A good night’s rest provides the most blissful experience in this world. You deserve it after a hard day at work (either at the office or home).
Now, a lot depends on the mattresses you use. The last thing you would like to have is a backache when you wake up in the morning.
The best mattress is that which allows you to get up in the morning feeling rejuvenated to take up the challenges of the day.
How do you choose the best mattress in India? It is not as easy as you think because you have to keep many things in your mind before you decide the right mattress for your home. This buying guide should make your task easy.
Table of Contents
- Best Mattress in India
- 1. Emma Original -- Memory Foam Mattress
- 2. Wake-Fit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress
- 3. Dreamzee Orthocare Memory Foam Eurotop Mattress
- 4. SleepyCat – Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 5. Sleepyhead 6-inch Queen Size Memory Foam mattress
- 6. Wake-Fit Dual Comfort Mattress – Hard & Soft
- 7. Urban Ladder DreamLite Eurotop Bonnel Spring Mattress
- 8. Kurl-On Dream Sleep 6-Inch Queen Size Spring Mattress
- 9. Nilkamal Value+ 4-inch Single Size Foam Mattress
- 10. Coirfit Beetle 4-Inch Single Size Coir Mattress
- 11. Foams India Brands Natural Latex Portable Mattress
- Best Mattress -- Buying Guide
- Size of the mattress
- Types of mattresses available in India
- What type of a sleeper are you?
- Common Myths about Mattresses
- Features of Mattresses
- How do you clean or maintain a mattress?
- Essential Considerations while purchasing mattresses online
Best Mattress in India
1. Emma Original -- Memory Foam Mattress
The Emma Original has already conquered the mattress-in-a-box market in Europe and has won over 35 “Best Mattress” awards along the way.
And now Europe’s best mattress brand has finally made its first foray into the Indian market and already, for our money, it is the best mattress you can buy in India.
- It provides perfect body alignment and support, thanks to its patented HRX foam and Visco -Elastic memory foam layers, hence it also helps in alleviating a variety of body aches and pains.
- Its trademarked “Airgocell” open cell technology facilitates perfect temperature control and breathability, making it the only memory foam mattress that can stand up to the scorching Indian summer heat.
- The Emma Original is made from 100% vegan, organic, non-harmful materials, which makes it the eco-friendliest memory foam mattress you can currently buy in India.
- It’s uncanny ability to negate motion transfer means your sleep can never be interrupted by the movements of the person sleeping next to you.
- It is the only mattress in India that comes with a true industry-first, groundbreaking 20 Year Warranty.
2. Wake-Fit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress
One of the top companies manufacturing orthopaedic mattresses in India, Wake-Fit mattresses come with a 10-year manufacturer warranty.
As the makers use high quality memory foam, these mattresses provide excellent support to your back and enable you to enjoy a restful, deep sleep.
- The mattress has a medium firm feel. Hence, it is one of the best orthopaedic memory foam mattresses available in India.
- The premium quality quilted cotton fabric cover not only provides adequate protection to the mattress but also enhances its appearance.
- The high-density foam used in the manufacturing of this mattress makes this one of the most sought-after mattresses in town.
- You get excellent back and neck support as you use the mattress. It ensures you get a peaceful and restful sleep.
- This mattress comes with a 10-year warranty, one of the longest in the Indian market.
3. Dreamzee Orthocare Memory Foam Eurotop Mattress
The Dreamzee Orthocare Memory Foam Eurotop mattress is one of the most comfortable mattresses available in India. This mattress comes with additional support at the edges to prevent it from sagging at the corners.
It is a large mattress by traditional Indian standards. It justifies its reputation as the best queen mattress in India.
- This mattress comes with excellent support features to help maintain body posture.
- The memory foam in use is a heat-sensitive material that makes it apt for taking perfect care of the spine.
- Developed by NASA, the 2-inch Visco memory foam gives you a cradle-like experience.
- The machine-made Eurotop finish to the mattress is evident in the Premium imported quilted cover.
- You get a 5-year manufacturer warranty with this mattress.
4. SleepyCat – Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The SleepyCat Gel Memory Foam mattress comes with cooling crystals to regulate your body temperature throughout the night.
This mattress also provides ample back support by adjusting to the contours of the body thereby ensuring a good night’s sleep.
- The therapeutic layer in the gel memory foam helps distribute your body weight evenly and keeps you cool throughout the night.
- The high-density foam support layer adds strength, durability, and structure to the mattress.
- The breezy inner cover helps to maintain the foam inside while providing unique airflow throughout your mattress.
- The ultra-premium outer cover is made of high GSM knitted fabric for added comfort and flexibility. The hand-crafted cover is easily removable for spot cleaning.
- This mattress is India’s first mattress in a box. You do not have to pay any additional amount for delivery.
- This Company has a social side to it as well because they donate one mattress for every ten they sell.
- These qualities make it one of the best foam mattresses in India.
5. Sleepyhead 6-inch Queen Size Memory Foam mattress
The Sleepyhead foam mattress is the perfect one having layers of memory foam and springy breathable foam. The Queen sized memory foam mattress is the ideal one for an Indian bed. You get the right amount of firmness and bounce needed for a restful night.
- Buying it online can reduce the cost by almost 60%.
- You get free delivery in a delightful box. All you have to do is to unpack it like a blanket.
- The 100-day free trial is one of the best facilities you ever get.
- This mattress provides the maximum firmness to support almost all body types.
- The bounce is also perfect that does not disturb your partner when you toss around in bed.
- The three substantial foam layers provide the right density levels.
- This mattress comes with a washable outer cover to enable you to keep the mattress dust-free.
6. Wake-Fit Dual Comfort Mattress – Hard & Soft
You can use this dual comfort mattress from both the sides. One side is a firm mattress while the reverse side is a soft one. Therefore, you can use this dual comfort mattress according to your requirements and changing weather conditions.
- Use the firmer side during the winter months whereas the medium-soft side comes handy in the other seasons.
- The high-density foam used in the mattress is of the best quality.
- You get this product directly from the factory
- A high-quality mattress cover made from premium quality quilted cotton fabric comes along with this mattress.
- The 5-year manufacturer warranty takes care of all manufacturing defects.
7. Urban Ladder DreamLite Eurotop Bonnel Spring Mattress
The innerspring technology used in this mattress provides excellent back support. With the unique top foam quilting made for ensuring softness, this mattress does not compromise on the comfort factor any time.
- The Bonnel spring construction ensures that the mattress is light. It also enhances air flow.
- The anti-corrosive springs guaranteed a longer lifespan for the mattress.
- This mattress has a top layer of super soft foam that ensures enhanced comfort. You do not toss or turn around in your bed.
- The reinforced spring support and foam casing prevents sagging and rolling off the edges.
- This mattress has earned a reputation for being the best mattress for spine pain.
- The 5-year manufacturer warranty is an additional welcome feature.
8. Kurl-On Dream Sleep 6-Inch Queen Size Spring Mattress
Kurl-On is India’s largest selling mattress since 1962. The 6-inch Queen sized spring mattress comes in many colours. They provide optimum support to the spine and the back.
This mattress is a perfect blend of firmness and softness making it one of the best double bed mattresses available in India.
- The high-tensile Bonnel springs are strong enough to bear heavy loads.
- The springs have an encasing of Thermo bond that prevents from rupturing the layers of the mattress.
- The mattress comes with thick PU foam that maximizes the sleeping surface and ensures a comfortable sleep.
- The Kurlopedic technology allows the mattress to provide for perfect alignment of the spine by conforming to the different shapes of the human body.
- It also ensures to discourage the presence of microbes, dust mites, and bed bugs.
- You have a 5-year warranty with a 1-year free replacement clause.
9. Nilkamal Value+ 4-inch Single Size Foam Mattress
Nilkamal mattresses are a result of thorough research and survey of sleeping habits of Indians and the weather conditions prevailing in India.
This company is the first one to use the Height and Weight Chart to help users select the most recommended firmness. These mattresses are available in all four firmness ranges.
- The Intelligent Sleep Technology ensures that you get the highest degree of comfort when you use Nilkamal Single Size Foam mattress
- The company uses Evlon/Lux Foam for the manufacture of these mattresses.
- This mattress comes with a 2-year warranty.
- It is a multi-layered mattress.
10. Coirfit Beetle 4-Inch Single Size Coir Mattress
Coir mattresses are renowned for their firmness. However, this coir mattress has the right combination of PU foam and active bond material. The ergonomic design of this mattress gives it the right weight balance.
- The primary material in use is coir. Hence, you can call this an eco-friendly mattress.
- The mattress comes with the perfect combination of PU foam and active bond material.
- The springy feel of this mattress helps maintain proper blood circulation.
- The bounce back mattress protector is an exciting feature of this mattress.
- Made of cotton fabric, the outer portion of the mattress is durable.
- This mattress comes with a 1-year warranty.
- It is a sizeable single-bed mattress.
11. Foams India Brands Natural Latex Portable Mattress
Latex mattresses are eco-friendly mattresses to the core. This portable mattress is a single-size mattress that provides a high degree of comfort. The advantage of this product is that you can use them over various surfaces. This mattress is a highly versatile one.
- This mattress provides excellent comfort as it has all the qualities of a memory foam mattress.
- The anti-microbial feature ensures that this mattress remains fresh at all times.
- You can roll this portable mattress and store it anywhere. Therefore, it occupies less space.
- It comes with a washable protector made from natural rubber. Hence, it is healthy to use.
- This mattress is available in a range of colours and designs to suit the individual tastes of the customers.
- The high-quality zipper works well at different temperatures.
Best Mattress -- Buying Guide
What should you look for when you buy a mattress?
You have to consider various aspects such as size, thickness, durability, conforming ability, providing support, motion isolation, and many more. We shall look at each of these aspects in detail.
Size of the mattress
The size of the mattresses in India is different from that in other countries, like the US. You should ensure that it should be in sync with the size of your bed.
However, you have standard sizes of mattresses like Single, Twin, Twin XL, Full or Double, King, Queen, California King, and so on. Not all these sizes are available in India. In India, you usually get the following sizes.
The single size mattresses are fit for single cots. They usually come in sizes (72 X 36) to (75 X 36) inches. It is a large mattress for a child, but a heavy adult could feel cramped.
These mattresses are not exactly double the size of the single size mattresses, but are comfortable enough for a heavy adult. It is an ideal size for two medium-sized adults. Usually, you get them in size range of (72 X 48) to (75 X 60) inches.
The Queen Size mattress is bigger than the double size mattress as two large adults can comfortably sleep on them. However, it can become cramped if you have a child. These mattresses come in the size range (72 X 60) to (78 X 60) inches.
The King size mattress is the perfect one for a couple with a child. They are very comfortable as they are double the size of the single size mattresses. You get them in the size range (72 X 72) to (78 X 72) inches.
Note that these are the standard sizes available on the market. You can always have a made-to-order mattress depending on the size of your bed.
Types of mattresses available in India
In India, you usually find the following types of mattresses.
- Coir mattress
- Spring mattress
- Foam mattress
- Memory Foam Mattress
- Latex mattress
- Re-bonded Foam mattress
- Airbed mattress
Let us look at all these different types of mattresses in brief.
1. Coir mattress
The coir mattress is an Indian innovation. Such types of mattresses are available in India alone. You use coconut coir for making these coir mattresses. Yes, they are the most eco-friendly of all the mattresses available on the market.
These mattresses are firm and hence can be uncomfortable as compared to the foam mattresses. However, they are economical.
The coir mattresses have a disadvantage that they tend to sag soon. As it continues to bear your weight over a period, the coir gets pressed. As coir does not have elasticity, the mattresses do not spring back to shape.
Hence, they do not last as long as the other mattresses do. The average lifespan of a coir mattress should be around five to five and a half years.
However, they are firm mattresses that do not exhibit motion transfer. Therefore, it does not disturb you if your partner has a habit of moving around in bed during sleep.
2. Spring Mattress
The spring mattress is a better version of the coir mattress. The presence of the springs makes it a bouncy mattress. Hence, you expect the mattress to exhibit motion transfer whenever your partner moves around in bed.
Many brands have started adding upper foam layers for better comfort to offset the motion transfer. Spring mattresses are also known as coil mattresses in many places.
The spring mattresses have a lifespan of around six years. It depends on how you use them. It is better to have a mattress topper over the spring mattress. Over a period, the spring can cut through the mattress and expose itself. A mattress topper can enhance the lifespan of a spring mattress.
The foam mattress is the most popular one in India. You have foam inside the cushions instead of coir. They are soft and hence feel very comfortable. The foam mattresses tend to sag towards the ends.
Therefore, you have many brands adding additional layers of support to prevent the sagging.
A foam mattress is the best mattress for back pain. There are other advantages of foam mattresses in the sense that they do not exhibit motion transfer and have a long life sometimes extending over seven to eight years.
3. Memory Foam Mattress
These are also foam mattresses but with a difference. Memory foam mattresses are an innovation.
They have an open cell structure that enables the mattress to retain the pressure and remember it even after you come out of the bed. As the mattress remembers the pressure points, it has the name, ‘memory foam mattress.’
The memory foam mattress can give support to both side sleepers and stomach sleepers. Hence, you can also refer to these mattresses as the best mattress for side sleepers.
4. Latex Mattress
The latex mattresses have latex instead of foam. In the ordinary course, you get latex from natural sources such as rubber trees. There are ways to produce latex synthetically. You get such latex in the latex hybrid mattresses.
In addition to latex, such mattresses contain poly-foams and other materials. The latex beds come in a variety of firmness levels to suit a wide range of sleepers.
The advantages of the latex beds are temperature regulation, natural bounciness, and ability to conform to the contours of the body. Hence, you get relief from back and shoulder pain. Heavyweight sleepers benefit from the use of latex beds as these mattresses are denser and denser than the standard mattresses.
The latex foam comes in two varieties, the Dunlop latex, and the Talalay latex. The Dunlop latex, being bottom heavy, is used in support cores whereas the Talalay latex is a homogenous mixture of light, frothy foam. These latex mattresses last for periods exceeding eight years.
5. Re-bonded Foam mattress
Re-bonded foam is reclaimed foam and scrap foam that are glued together under pressure. It is the perfect alternative to the coir mattresses. However, they are better than the coir mattresses because of their compressibility, cushioning advantage, and energy absorption.
The process involves shredding the leftovers of various types of foam and binding them together using a specific adhesive. It is an excellent way to cut costs.
6. Airbed mattress
Airbed mattresses have recently become popular. These are inflatable beds that people usually use for guest accommodation. You can fold these beds and store them in your cupboard. They are light and comfortable to use.
Hence, you see people using these beds as camping beds.
Usually made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), you can also find airbeds made from urethane plastic or rubber.
As you can adjust the air inside the mattress to accommodate different body shapes and sizes, these mattresses have health benefits. It is beneficial to bedridden people as it protects them from bed sores. You can also use it as a water toy. It helps you recline on the water surface.
What type of a sleeper are you?
The choice of the mattress depends on the way you sleep. Let us see how your style of sleeping affects your decision to buy the right mattress.
Not all people sleep in the same way. Some prefer to sleep on their sides whereas some prefer to sleep on either their backs or stomach.
Pregnant women necessarily have to sleep in a specific manner. Similarly, heavy persons have a unique posture while sleeping. Each of these styles influences your decision in buying the right mattress.
Side sleepers should opt for a mattress that is soft to medium firm. A soft mattress can help to relieve the pressure from the neck and the back area. It also helps to adjust to the contours of your body.
When you sleep on your sides, you need a proper alignment of your spine, neck, and back. The mattress should support your body in full measure.
Using a pillow between your legs can help you prevent pelvic rotation.
The side sleepers should avoid the water and spring mattresses. The spring mattresses tend to push the most massive parts of the body and provide less support to the lumbar region whereas the waterbeds do not distribute the weight of the body evenly on the mattress.
Usually, the mid-section of your body carries a lot of pressure during the day. As you sleep on your stomach, the area accumulates more pressure. Hence, you should ensure to have a mattress that provides proper support to avoid getting up with a backache.
The mattress should have ideal firmness because there are fewer gaps between the body and the mattress when you sleep on your stomach. Some stomach sleepers prefer to have softer mattresses. Under such circumstances, they can go for the advanced foam mattresses.
Stomach sleepers should opt for thin pillows that help to cradle the head. The body, neck, and head are in the same alignment. Hence, you do not need much of elevation.
Sleeping position during pregnancy
The ideal sleeping position for a pregnant woman is the left side. You also call it the SOS position (sleeping on the side). Sleeping on the left side helps in improving the circulation of blood. It also prevents the increasing body weight to push too hard on the liver.
The two sleeping positions pregnant women should avoid are lying on the back and the stomach.
The pregnant women should avoid sleeping on firmer mattresses as well as the incredibly soft ones. The foam mattress or the memory foam mattresses are the right mattresses for the pregnant ladies.
They should use a thick pillow to prevent getting up with a painful neck condition. Pregnant women should also use a pillow on the sides to place the feet if necessary.
Further Reading: americanpregnancy.org
The ideal mattress for couples
If you a single individual in the house, you can choose the mattress that suits your sleeping style. However, it is not the same as for couples. Your partner’s interests are also crucial in making the right decision.
Motion transfer is a significant issue amongst most couples. As one partner changes positions during the night, motion transfer affects the other partner as well. Therefore, you should opt for mattresses that dissipate movement across its surface thereby eliminating motion transfer. It is not possible in the spring mattresses.
The size of the mattress is a vital factor. It is advisable to go for a King-sized mattress as it offers a lot of space to roll around. If you have a small room, you can opt for a Queen-sized mattress.
Mattress for kids
Kids, unlike adults, are continuously growing. Hence, you should have different cushions for them. A wrong type of mattress can make the next day miserable for us. The same logic applies to children. Their body contours are regularly changing as well.
The size of the child’s mattress is critical. Mattresses last for six to seven years. A child can overgrow in seven years.
Spring mattresses are good, but children might start bouncing on them thereby increasing the chances of the spring tearing through the cover and causing unnecessary injuries.
Mattress for heavy people
Heavy people are those weighing more than 75 kg. Such people should opt for thick cushions. Usually, you find people choosing mattresses between 8 inches and 10 inches as optimum thickness.
If you are a heavy individual, you should select a mattress having a thickness in the range of 10 to 12 inches. It is because heavy people create more pressure as compared to light individuals.
Heavy people tend to emit more heat from the body. Therefore, the mattress should be a breathable one. The foam mattresses accumulate more heat as compared to the spring mattresses because there is not enough air circulation in the foam mattress.
Go for durability when you have a massive individual in the house. The latex mattress is the best mattress for heavy people.
Mattress for back pain
It does not matter whether you are a homemaker, a student, or a CEO of a multinational company. A bad mattress can ruin your day. Having a backache is one of the most annoying things in life.
Sleeping on the wrong type of mattress can give you backaches and other discomforts like shoulder pain, and neck pain. Here are the signs that should help you decide if your mattress needs a replacement.
Common Myths about Mattresses
The bed is the most common piece of furniture you use every day. Hence, buying a mattress is a challenging process. By now, we have looked into various aspects of cushions to make your task an easy one.
However, certain myths about mattresses remain that require debunking. We shall look into some of these myths for your benefit.
Features of Mattresses
When you venture to purchase a mattress, you will find many terms to describe the features of the mattresses. Let us devote this section of the buyer’s guide to make things easy for you.
As the name suggests, you can use these mattresses in both ways. Usually, you find that one side is comparatively harder than the other. Therefore, you have the best of both types of mattresses, firm, and soft. If you have a specific use for such mattresses, it becomes an essential purchase.
The edges of the mattresses are the places where you see the earliest wear and tear. Hence, the modern-day mattresses come with reinforced corners. You have double stitches and additional padding at the sides to ensure that there is no sagging at the edges.
Do not confuse it with an in-built pillow. There is an additional layer of cushioning at the top of mattress that gives it a pillow-like feeling. The advantage of such a mattress is that you need only one pillow when you sleep on your sides. However, this is a standard mattress with additional cushioning. Hence, it should not cost you more.
Dust allergies are prevalent in mattresses. There can be millions of dust mites in a mattress. They can cause various types of allergies. The surface of the hypoallergenic mattresses is such that it does not allow accumulation of dust mites. Hence, such mattresses are suitable for asthma patients.
How do you clean or maintain a mattress?
Having a great looking mattress is an excellent feeling. However, you have to take pains to keep the mattress clean from the dirt and dust mites. The dust mites, the moulds, the stains, and allergens can be dangerous for asthma patients as well as children. T
herefore, it becomes crucial to clean your mattress regularly.
Know what is in your mattress
We have heard about dust mites, dirt, and moulds being present on your mattresses. In addition to these pollutants, you have sweat, grime, oil, blood, chemicals from deodorants, and even pollen. Many people allow animals to sleep with them on their beds. Under such circumstances, you have animal dander as well.
How do you clean the mess?
Before you start cleaning the mattress, strip the bed entirely and wash your linens. Clean the mattress pads first before proceeding to the sheets and finally your bed sheets. Use hot water for cleaning the linens as well as the mattress as it can help in killing the dust mites.
Vacuum clean it
The vacuum cleaning machine is the best tool for cleaning mattresses. Start from the top and work your way down. Similarly, vacuum the sides of the mattress by using different brushes.
Deodorize with disinfectants
Baking soda is an excellent disinfectant to use under the circumstances. It is the best disinfectant to get rid of bodily smells. Sprinkle baking soda and rub it with a scrub brush. Ensure that it gets into the mattress fabric. Allow it to sit for about ten minutes before you proceed to the next step.
Continue with the vacuuming
Once you apply the baking soda to the stains in the mattress fabric and allow it to bind with the oils and moisture, it becomes easy to remove the dirt by vacuuming it again. It will help eliminate the humidity along with the cause of the odours.
Treat the stains differently
Body fluid stains can be stubborn to remove. It can consist of blood, urine, sweat, and other body fluids. It is easy to remove stains when they are fresh. However, you can remove them even after they have settled deep into the fabric.
Other body fluids like vomit
Vomit stains require a different treatment. Open the windows and doors before starting this process. Take a white rag and blot the stain with undiluted ammonia. Ensure not to drench the mattress with the chemical. Wipe out the area with a clean, damp cloth.
Sprinkle baking soda to neutralize the ammonia odour and remove any persistent moisture. Allow the mattress to dry before using the vacuum cleaner.
Flip the mattress and repeat the process
You can flip the spring and the coir mattresses every month for the first three months and quarterly after that. You can also flip over the pillow-top mattresses in the same manner. Ensure to clean both the sides of the mattress.
Protect your mattress
Your mattress is an expensive item. Protect it by using a washable mattress cover. Having a waterproof cover can prevent the liquids and dead skin from touching the mattress.
Essential Considerations while purchasing mattresses online
Can you buy mattresses online? Yes, you can. However, you should consider the following points while doing so.
We have now seen an exhaustive mattress buying guide followed by a review of 10 of the best mattresses in India.
An excellent mattress is one that provides high-quality comfort. Mattresses are critical for the overall health of your spine. Sleeping on a good mattress can help you develop a good posture thereby increasing your confidence levels.
We trust this mattress guide proves helpful to you to choose the right mattress for your home.