working on the inverter technology, you have the services of a Smart Inverter Compressor from LG. One of the important features of this refrigerator is the ice beam door cooling facility.
- This model comes with an automatic smart connect facility. The premium florid finish makes the refrigerator look very attractive as well.
- The energy rating of 4-star allows you to save considerable power while being attractively priced at the same time.
- You have a 1-year comprehensive warranty on the refrigerator while the Smart Inverter Compressor has a 9-year warranty.
Whirlpool 340 L 3-Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (IF 355 ELT ALPHA STEEL(3S), Alfa Steel)
- Normally people associate Whirlpool with washing machines. However, they are equally adept at manufacturing best refrigerators as well. The refrigerator in question is one of the best ones available from the Whirlpool stable.
- Having a capacity of 340 litres, this double door refrigerator is perfect for big families. This is a 3-star refrigerator.
- This is an intelligent refrigerator having 3 intellisensors on the display panel, FC, and the RC.
- You get a deep freezer with tower cooling facility. The presence of flexi-vents on the fridge allows for the free flow of fresh air into the tray whereby you can get rid of the stale smell. This can keep your food, especially the vegetables fresh for a long time.
- The active Deo facility ensures that your refrigerator remains fresh at all times.
- This is one of the best refrigerators for storing fruits as they remain crispier for a longer time.
- The friendly user interface and stabilizer free operation are additional features.
- This refrigerator comes with a comprehensive warranty for one year.
Haier 247 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (HRF-2674BS-R)
- This 247-litre capacity refrigerator comes with Haier technology, one of the best in the business.
- Making ice cubes is very easy with the Hour Icing technology. It will not take more than 60 minutes to form the ice cubes.
- The cool pad facility is available whereby you can maintain the chillness of the food for up to 10 hours even during power cuts.
- This refrigerator can withstand voltage fluctuations in the range 135 to 290 volts. Hence, you do not require a stabilizer.
- The 360-degree air flow ensures that it cools every part of the fridge in a uniform manner. This facility also takes care of the humidity factor.
- The Vitamin C filter allows you to store fruits and vegetables for up to seven days without experiencing any loss in their moisture levels and freshness.
- The innovative child lock feature can help you keep your refrigerator out of bounds for children, especially when you are not around.
- This 3-star refrigerator comes equipped with a reciprocatory compressor that ensures low maintenance costs.
- You have a 10-day replacement guarantee. Subsequently, the refrigerator has a 1-year warranty with the compressor getting a 9-year warranty window.
Samsung 253 L Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (RT28M3022S8-HL/RT28M3022S8-NL, Elegant Inox, 2017)
- Samsung is a reliable name as far as consumer electronics is concerned. However, this 253-litre frost free refrigerator has a 2-star rating.
- The Digital Inverter technology allows the compressor to work tirelessly at varying speeds. This enhances the life of the compressor and improves the cooling as well.
- The rolling hinges on the shelves allows you to pull out the trays and slide them according to your convenience.
- The recess handle and the hidden hinges make this refrigerator look attractive.
- The twist ice-maker tray allows you to remove the ice cubes easily.
- The drawer comes with great insulation whereby it prevents the escape of moisture especially when the humidity levels are low.
- You get all-round cooling in this refrigerator.
- Capable of performing even during high voltage fluctuations, you do not need a voltage stabilizer.
- You have an onsite warranty for one year on the refrigerator with the compressor getting a 10-year warranty period.
Whirlpool 245 L Frist Free Double Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (NEO FR258 CLS/ROY plus WINE GLORIA 2S, Wine Gloria, 2017)
- This is a compact refrigerator having a capacity of 245 litres.
- An intelligent refrigerator, it works on the 6th Sense DeepFreeze Technology.
- The Fresh Flow air tower ensures that the contents of the refrigerator remain fresh for a long time.
- The vegetables and fruits remain crispier with the Vegetable Crisper technology in use.
- The toughened glass shelves do not break easily. They can bear heavy loads.
- This refrigerator can work under heavy voltage fluctuations. Hence, there is no need for a stabilizer. You have a built in stabilizer.
- You have a reciprocatory compressor that ensures low maintenance costs. However, this refrigerator has a 2-star BEE rating.
- There is a warranty of one year on the refrigerator and ten years on the compressor.
Samsung 275 L 5-Star Frost Free Refrigerator
Model Number: (RT30M3425S8/HL, Elegant Inox)
- One of the best double door refrigerators from Samsung, this 275-litre frost free refrigerator has a 5-star BEE rating.
- The digital display makes it one of the most intelligent refrigerators in town.
- The recess handle and the concealed hinges make it an attractive refrigerator.
- The twist ice maker allows you to remove the ice cubes with a single twist.
- You have a moist free zone that enables your vegetables and fruits to remain fresh for a long time.
- The Big Bottle Guard allows you to keep big bottles on the door without toppling over.
- This refrigerator comes with a 1-year warranty whereas the compressor has a 10-year warranty period.
Best Single Door Refrigerators in India
We have just seen six of the best double door refrigerators available in the market. One should also have an idea about the best single door refrigerators as well.
LG 190L Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (GL-B201APOX, purple orchid, 2017)
- LG is one of the most reputed manufacturers of best refrigerators. This single door 190-litre refrigerator is a masterpiece.
- You get unmatched performance with the smart inverter compressor. The advantage of this refrigerator is that
- you can connect it to the home inverter when you have a power cut.
- The toughened glass shelves can hold the heaviest of vessels without cracking.
- The Moist Balance Crisper technology allows the fruits and vegetables fresh for a long time.
- The anti-bacterial gasket keeps out the bacteria and ensures that the food remains hygienic.
- You need not use a stabilizer as this refrigerator can withstand heavy voltage fluctuations.
- You get a one year warranty on the product along with a 10-year warranty on the compressor.
Whirlpool 215 L Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (230 IMFRESH ROY 4S, Silver Bliss, 2017)
- One of the largest, best single door refrigerators available in the market, this Whirlpool model has a capacity of 215 litres. Hence, you can store ample quantities of food easily.
- The unique 6th Sense FreshControl technology enables you to keep the fruits and vegetables fresh for a period of seven days.
- The Micro Block technology coupled with the Moisture Control technology can prevent bacterial growth by 99.9% thus ensuring that the food remains hygienic.
- The Honey Comb moisture lock crisper cover enables the vegetables and fruits to retain their crispiness for a longer time.
- The Insulated capillary technology prevents any leakage of the refrigerant while it passes from the compressor to the freezer. This ensures the fastest cooling thereby allowing you to make ice in the fastest time possible.
The 12-hour cooling retention facility is advantageous because it does not let your ice creams or puddings melt even for 12 hours during power cuts.
- The refrigerator model comes with an extra-large freezer box thus making it apt refrigerator for storing non-vegetarian food.
- You have extra facilities like an extra shelf, a deep chiller to cool your soft drink bottles, and so on.
- The removable anti-bacterial gasket is a revolutionary feature.
- This is an eco-friendly refrigerator.
- You do not have to use the stabilizer as the refrigerator can withstand high voltage fluctuations.
Samsung 192 L Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (RR19M1712RJ-HL/RR19M2712RJ-NL, Royal Tendril Red, 2017)
- The 192-litre capacity can prove to be the optimum size for the best single door refrigerator.
- The aesthetic bar handle adds great sheen to the refrigerator’s looks. The crown design is an innovative one that exudes a great deal of charm.
- The toughened glass shelves can withstand loads up to 150 kg thereby allowing you a great deal of flexibility.
- Capable of withstanding high voltage fluctuations, you do not need a stabilizer for the refrigerator to function properly.
- You have the facility to lock the refrigerator when you are away and do not want your children to gorge on the sweets and fast food.
- This refrigerator has a 2-star rating.
- The compressor has a 4-year warranty whereas the product gets a 1-year on-site warranty.
Haier 181 L Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (HRD-1813BMS-R, Moon Silver)
- Haier is an electronics giant manufacturing some of the best quality refrigerators in the market. This one is nothing different. This refrigerator has a 3-star rating.
- The reciprocatory compressor can guarantee you huge savings in electricity consumption.
- The fridge can withstand fluctuating voltage and hence does not require the use of any external stabilizer.
- This is a 181-liter refrigerator, capable of providing the highest quality of cooling.
- You get a one year warranty on the product with the compressor meriting a 4-year warranty.
Whirlpool 190L Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator
Model Number: (WDE 205 CLS 3S WINE, Solid Wine, 2017)
- This Whirlpool refrigerator has a specialized Ice Zone whereby you can make ice quickly.
- The manufacturers have placed the milk tray right below the freezer. This ensures that the milk does not get spoilt.
- The removable gasket ensures that you prevent the entry of bacteria and fungi.
- The 190-litre capacity can ensure that you are able to store a lot of fruits and vegetables in addition to your normal food items.
- The reciprocatory compressor enables optimum performance and ensures savings in power consumption.
- The compressor has a 5-year warranty whereas the main product gets a one year warranty.
The Perfect Buying Guide for your Best Refrigerator
The main concept of refrigeration: How do you define ‘cool’? The words ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ are relative terms. The absence of ‘heat’ is ‘cool’. A fridge works on this simple principle. It absorbs the heat from the items kept inside the refrigerator thereby cooling them.
The technical aspects of refrigeration: The refrigerator works on the basis of three technical aspects, compression, condensation, and evaporation. The detail of the technical aspects of refrigeration is not required at this point in time. However, you can find the same here.
Normally, you find two distinct compartments inside the present-day refrigerator. The refrigerator compartment is the one where you find the temperature at around 3 to 5 degrees above the freezing point of water. The freezer box is the compartment where the temperature is maintained below the freezing point of water. Let us look at the different types of refrigerators available in the market. This will enable you to make a concrete decision.
Single Door Refrigerators
As the name suggests, you have only one door for the entire appliance. The freezer box is a part of the bigger compartment. This refrigerator has its individual advantages and disadvantages. The obvious advantage is the price. It is comparatively cheaper than the other types of fridges available in the market.
The disadvantage is that these refrigerators tend to accumulate frost in the freezer compartment. Hence, this necessitates defrosting the refrigerator on a frequent basis. In addition, you do not find these refrigerators having a capacity of more than 300 litres. Therefore, if you wish to go for an inexpensive and small refrigerator, the single door refrigerator should do the trick. You also call it as the ‘Direct cooling refrigerators’.
Double door refrigerator:
Obviously, you have two distinct compartments having individual doors. The freezer box is independent of the main refrigeration unit. Such refrigerators prevent the formation of frost and hence known as ‘Frost Free refrigerators’. There is a separate heating element that prevents the formation of frost.
These fridges are very popular among the people. Available in capacities over 240 litres, they can cater to various requirements. Naturally, they consume more electricity than the single door models. However, the efficiency levels are greater. Based on the location of the freezer compartment, there are two variants of the double door refrigerators
Top mount refrigerator: You find the freezer box located at the top portion with the main refrigeration unit beneath it. This is the most common type of refrigerator available.
Bottom mount refrigerator: As the name suggests, the freezer box is situated at the bottom of the unit. Studies have shown that people use the refrigeration unit more than the freezer. Hence, you have this arrangement as a user-friendly one. However, one should know that these refrigerators consume more energy than the top mount refrigerators do.
Multi door refrigerators: This is a variant of the double door refrigerator where you have more than two distinct compartments. They usually cater to the higher capacities. They consume more power but are distinctly more useful in comparison to the normal double door refrigerators.
Side by side refrigerators: These are bigger refrigerators having either two doors or even more. The biggest advantage of these refrigerators is the flexibility and availability of more space. Some of these units have a water dispensing unit as a part of the refrigerator. This ensures that you need not have to open the refrigerator to reach out for the cold water bottle. It is natural that the electricity consumption is more as compared to the other refrigerators in the list.
These are the normal types of refrigerators available in the market today. In addition, you have certain innovative technologies coming up. Let us look at a couple of such innovations.
The normal fridge to freezer ratio is around 80:20. This is because you find a lot of vegetarians in India. There are variants where the ratio is around 70:30 as well. This type of refrigerator is useful for the non-vegetarian population as they tend to use the freezer box more. Today, you have an innovative technology that allows you to convert the freezer into a fridge and vice versa depending on your usage. The main advantage of this facility is that it can increase the storage capacity of the refrigerator.
This technology is doing the rounds of the market today. It works on the simple principle of optimizing the power of the compressor unit. In the normal refrigerator, the compressor alternates between the on and off position at regular intervals. This can consume a higher amount of electricity because the compressor works at a single speed. The inverter technology allows the compressor to work consistently at different speeds and deliver the necessary output depending on the cooling load. At stable temperatures, the electricity saving is definitely more in the range of 20 to 40%.
Overcome power cuts
There is a new technology available today that enables the refrigerators to keep the contents cool and fresh even during the power cuts. These refrigerators can maintain the freshness for a period ranging from 2 to 7 hours during a power cut. Of course, the price is on the higher side.
Environmentally friendly refrigerators
The most common refrigerant in use is CFC. However, this refrigerant is not environmentally friendly. Some of the best alternatives in use are the R134a and the R600a.
- Read – Refrigerants Explained
The BEE Star rating system
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) rates the efficiency of the refrigerators based on the electricity consumption. The ratings are in the form of stars with a 5-star rating being the most efficient. However, you should note that these ratings are available for the single door and the frost free refrigerators alone. Investing in a 5-star refrigerator can be expensive initially but they are economical over a period because of the regular savings in electricity. The inverter models are also very effective.
Tips to Select the Best Refrigerator1Choose your refrigerator according to your eating habits. Vegetarians should concentrate on having more space in the fridge rather than the freezer. The 80:20 is the perfect ratio. Non-vegetarians need more space in the freezer. Hence, it is advisable if they opt for the 70:30 ratios. 2Opting for a 5-star refrigerator is beneficial in the long run. It may appear expensive initially but you end up saving a lot of money by way of savings in your power consumption. In addition, they are environmentally friendlier. 3Avoid stuffing your refrigerator with food items more than the capacity of the machine. It has a negative influence on the efficiency. At the same time, keep it empty is also not advisable. Go for the optimum size. A smaller family can do with a smaller refrigerator. Instead of using it as a status symbol, opt for better utility. 4The frost-free refrigerator is always beneficial. They can cost more and consume a bit more electricity as well. However, they make up by saving your time and labor in attending to the frost. Accumulation of frost can damage the condenser and evaporator coils thereby increasing the load on the compressor unit. 5Nowadays, you have refrigerators coming with a built-in stabilizer. It is better to go for such models especially in areas that experience frequent fluctuations in voltage.
After all, you put your hard-earned money into buying this essential machine for your house. A little bit of caution in the initial stages can save you a lot of money. This is what everyone is looking for.
We have just seen the features of the best refrigerators available in the market. Each of these refrigerators is a masterpiece. They can ensure prompt cooling and save power as well at the same time. Your hard earned money is at stake. Hence, it is advisable to make a correct choice. If you have any queries regarding the selection of best refrigerator in India, post them in the comments section below and I’ll try to answer them.