Indian food is the only one in the world where you get a variety of ‘chutneys’.
You have the coconut chutney, groundnut chutney, onion chutney, tomato chutney, and so on.
The list is a very exhaustive one. No Indian meal is complete without a combination of chutneys.
How do you prepare these chutneys?
What is the major kitchen appliance you need for preparing these chutneys?
It’s Mixer Grinder (Mixie, Grinding stone, Sumeet).
This is the age of the internet. You get everything online today. The mixie (Mixer Grinder) is not different in any way. There are e-commerce websites like Amazon where you get a great choice. Let us look at some of the best mixer grinders in India.
Table of Contents
- Best Mixer Grinders in India
- 1. Preethi Zodiac MG 218 – 750 watt Mixer Grinder with 5 jars
- 2. Panasonic MX-AC400 – 550 watt 4 jar Mixer Grinder
- 3. Philips HL 1645 – 750 watt 3 jar Mixie cum Blender jar with fruit filter
- 4. Preethi Blue Leaf Diamond 750 watt Mixer Grinder 3-piece
- 5. Philips HL 7720 750-watt Mixer Grinder with 3 jars
- 6. Philips HL 7710/00 – 600 watt Mixer Grinder
- 7. Maharaja Whiteline Mg Joy Elite (MX-166) 750 watt Mixie
- 8. Morphy Richards Superb 500-watt Mixie
- 9. Bajaj Rex 500-Watt Mixie with 3 jars
- 10. Bajaj Twister 750-watt Mixer Grinder with 3 jars
- Best Mixer Grinder – Buying guide
- Different types of mixier Grinders
- How do you choose a mixie / JMG?
- Final thoughts
Best Mixer Grinders in India
1. Preethi Zodiac MG 218 – 750 watt Mixer Grinder with 5 jars
One of the best selling mixer grinders in India today, the Preethi Zodiac MG 218 comes with a powerful 750 watt Vega 5 Motor. This makes it capable of grinding turmeric in 2 minutes. Some of the other features are listed below.
- Centrifugal juicer to prepare fruit and vegetable juices
- Super Extractor capable of extracting milk/tamarind essence
- Blender for preparing dosa milkshakes and lassi
- Multifunctional stainless steel blades
- Rotary speed controls
- Long list of accessories that includes kneader in addition to the jars and blades
- Safety features available
2. Panasonic MX-AC400 – 550 watt 4 jar Mixer Grinder
You get an international flavor with this mixie that is evident from the piano type control switches. This is a powerful multi-functional mixie having the following useful features.
- A 550-watt motor makes it ideal for the Indian kitchen
- Circuit breaker system to cater to overloads
- 4-speed selection
- 4 jars that include blender, juicer jar, mill jar and chutney jar
- Stainless steel Samurai edge blades capable of grinding meat and other hard substances
- Best Mixer grinder for Dosa Batter and Chutneys
- High-quality safety features
3. Philips HL 1645 – 750 watt 3 jar Mixie cum Blender jar with fruit filter
Philips is a reputed name in the health technology industry. Quality is never an issue when you buy Philips products. This particular mixie has the following features.
- 750-watt motor capable of catering to heavy loads
- The vertical design makes it look aesthetic
- Advanced designing eliminates unnecessary sound while operation
- Auto shut off feature in case of overloading
- Multipurpose jar for mixing, grinding and blending
- Front control knobs makes your job of operating the mixie easy
- Reverse quadra flow jars prevent sticking to the walls
- Adequate safety measures
4. Preethi Blue Leaf Diamond 750 watt Mixer Grinder 3-piece
Perfect for the Indian kitchen, the Preethi Blue Leaf Diamond mixie can grind the toughest of ingredients with ease. The notable features are listed herewith.
- An efficient appliance, this mixie saves a lot of power
- Shockproof plastic body makes it attractive
- Flexi lid allows for conversion capacity of the jar
- Stainless steel jars for higher efficiency
- Rotary front control features make it look attractive
- One of the best budget mixer grinders suitable for a small family
5. Philips HL 7720 750-watt Mixer Grinder with 3 jars
This is a multipurpose mixie with some of the most advanced safety features. The 750-watt motor makes it a powerful one. Let us look at some of the features.
- Stainless steel body makes it a durable appliance
- Auto cut-off protection in case of overloading
- 3 different jars for specific purposes
- Advanced ventilation system reduces the heat
- The open fit coupler is an additional safety feature
- Child lock facility
6. Philips HL 7710/00 – 600 watt Mixer Grinder
Similar to the product described above, the only notable difference is the capacity of the motor. The features of this mixie are as follows.
- 600-watt motor makes it apt for a small Indian family
- The open coupler attachment allows for easy cleaning
- Strong stainless steel blades
- Suitable for making excellent Dosa, Idly batter.
- 3 jars for various purposes
- Enhanced ventilation system
7. Maharaja Whiteline Mg Joy Elite (MX-166) 750 watt Mixie
A typical Indian brand, the Maharaja Whiteline series is perfect for the Indian kitchen. These are the features of this mixie.
- 4 jars of different sizes for addressing various needs
- 750-watt motor allows for higher efficiency and power
- Frontal rotary controls add to the attraction
- Good speed of 18000 rpm
- Made from high-grade plastic
8. Morphy Richards Superb 500-watt Mixie
This is an international brand adapting to Indian kitchen requirements. See some of the features listed below.
- The 500-watt motor performs the toughest jobs with ease
- 3 stainless steel blades that fit inside all the jars
- 3 jars of different sizes
- Overload protection facility available
9. Bajaj Rex 500-Watt Mixie with 3 jars
Bajaj is synonymous with reliability. This quality extends to this mixie appliance. Have a look at some of its features.
- 3-speed control with incher for momentary operation
- Multifunctional blades
- Stylish look
- 3 stainless steel jars
- Rustproof plastic body
- Frontal rotary controls
- 500-watt motor
10. Bajaj Twister 750-watt Mixer Grinder with 3 jars
This is a high quality and high-efficiency appliance. The features are exceptional. Have a look at some of them.
- 750 watt motor makes it a powerful appliance
- 30 minutes rating
- 3 stainless steel jars
- The provision of transparent domes and clips makes it a flexible appliance.
- The motor comes with a 5 year guarantee
- Overload protector available
Best Mixer Grinder – Buying guide
We have just seen the best mixer grinders in India. Now, we will have a look at the Technologies used in Mixer Grinder i.e. the buying guide.
Ask any woman born in the 1940s and 1950s, she will swear about the grinding stone.
It was the most common appliance you used to find in every kitchen. We use the word ‘used to’ because these stones have now become antique.
The woman of the 1960s and 1970s will take the name, Sumeet.
What is Sumeet?
Sumeet is the name synonymous with the mixer and grinder. This is the pioneering Indian brand of mixer and grinder. No Indian kitchen in those times was complete without this appliance.
Sumeet is the perfect example of a kitchen appliance built without conducting any sort of consumer survey or research.
It was built purely based on the engineering genius of its inventor, Satyaprakash and the user experience inputs provided by his wife, Madhuri.
Today, this brand is no longer available in the market, but still, the first name that comes to mind whenever there is a discussion on mixers and grinders is ‘Sumeet’.
Different types of mixier Grinders
The basic responsibility of the mixer is to mix various cooking ingredients, usually in a semi-liquid state. The examples are purees, vegetable pastes for making curry, and batters for cooking. Mixers are broadly of two types.
This is a hand-held appliance used to blend and mix cooking ingredients in a semi-liquid state. It has a motor and can be used with any type of bowl. You have the examples of the egg beaters and butter milk churners that fall in this category.
This is a powerful machine used to mix hard ingredients. You use the mixers for whipping up creams, kneading dough, and preparing batter.
The grinder is a comparatively stronger machine used to grind substances into a powdery form. You can use it to grind both wet and dry ingredients. The common usage is for grinding cereals, lentils, and spices. Here are two types of grinders that have specific uses.
One uses this grinder for grinding roasted coffee seeds.
This is a powerful appliance because of the heavier load it has to cater. This grinder has use for grinding different types of meat, poultry, mutton, and other non-vegetarian food.
The Mixie – (Mixer cum Grinder)
This appliance is a combination of a mixer and a grinder. You have separate jars for dry and wet grinding. The wet grinding jars are usually larger in size. Made from stainless steel, these jars come with fixed or detachable blades.
This is the most ideal companion for the Indian woman in the kitchen.
The Juicer-Mixer-Grinder (JMG)
- Check out: Best Juicers in India
As the name suggests, the JMG is a combination of the mixie and the juicer. Naturally, these are larger equipment with an additional jar for making vegetable and fruit juices. This appliance is becoming very popular today in the Indian market.
How do you choose a mixie / JMG?
There are many factors to consider while choosing the right appliance for your kitchen.
Here are some technical specifications that every household should know. You will find these specifications listed in every mixie you see. Having knowledge about the same enables you to make the right choice.
In simple words, wattage defines the power of the motor. Higher the wattage, the heavier the load it can sustain. A normal Indian kitchen mixie can work with a 550 to 600 watt motor. Anything above this figure can become noisy.
However, you can go for higher wattages if you have to grind larger quantities. In order to grind 2 kg of Urad dal batter in one go, you need a motor with a minimum wattage of 750 watts.
RPM is the abbreviated form of ‘Rotations per minute’. Higher the RPM, more powerful is the motor. This reduces the time required for processing the ingredients. There is a disadvantage to having a higher RPM.
Your appliance can heat up and become noisy. Usually, you have blades rotating at a speed of 15000 rpm.
This factor is the continuous operating time recommended for any mixie. In the normal circumstances, it is 30 minutes – with a running time of 5 minutes and cooling period of 3 minutes. Adhering to this ratio ensures that your motor serves you well.
In case you run the appliance continuously for more time, it can heat up the motor and cause internal damage.
Brand / Service provided
Why do you think Sumeet ruled the Indian market for a long time?
This is because of the brand reputation and the service they provided to the consumers. You have many brands available in the market.
It is better to do your own local research before buying your product. We use the word ‘local research’ because the service provided in Delhi might differ from that provided in Mumbai or for that matter, any of the smaller towns in India.
Availability of spare parts and prompt servicing by the service engineers are some aspects to consider.
The rubber gaskets are the one that wears out frequently. The availability of replacement blades is also important.
Power is important while choosing a mixie for your kitchen. At the same time, a slim/sleek design should also be foremost on your mind.
You have the tower design or the L-shaped design that is popular today. The tower design has its merits in the fact that it is easy to clean.
This appliance comes in touch with water on a frequent basis. Therefore, safety is a matter of concern. Check out for aspects like earthing, power cables, and so on.
Ensure that the mixie has a strong and balanced base to avoid unnecessary accidents.
The mixie should have a locking system whereby the machine will not start unless you fit the jar properly. The modern mixies have them. Indian mixies have rotary switches whereas piano switches are the international preference.
Overloading protection feature
It is possible that you might misjudge the capacity of the mixie. This can result in overloading. The ideal mixie should be one that has an overloading protection feature like a circuit breaker to stop the appliance immediately.
You can remove some of the load and reset the switch. The absence of such a safety factor can cause early burnout of the motor.
Check out the quality of accessories
You have a lot of accessories that come with a mixie like the jars, blades, lids, and so on. The quality of the accessories is important. Opting for a reputed brand is advisable as they do not compromise on the quality aspect.
You have just seen the features of the best mixie brands available in India. Let us now end the article with some tips on how to use the mixie efficiently.
- Avoid using hot ingredients as you can damage the jar walls
- Ensure to add sufficient water while making Idly, Dosa Batters and purees
- It is important to have proper earthing systems in place to avoid unnecessary accidents
- Allow air inside the jar to escape before operating the mixie
This guide should prove useful to you when you wish to purchase the Best Mixer Grinder for your home. Husbands should note that without the mixie, they might not get their food. Hence, you see many houses having a spare mixie in place in case one develops an issue.
Shiva Kumar is a 25-year-old Blogger from India. He is a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert. Constantly funny – Randomly Serious!