One of the fanciest items you will ever find in any kitchen is the kitchen knife. Yes, one has to agree that it has tremendous utility.
However, if it is so useful, why do you call it a fancy item? It is because the kitchen knives are among the most recent appliances to enter the Indian kitchen.
Does it imply that the Indian homemaker did not use kitchen knives for cutting vegetables and fruits?
Using an Aruvamanai requires a lot of skill. One wrong move and you could have blood on your hands. The kitchen knife is comparatively a safer instrument than the Aruvamanai.
Table of Contents
- Top kitchen knives available in India
- 1. Amazon Basics Premium Stainless Steel Knife Set with Block
- 2. Victorinox Swiss Classic Paring Knife Set
- 3. Victorinox Classic Round Tip Wavy Tomato Knife
- 4. Amazon Brand – Solimo Premium High – Carbon Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife Set
- 5. Pigeon Stainless Steel Kitchen Knives Set
- 6. Prestige Tru-Edge Kitchen Knife set with wooden block and free peeler
- 7. Cartini Godrej Essential Kitchen Cleaver
- 8. Amazon Brand – Solimo Premium High-Carbon Stainless Steel Santoku Knife
- 9. Godrej Cartini Chef Knife
- 10. Victorinox Swiss Classic Chef’s Knife
- 11. Amazon Brand – Solimo Premium Stainless Steel Chef’s Knife, Silver
- Buying Guide – Types of Kitchen Knives
- Factors to consider
- Tips to choose the best knife
Top kitchen knives available in India
Here are the best knife sets brands in India.
1. Amazon Basics Premium Stainless Steel Knife Set with Block
The 9-piece set includes an 8-inch Chef’s knife, 7-inch Santoku, 8-inch slicing knife, 8-inch bread knife, 6-inch boning, 5-inch utility, 3.5-inch paring knife, 8-inch sharpener, and a wood block. These knives, made of stainless steel have great balance and control. The ergonomic handles are comfortable to hold.
2. Victorinox Swiss Classic Paring Knife Set
These 3 paring knives are the perfect ones to cut steak as well as vegetables. They have undergone laser testing to enhance the sharpness of their edges. The longest knife is 27.6 cm long making it perfect to cut large pieces. The smaller blades are serrated ones capable of chopping onions, tomatoes, and other vegetables easily.
3. Victorinox Classic Round Tip Wavy Tomato Knife
The blade length of 22.2 cm makes this Victorinox knife as an ideal knife for cutting tomatoes and onions. It comes with an ergonomic handle thereby making it comfortable to hold and use. The steam sterilised blade makes it one of the safest kitchen knives to use.
4. Amazon Brand – Solimo Premium High – Carbon Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife Set
This set comprises of an 8-inch Chef’s knife, 5-inch utility knife, and 3.5-inch paring knife made of high-carbon stainless steel. The three-rivet handles ensure a high degree of stability and provides excellent grip. It is an ideal knife set for chefs and homemakers alike.
5. Pigeon Stainless Steel Kitchen Knives Set
These knives made of stainless steel are of high quality. The contoured handles offer a soft and comfortable grip. The hollow ground edges are perfect for scraping coconut. The pack comprises of a 3.5-inch paring knife, 5-inch utility knife, and an 8-inch Chef’s knife.
6. Prestige Tru-Edge Kitchen Knife set with wooden block and free peeler
You get a chef’s knife, a cook’s knife, a paring knife, a vegetable knife, and a utility knife in this 5-piece kitchen knife set. Also, you get a free peeler along with a wooden block. The tempered steel blades are strong, sharp, and durable. The ergonomic handles provide an excellent grip.
7. Cartini Godrej Essential Kitchen Cleaver
This cleaver knife is ideal for cutting non-vegetarian food like meat and fish. People use it for chopping onions and garlic as well. The stainless steel blade makes it a durable knife. The knife has a comfortable grip as it is heavy and sturdy.
8. Amazon Brand – Solimo Premium High-Carbon Stainless Steel Santoku Knife
The Santoku knife is a perfect alternative for the chef’s knife. The high-carbon stainless steel blades are sharp enough to chop meat and vegetables alike. The triple riveted handles ensure a stable, comfortable, and secure grip.
9. Godrej Cartini Chef Knife
This chef’s knife is well suited for professional use. However, you can also have it at home to chop and mince your meat. This knife is a forged knife and hence is a strong one. The stainless steel blades are rust-free. The ergonomic handles make it most comfortable to hold and thus, the best knife set for chefs.
10. Victorinox Swiss Classic Chef’s Knife
This Swiss-made knife is the favourite of chefs all around the world. The ergonomic handles allow for comfortable gripping as they are slip-resistant. This knife is safe for use in the dishwasher.
11. Amazon Brand – Solimo Premium Stainless Steel Chef’s Knife, Silver
The Solimo Stainless steel chef knives are ideal for slicing, mincing, and chopping vegetables and meat. The high-carbon stainless steel edges make it a sharp and sturdy knife. The triple riveted handle provides the perfect grip.
Buying Guide – Types of Kitchen Knives
The kitchen knife is not a one-size-fits-all kind of an instrument. You need different knives for specific purposes. For example, the knife you use to cut fruits is of no use when you have to cut through the meat.
Similarly, a knife used for cutting fishes and meat can prove too big for slicing bread. Therefore the first step to buying kitchen knives is to understand the different types of knives available, and which are the ones most suited for your kitchen activity.
Here are some of the most commonly used kitchen knives.
Factors to consider
The situation demands that every kitchen should have a set of knives to help you in preparing food for the family. We have seen the different types of knives and their uses. You should consider these factors as well while purchasing kitchen knives.
Among all the knives we have discussed here, the chef’s knife and the Santoku knife are the ones that are expensive. However, these knives are worth the cost because they have a variety of uses. The other knives do not cost much. You should have a nice mix of these knives at home.
Construction of the knives
There are two ways of making knives, forged, and stamped.
Forged Knives – This method involves applying extreme heat to a piece of steel. As it melts, the knife manufacturers mould it into the desired shape. Once cooled, they become high-quality knives with a strong blade. These knives are less prone to bending. They cost more than the stamped knives.
Stamped Knives – These are machine-made knives. They sharpen the edge of the knife after the formation of the blade. Such knives have a uniform thickness. They do not compete on an even level with the forged knives, but they are effective.
Try cutting vegetables and fruits with a blunt knife, and you will understand the importance of maintaining its sharpness. Cutting with a blunt knife can put additional pressure on your wrists. Have a knife sharpener handy at home to sharpen the knives to ensure it lasts long.
Tips to choose the best knife
Understand some common terms in connection with kitchen knives. They can come handy when you purchase these knives.
Kitchen knives are critical appliances. Every house needs a couple of knives on hand. As the days of the Aruvamanai have gone, people are switching over to knives for cutting vegetables, fruits, scraping coconuts, and even for mincing non-vegetarian food like meat and fish. This buying guide will help you procure the best knife set for Indian cooking.
- 9 Best Washing Machines in India 2019 – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews!
- Best Rice Cooker in India 2019 – Buying Guide!
- 10 Best Gas Stoves in India | 2, 3, 4 Burner (2019)
- 10 Best Mixer Grinders in India 2019 (Mixie) – Buying Guide & Reviews!
- 7 Best Kitchen Chimneys in India (2019) – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews
Shiva Kumar is a 25-year-old Blogger from India. He is a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert. Constantly funny – Randomly Serious!