Refrigerator (fridge) is an integral part of every house today. No house is complete without this appliance standing in the corner of your dining room.
Naturally, you have to do your homework right before buying the best Refrigerator of your choice.
There are hundreds of fridge brands available in the market. Frankly speaking, these brands can confuse you a lot with their tall claims.
You need a simple guide to help you narrow down your choices. This article provides the right answers thereby enabling you to make a simple but informed choice.
Before we proceed to the Buying Guide, here is quick comparison table of the top refrigerator models
|1. Samsung RT28T3523S8|
|244L, 3 Star |
Digital Inverter Compressor
|2. Whirlpool INV CNV 278 3S|
|265L, 3 Star|
Frost-free, Double Door
|3. LG GL-T402JDS3|
|360L, 3 Star|
Frost-free, Double Door
Inverter Linear Compressor
|4. Haier HEF-25TDS|
|258L, 3 Star|
Frost-free, Double Door
Twin inverter technology
|5. Samsung RR21T2H2WCB/HL|
|198L, 5 Star|
Direct Cool, Single Door
Digital Inverter Compressor
Base Stand Drawer
Best Refrigerators in India 2021
1. Samsung 244L 3 Star Inverter Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator – RT28T3523S8
Samsung has introduced a new technology, ‘Curd Maestro,’ in its latest range of refrigerators. This feature is available in the Samsung 244L RT28T3523S8 model. It is also available in Samsung models with capacities, 265L (RT30T3A23UT), 314L (RT34A4622BX/HL), and 336L (RT37A4633S8/HL).
Here are its other exciting features.
- Frost-free, double-door with auto defrost
- 244L capacity, including a 69L freezer, ideal for small Indian families
- 3-star energy rating
- Digital Inverter Compressor
- Toughened glass shelves
- Special features include Curd Maestro
- One-year warranty on the fridge and ten years on the compressor
Set the temperature and time settings according to your requirements. For soft curds, you need around six hours, whereas thick curds need about seven hours. The temperature setting should be approximately 35 degrees Celsius. Studies show that you can save up to Rs 5,000 per year by using this facility.
The inverter compressor is an energy-saving feature because it works at different speeds, depending on the cooling you require. While lasting longer, the inverter compressor does not make much noise. The 3-star rated Samsung 244L refrigerator model consumes around 193KWhr (193 units) per annum.
This Samsung 244L model is compatible with your home inverter system. Hence, your food remains fresh even during long hours of power outage. The inbuilt stabilizer function protects the appliance from heavy voltage fluctuations.
You would love the recess handle system that blends with the double-door design beautifully. The hidden hinges make this appliance look elegant.
The toughened glass shelves can withstand heavyweights. Hence, it makes the appliance stable even when you place heavy utensils. This model provides ample space to store large bottles with 2L capacity. The Bottle Guard prevents them from toppling over if you open the door forcibly.
The freezer compartment is spacious with a capacity of 69L. You can conveniently store your ice-creams, milk, frozen food, butter, and other items. The movable ice-maker feature offers additional storage options as you can remove it if not required.
- The stainless-steel body makes this refrigerator a robust one.
- The auto defrost function ensures that there is no accumulation of ice inside the freezer compartment.
- The inverter compressor helps save power while making less noise. On average, the Samsung 244L model consumes around 16 units per month (less than half a unit a day).
- The compatibility with the home inverter system ensures that your food remains cool and fresh even during power cuts.
- The door-open alert mechanism is a helpful feature. It emits a beeping sound to alert you if you keep the door open for a long time.
- One aspect that Samsung should rectify is to provide lighting inside the freezer compartment. It is challenging to locate your food items in the dark without any lights inside them.
People who love to experiment with innovative features can choose this model, Samsung 244L RT28T3523S8/HL. Otherwise, the Samsung 275L 2-star model, RT30T3722S8/HL, is available at the same rate. The 255L 3-star RR26T389YUT/HL costs about Rs 6,000 less, but it does not come with the Curd Maestro feature.
2. Whirlpool 265L – Intellifresh INV CNV 278 3S
Samsung introduced the concept of convertible refrigerators. Other manufacturers like Whirlpool have come up with their versions of convertibility. One such model is the Whirlpool 265L Intellifresh INV CNV 278-3S. This model is available in different variants and two colors, German Steel and Black Sparkle.
- Frost-free refrigerator with 265 liters capacity
- 3-star energy rating as per 2020 BEE Rating
- Convertible freezer with 5-in-1 modes
- Adaptive Intelligence Technology
- Intellisense Inverter Technology
- Range of user-friendly features
- One-year warranty on the fridge and ten years on the compressor
The freezer compartment has a capacity of 75 liters. The convertible feature allows you to use the entire freezer as a fridge. Thus, it enhances storage space in the fridge from 184 liters to 259 liters. Besides, it saves power up to 23%.
The Intellifresh technology helps keep your vegetables and fruits fresh and crispy. The Zeolite technology prevents the fruits from ripening and keeps them fresh for extended periods.
Refrigerators have a moist environment that can encourage bacterial growth. Whirlpool refrigerators come with Microblock technology that adapts to internal conditions and prevents bacterial growth up to 99%.
The highlight of this refrigerator is its large vegetable crisper. This vegetable storage container features a Honeycomb Moisture Lock cover that does not allow the moisture from the cabinet to escape. It enables your vegetables to remain fresh for longer.
Another exciting feature of the Whirlpool model is its Intellisense Inverter Technology. The inverter compressor ensures to save considerable power. This 265L model consumes up to 190 units of power annually (about half a unit per day). The compressor can connect to your home inverter, whereby your refrigerator can work 24×7 even during power cuts.
The 6th sense Deep Freeze technology enables the cool air to flow in a circular pattern. Thus, it does not escape when you open the freezer door. As a result, your ice creams do not melt and retain their taste for long periods.
The stainless-steel body does not rust and hence, proves durable. You can conveniently store up to four 2L bottles in the top door rack and six 1L bottles on the bottom shelf. Its nearest competitor, the Samsung 275L model, RT30T3743S9/HL, has a lower capacity.
- The 5-in-1 convertible feature is its most significant benefit. Depending on your cooling requirements, you can set your freezer compartment to work as a fridge. Thus, you get more storage space, and the appliance consumes less power. You can switch over to the original settings whenever required.
- The range of technologies on offer ensures up to 15 days of garden freshness where your fruits and vegetables do not ripen or lose their moisture content. Thus, you do not observe them shrinking and losing their freshness.
- The intelligent inverter compressor changes its rotational speed depending on the cooling requirements to save power. It also makes less noise.
- The inbuilt voltage stabilizing feature enables the appliance to work on an extensive voltage range and protect the expensive components from damage due to fluctuations.
- Though the Whirlpool Intellifresh INV CNV 278 3S model is a convertible refrigerator, the Samsung 275L 3-star model, RT30T3743S9/HL, offers better features and complete convertibility. The Whirlpool models offer partial convertibility because you cannot completely shut off the fridge/freezer portion when not required.
- This 265L fridge should be ideal for small Indian families. If your requirements are more, you can try out the Whirlpool 340L INV CNV 355 3S model.
Though this Whirlpool refrigerator model offers limited convertibility, it is an excellent appliance because it features various technologies and helps maintain your food fresh for extended periods.
3. LG 360L – GL-T402JDS3 Inverter Linear Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator
LG offers its unique range of convertible refrigerators that work differently from the Samsung and Whirlpool models. The average Indian family comprising up to five members can go for the LG 360L GL-T402JDS3. Features like inverter linear compressor and door cooling make this 3-star refrigerator a desirable appliance in its niche.
Here are the exciting features available in the LG 360L model.
- Frost-free with auto defrosting system
- 360L capacity, suited for the average Indian family size of five members
- 3-star energy rating
- Inverter Linear Compressor
- Door Cooling Technology
- Convertible refrigerator
- One-year warranty on the fridge, ten years on the compressor
The 260L GL-T292RPZL is suitable for families up to three persons, while larger families can opt for the 437L LG GL-T432APZY model.
Generally, refrigerators concentrate their cooling towards the interiors while ignoring the door compartments. LG’s Door Cooling+ Technology is unique because it reduces the temperature gap between the door and the inner chambers. Besides keeping your food fresh for longer durations, this technology cools the refrigerator 35% faster than the traditional cooling systems.
The Door Cooling+ Technology gets ample support from the inverter linear compressor that ensures precise temperature control and helps reduce internal temperature fluctuations.
This compressor saves up to 51% energy compared to the model (GBB530NSQWB) with a reciprocating compressor.
The LG 360L consumes around 215 units annually.
The inverter linear compressor functions within a temperature range of + or – 0.5 degrees Celsius. While saving power, this compressor makes up to 25% less noise than conventional compressors.
This LG 360L is a convertible refrigerator with a freezer compartment storage capacity of 87L, about 25% of the total capacity. The convertible function allows you to use the entire freezer as a fridge. Thus, it enhances storage capacity considerably.
- As part of its power-saving features, this LG 360L model uses LED lights instead of conventional lighting. Besides being energy-efficient, LED lights have a longer lifespan.
- The toughened glass shelves can withstand heavy loads without any danger of breaking or spillage. The removable shelves add to your convenience as you can rearrange them depending on your storage requirements.
- Making ice in this LG 360L model is easy. Removing them is easier because of the double twist ice tray. One twist is enough to let the ice collect into the container placed below the tray.
- The pull-out tray provided in this LG 360L model is an asset because it offers more flexibility. You can pull it out to place your milk packets or ice creams without disturbing the other contents.
- Features like Door Lock, catechin deodorizer, anti-bacterial gasket, and the Open Door alarm add to your convenience levels.
- Moving the refrigerator is easy because it comes with concealed coaster wheels.
- The convertible button controls are located inside the fridge. You have to open it and remove your food items placed on the specific shelf before operating it. LG can modify the design and include these options on the door outside the fridge.
- You can remove the ice maker from the freezer if not required. However, the twin holders stay connected. It can affect the storage options. Though it is a minor disadvantage, LG can take note and improve the design.
If you compare the pricing, the 437L GL-T432APZY seems a better option as it costs a couple of thousand rupees more than the 360L model. Nevertheless, the 360L GL-T402JDS3 is a good choice because it occupies less space in comparison.
4. Haier 258L – HEF-25TDS
Haier is another reputed brand that offers convertibility. The high-end refrigerators come with 8-in-1 convertibility features, whereas the Haier 258L HEF-25TDS features 5-in-1 convertibility. You have another option available in the 320L HRB-3404BMSE available in both convertible and non-convertible modes.
- Double-door refrigerator with twin inverter technology
- 258L capacity, suited for a medium-sized Indian family
- 3-star energy rating
- PUF Insulation
- 5-in-1 convertibility option
- Uses refrigerant R600A
- One-year warranty on the product
- The compressor and fan feature a 10-year warranty.
The plus point of the Haier 258L HEF-25TDS is its twin inverter technology to save power. It ensures that both the fan motor and compressor run at DC and hence, cause fewer fluctuations. This model consumes 182 units annually, less than the comparable Samsung 244L – RT28T3523S8 (193 units).
If you are looking for power-saving technology in refrigerators, it is advisable to go for models that offer inverter compressors. Haier 258L HEF25TDS works on a twin inverter compressor system where the compressor and the fan run on DC. It reduces power fluctuations and ensures uniform power distribution.
For a 258L refrigerator, this model offers a fridge capacity of up to 190L. It is around 74%, an ideal fridge to freezer ratio. Anyway, you have the convertibility option to enhance storage space when required.
This model can make ice within 60 minutes as it comes with Turbo Icing technology. The detachable icebox helps create more storage space, primarily when you use the convertibility option.
The large vegetable box is a positive aspect because you can store more vegetables and fruits in it for extended periods. The multi-airflow design ensures to maintain optimum temperature and moisture levels inside the Fresher Box.
Another unique feature observed in this Haier 258L model is the extra-thick PUF layer compared to conventional fridges. It helps retain the low temperature efficiently for better cooling performance.
- The 5-in-1 convertibility option makes this fridge a customizable appliance. You can set the temperature levels depending on your requirements. Besides saving power, this option can help increase storage capacity.
- The 12-hour retention mode is the highlight of this refrigerator. It proves handy during an extended power cut. Activating this mode prevents your milk and other perishable items from getting spoilt due to power failure.
- The fridge to freezer ratio of 75% is one of the best available today.
- Haier does not have as many service centers as its competitors, like LG and Samsung. Besides, this refrigerator model does not offer Smart Diagnosis facilities.
Costs-wise, the Haier 258L model is comparable to its immediate competitors, the Whirlpool 265L INV CNV 278 3s and the LG 260L GL-S292RDSX. This model is ideal for small families. If your requirements are more, the 320L HRB3404BMSE should be a better option.
5. Samsung 198L – RR21T2H2WCB/HL Single Door Refrigerator
Small families who do not require large freezers can explore the Direct Cool single-door models like the Samsung 198L RR21T2H2WCB/HL. These models offer less freezer space without compromising on the fridge compartment.
A significant advantage of single-door refrigerators is that they are energy-efficient. The 5-star models cost less than Rs 20K. You have excellent options starting from 165L to 215L capacities at competitive prices.
- Direct Cool technology
- 198L capacity, perfect for small Indian families
- 5-star energy rating
- Digital Inverter Compressor
- Base Stand Drawer
- One-year warranty on the fridge, ten years on the compressor
If you look at the specifications, you find that this 198L model offers 174 liters of fridge space. In comparison, the Samsung 244L – RT28T3523S8 provides 175 liters of fridge space, despite being a double-door refrigerator. The 24L freezer capacity should prove enough for preparing ice and storing ice creams, etc.
This Samsung 198L model works on a digital inverter compressor that adjusts its speed depending on the cooling demand. Thus, your refrigerator saves power and works noiselessly.
A unique aspect of the Samsung 198L single-door refrigerator is that it can work on solar energy. It is also compatible with your home inverter system. Thus, it can keep working continuously even during power cuts.
Usually, you find single-door refrigerators featuring exposed copper tubes at the backside of the appliance. This Samsung device has aesthetic looks with a fully-covered rear. Thus, it protects the essential components from damage.
The steel body gives a robust appearance to this appliance. The sleek Garo handle adds to its glamor quotient while being convenient to use at the same time.
This appliance makes optimum use of space because it includes a base stand drawer to store potatoes and onions.
- The large vegetable storage box is a positive aspect because it enables you to store large quantities of vegetables and fruits.
- The energy-saving capacity of the Samsung 198L refrigerator should influence your decision to purchase this model. The 5-star model costs more than the 3-star or 4-star models, but they compensate by saving sufficient power over its lifetime.
- The inbuilt stabilizer protects the appliance from voltage fluctuations. It cuts off the electric power supply if the voltage fluctuates beyond the acceptable range.
- The door compartments have sufficient storage room for keeping your water and cold drink bottles. The bottle guard feature prevents the large 2L bottles from falling over when you open the fridge.
- This Samsung 198L model requires manual defrosting. If you forget to defrost the machine, there can be a buildup of ice inside the freezer compartment.
The Samsung 198L is the best single door refrigerator in India because of its energy-saving features. As it offers multiple options like home inverter system compatibility and solar power, this model proves handy for your home. Comparable products include Samsung 198L RR21T2H2XCR/HL, Whirlpool 200L 215 IMPRO ROY 35 NEO DUTCH, and the Whirlpool 215L Sapphire Abyss.
6. Haier 195L – HED-20CFDS
Four-star rated refrigerators are less expensive than their 5-star counterparts. The Haier 195L 4-star refrigerator (HED 20CDFS) costs less than the 195L HED 20FSS but comes with similar features. The 195L size should prove ideal for a medium-sized family.
The key features of the Haier 195L HED 20CFDS are as follows.
- Direct Cool refrigerator
- 195L capacity with a fridge compartment capacity of 176L
- 4-star energy rating
- Reciprocating Compressor
- PUF Insulation
- One-hour icing technology
- One-year product warranty and ten years on the compressor
The advantage of single-door refrigerators is that they offer an excellent fridge to freezer ratios. The Haier 195L, with a fridge capacity of 176L, offers as high a ratio as 90%. It is better than what the Samsung model, 198L – RR21T2H2WCB/HL, offers.
The single-door refrigerator models in the olden days worked on a rotary compressor. The continuous rotation of the motors causes its wear and tear quickly. In comparison, the reciprocating compressor in the Haier 195L model is a better option. However, the inverter compressor present in the Whirlpool 190L model WDE 205 PRM 45 INV is a better option.
This model consumes 128 units of energy annually, while the 5-star Samsung 198L RR21T2H2WCB/HL consumes 104 units. In comparison, the 2-star Samsung 192L 2-star refrigerator, RR19A241BGS/NL, consumes 203 units.
Power fluctuations are common in India. Hence, people have to invest separately in installing voltage stabilizers. The Haier 195L model features an inbuilt stabilizer to take care of extreme voltage fluctuations.
The thick PUF insulation helps in retaining the low temperatures inside the appliance to ensure efficient cooling.
- The power-saving feature is beneficial as this refrigerator consumes around ten and a half units per month.
- The use of the R600A refrigerant in this appliance makes it eco-friendly. Besides, it offers enhanced cooling performance.
- The covered back portion protects the condenser and evaporator tubes from dust and insect attacks.
- This refrigerator model does not have a base stand drawer like the Samsung 198L RR21T2H2WCB/HL model.
- Compared to the Samsung and Whirlpool appliances, the Haier has compromised a bit with the build quality.
Despite the minor drawbacks, purchasing the Haier 195L HED CFDS is a good decision. It is one of the best single door refrigerators that is priced under ₹15000. It is an ideal fridge for couples and single individuals. People facing space constraints can also opt for this refrigerator compared to the larger double-door models.
7. LG 190L – GL-D201ASCY
The LG 190L GL D201ASCY model design is similar to that of the Samsung 198L RR21T2H2WCB/HL because of the base stand drawer arrangement. This attachment saves space and allows you to store non-refrigerable food items conveniently. The Haier 195L models do not offer this feature.
- Direct Cool technology
- 190L capacity, ideal for small families
- 4-star energy efficiency
- Smart Inverter Compressor for power saving and silent performance
- Compatible with solar energy and home inverter system
- Ten-year warranty on the inverter compressor and one year on the product
This LG 190L refrigerator model can work on solar energy. This refrigerator uses your home inverter system battery for storing the power generated from solar energy. Thus, it is compatible with your home inverter system.
Compared to the Haier 195L model, the LG 190L refrigerator has less fridge space at 168L. However, it features a larger freezer box with a 22L capacity. You can benefit from using the large vegetable box with a 12.6L capacity to store adequate vegetables and fruits to last an entire week.
Vegetables remain fresh for extended durations in this refrigerator because the vegetable box comes with a Moist-N-Fresh lattice-patterned box cover to help maintain the moisture at optimum levels.
This fridge comes with five adjustable toughened glass shelves capable of withstanding massive loads up to 175Kg. The best aspect of these shelves is that you can remove them to store large vessels.
Another factor influencing your purchase decision is the inverter compressor technology used in this LG 190L model. This technology saves power and reduces noise levels considerably.
Thus, you find this 4-star model consuming around 11 units of energy a month. In comparison, the 2-star Candy 190L CDSD522190MS model consumes seventeen and a half units per month (212 units annually). However, the 2-star model is available at less than Rs 10K, about Rs 6K less than the LG 190L model.
This LG refrigerator can make ice in 108 minutes. Though it is quick, it does not match the Haier 195L model that can make ice within 60 minutes.
- The inbuilt voltage stabilizer can work in an extensive input voltage range of 90 to 310V.
- The door compartment offers excellent storage space to keep your 1L and 2L water bottles conveniently.
- The anti-bacterial gasket on the fridge door prevents the buildup of fungi and bacteria to maintain hygiene levels.
- This refrigerator does not feature a back cover. It leaves the condenser and evaporator pipes exposed to the air.
- The cooling tray placed below the freezer compartment is made of inferior plastic that makes noise when you pull for putting the milk packets.
This LG 190L model is a good choice as it saves power and can work on solar energy and your home inverter system. The inverter compressor adds to its efficiency. This refrigerator might not suffice for large families, but individuals and couples should not face any problems using this appliance.
8. Whirlpool 190L – WDE 205 CLS 3S
Whirlpool has introduced an innovative technology, Insulated Capillary Technology, to offer more efficient cooling for extended hours. This technology makes the Whirlpool 190L WDE 205 CLS an ideal choice to have in your kitchen. This 190L Whirlpool 3-star model is priced reasonably and saves sufficient power over its lifetime.
- Direct Cool Refrigerator with 190L capacity
- Insulated Capillary Technology with Laminar Airflow
- Cooling retention up to nine hours
- Fridge storage capacity up to 159L and freezer compartment 14L
- Auto Connect to home inverter
- Stabilizer-free operation
- One-year warranty on the refrigerator and ten years on the compressor
Whirlpool offers a new technology, Insulated Capillary Technology with Laminar Airflow, that ensures an efficient cooling performance. This technology constitutes insulating the capillaries carrying cool air with super-cool gas to enhance its cooling efficiency. Thus, you have the coldest freezer compartment in the industry at –26 degrees Celsius.
This innovative technology ensures better cooling retention during power cuts. The freezer retains its chill even for as long as nine hours. This technology also ensures to cool the fridge compartment uniformly. Thus, your food remains fresh for a longer duration.
While the fridge capacity is lower (159L) than that offered by LG 190L or Samsung 198L RR21T2H2WCB/HL models, this Whirlpool appliance offers a larger vegetable box. The Honey Comb Lock-In Technology maintains the optimum moisture levels and enables you to keep your vegetables and fruits fresh and crispy for long periods.
This Whirlpool refrigerator is a 3-star appliance that consumes up to 168 units per year. Compared to the 5-star Samsung 198L RR21T2H2WCB/HL model, it is more, but the difference in the pricing should prove attractive.
- Though this refrigerator requires manual defrosting, it is an easy process. However, you should ensure to press the defrosting button at regular intervals, depending on the ice formation and buildup inside the freezer compartment.
- This Whirlpool appliance features a Quick Chill Zone beneath the freezer compartment to help store your milk packets. It ensures optimum cooling and prevents the milk from getting spoilt.
- This refrigerator does not have a backside cover to protect the condenser and evaporator pipes from damage due to dust and insects. However, they allow easy heat dissipation.
This 3-star Whirlpool 190L refrigerator is a decent purchasing option for small families and those facing space issues. If you find the budget a bit on the high side, a 2-star variant is also available. However, the 3-star appliance saves money in the long run.
Best Refrigerator in India – Buying Guide
How do you define ‘cool’?
The words ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ are relative terms. The absence of ‘heat’ is ‘cool’.
A fridge works on this simple principle. It absorbs the heat from the items kept inside the refrigerator thereby cooling them.
The technical aspects of refrigeration
The refrigerator works on the basis of three technical aspects, compression, condensation, and evaporation.
The detail of the technical aspects of refrigeration is not required at this point in time. However, you can find the same here.
Normally, you find two distinct compartments inside the present-day refrigerator. The refrigerator compartment is the one where you find the temperature at around 3 to 5 degrees above the freezing point of water.
The freezer box is the compartment where the temperature is maintained below the freezing point of water.
Single Door Refrigerators
As the name suggests, you have only one door for the entire appliance. The freezer box is a part of the bigger compartment.
This refrigerator has its individual advantages and disadvantages. The obvious advantage is the price. It is comparatively cheaper than the other types of fridges available in the market.
The disadvantage is that these refrigerators tend to accumulate frost in the freezer compartment. Hence, this necessitates defrosting the refrigerator on a frequent basis.
In addition, you do not find these refrigerators having a capacity of more than 300 litres. Therefore, if you wish to go for an inexpensive and small refrigerator, the single door refrigerator should do the trick. You also call it as the ‘Direct cooling refrigerators’.
Double door refrigerator
Obviously, you have two distinct compartments having individual doors.
The freezer box is independent of the main refrigeration unit. Such refrigerators prevent the formation of frost and hence known as ‘Frost Free refrigerators’. There is a separate heating element that prevents the formation of frost.
These fridges are very popular among the people. Available in capacities over 240 litres, they can cater to various requirements. Naturally, they consume more electricity than the single door models. However, the efficiency levels are greater.
Based on the location of the freezer compartment, there are two variants of the double door refrigerators
Top mount refrigerator
You find the freezer box located at the top portion with the main refrigeration unit beneath it. This is the most common type of refrigerator available.
Bottom mount refrigerator
As the name suggests, the freezer box is situated at the bottom of the unit. Studies have shown that people use the refrigeration unit more than the freezer. Hence, you have this arrangement as a user-friendly one. However, one should know that these refrigerators consume more energy than the top mount refrigerators do.
Multi door refrigerators
This is a variant of the double door refrigerator where you have more than two distinct compartments. They usually cater to the higher capacities. They consume more power but are distinctly more useful in comparison to the normal double door refrigerators.
Side by side refrigerators
These are bigger refrigerators having either two doors or even more. The biggest advantage of Side by side refrigerators is the flexibility and availability of more space. Some of these units have a water dispensing unit as a part of the refrigerator.
This ensures that you need not have to open the refrigerator to reach out for the cold water bottle. It is natural that the electricity consumption is more as compared to the other refrigerators in the list.
These are the normal types of refrigerators available in the market today. In addition, you have certain innovative technologies coming up. Let us look at a couple of such innovations.
Environmentally friendly refrigerators
The most common refrigerant in use is CFC. However, this refrigerant is not environmentally friendly. Some of the best alternatives in use are the R134a and the R600a.
The BEE Star rating system
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) rates the efficiency of the refrigerators based on the electricity consumption. The ratings are in the form of stars with a 5-star rating being the most efficient.
However, you should note that these ratings are available for the single door and the frost-free refrigerators alone.
Investing in a 5-star refrigerator can be expensive initially but they are economical over a period because of the regular savings in electricity. The inverter models are also very effective.
Refrigerators come in various sizes and settings, depending on your requirements.
However, it would be fantastic to change the settings and use it according to your specific needs. Yes, the good news is that the convertible refrigerators allow you this facility.
Generally, you have a fridge to freezer ratio of 70:30 or even 80: 20.
At times, you might not need the freezer at all, especially in the winter months when you might not need ice.
Similarly, people with a vegetarian preference do not feel the necessity to store frozen food like fish, meat, and others. Therefore, the freezer can seem to be a waste of space.
With the convertible refrigerators, it is not so, as you can convert the freezer compartment into a regular fridge portion and enhance the overall storage capacity.
How does the convertible refrigerator accomplish both these seemingly opposite tasks?
The settings in a convertible refrigerator are such that the freezer box and the refrigeration compartment have independent cooling arrangements. It enables you to switch off either of these compartments or even interchange them, whenever necessary.
Reputed manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Whirlpool, Haier, and Hitachi offer these convertible refrigerators that come with unique functioning modes.
Everyone knows that the compressor is the most critical component of a refrigerator.
It is also one of the most durable parts of any fridge. You will find that the manufacturers offer extended warranties up to ten years on compressors.
Let us understand the functioning of a compressor
Anyone who has used a refrigerator will know that the conventional compressor switches on and off at regular intervals.
As you turn on the appliance, the compressor works at full speed to ensure cooling. Once the temperature reaches a specific pre-determined level, it switches off.
The fridge keeps on working all the time. As the temperatures begin to rise, the compressor switches on again to provide cooling. This procedure keeps oscillating throughout the lifespan of the appliance.
As the compressor works at a single speed, it consumes maximum power. Secondly, when the compressor restarts, it experiences a power surge. Thus, a standard compressor consumes a lot of electricity.
Here is how the inverter compressors can be better.
Today, the technology has improved, whereby you can save power by using compressors that work on inverter technology.
In this technology, the compressors do not switch off at all as long as there is electric supply. However, the compressor does not run at full speed all the time.
The inverter technology senses the load inside the refrigerator, the external weather conditions, and the temperature inside the appliance and adjusts the compressor’s speed accordingly.
Thus, the compressor works at lower speeds if the requirements are low. In contrast, it runs at a higher speed when there is higher demand. Therefore, the inverter technology saves power.
Secondly, the inverter compressor does not switch on and off frequently. Therefore, it does not make much noise when compared to conventional compressors.
Today, all the latest refrigerator models come with inverter compressors. Besides saving power, these compressors enhance the lifespan of the appliance considerably.
Dealing with power cuts
Power cuts and load shedding are frequent occurrences in India, especially the smaller towns and villages.
At times, these places can go for more than 10 to 12 hours without electricity. Such power cuts can pose two kinds of problems.
One is that the food can get spoilt. Secondly, there can be damage to the refrigerator because of extreme voltage fluctuations.
The modern refrigerator models like Samsung, Godrej, and Whirlpool come with a special cooling gel that is released inside the appliance in the form of cold gas. This arrangement keeps the refrigerator contents cool for extended periods.
Godrej refrigerators come with StayCool technology that can keep the freezer compartment cold, as well, during power cuts. Thus, your ice creams do not melt quickly.
Samsung offers Cool Wall technology to retail the cooling during power cuts. It also features a Cool Pack that works as a cooling gel to keep the environment cool for up to 12 hours.
Whirlpool refrigerators offer a unique technological solution in the form of insulated capillary technology. This technology surrounds the capillary with cold gas, whereby the freezer compartment attains temperatures up to -26 degrees Celsius.
Haier models come with additional features to complement the cooling gel technology. The inner edges of the appliance feature diamond-shaped edges to slow down the process of melting ice.
Today, most of the refrigerator models are compatible with the home inverter system. Thus, you can connect the fridge to the inverter and ensure that it works 24×7, even during power cuts. Therefore, your food does not get spoilt and remains fresh.
Voltage fluctuations can be hazardous to the refrigerators. In the earlier days, you used external voltage stabilisers to regulate the input voltage.
Today, almost all refrigerators come with inbuilt voltage stabilisers that can withstand voltage fluctuations in the range of 100V to 300V.
Samsung refrigerators are also compatible to work with solar energy. You can connect these appliances to solar-powered batteries to save power.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What should be the ideal temperature setting for my refrigerator?
The ideal temperature settings for your refrigerator portion should be between 1-degree Centigrade and 5 degrees Centigrade. Anything more than that can cause spoilage of your food. You also have to counter the fact that you will open and close your refrigerator frequently. The freezer compartment should have temperatures well below zero degrees.
2. Do all refrigerators come with automatic defrost options?
No, the single-door refrigerators come with a manual defrosting option. The multiple door fridges come with the automatic defrosting facility. Some of the latest single-door refrigerators do have this option. Hence, it is better to check up the specifications before purchasing your fridge.
3. Why do automatic defrosting refrigerators get heated up on the sides?
Refrigerators that come with automatic defrosting have interior coils that heat up at regular intervals to prevent the frost from building up. Therefore, you can experience the sides of these refrigerators becoming hot at times. However, it does not affect its cooling performance in any way.
Generally, you have the freezer compartment at the top of the unit. In the latest models today, you find the freezer at the bottom. People usually use the freezer less frequently when compared to the refrigerator portion. The bottom-placed freezer thus reduces the occasions you bend your back to remove vegetables and other food items. Therefore, it is a fantastic option for those with back problems. Otherwise, it is a matter of individual choice.
5. Can I run the refrigerator on my home inverter?
It depends on your home inverters capacity. If you have a high-quality inverter with a battery having substantial capacity, you can run your refrigerator on your home inverter. However, you should ensure not to overload the inverter, as it could trip the current supply.
6. Should you subject your refrigerator to annual maintenance?
Generally, refrigerators come with a sturdy compressor that can function for more than eight to ten years. If you maintain the appliance, it can serve you longer. Annual maintenance does not cause any harm to your refrigerator but enhances its lifespan. Hence, you can go for the extended warranties and AMCs that many manufacturers offer.
Final Words – Wrapping it up
We have just seen the features of the best Refrigerators available in the market. Each of these refrigerators is a masterpiece. They can ensure prompt cooling and save power as well at the same time.
Your hard-earned money is at stake. Hence, it is advisable to make the correct choice. If you have any queries regarding the selection of the best refrigerator in India, post them in the comments section below and I’ll try to answer them.