There is a heated debate around the benefits of Alkaline water, which many claims are good for health. There are pros and cons of using alkaline water according to various studies, tests, research, and many lot claims.
Before discussing in detail about the potential benefits of alkaline water, let first look at, what is alkaline water.
Table of Contents
The ” alkaline “in alkaline water refers to the amount of ph (potential hydrogen) level on a scale of 1 to 14.
The ” ph” level is a number that measures how “acidic” or “alkaline” a substance is on a scale of 1 to 14. For instance, something with a ph of 1-2 would be more acidic and if ph is something around 13-14 would be more alkaline.
Alkaline water has a higher ph value than the regular water we drink normally ( ph=7). Because of this those who advocate alkaline water usually believe that it can neutralize the acid in our body ( what we eat is converted into acids at one point).
Alkaline water is used to reduce and neutralize the acid that is present in our body and is said to have potential health benefits. The Alkaline water has a ph level around 8-9.
How alkaline water works?
It is usually believed that food that we consume is converted into acid and in some cases causes excess acidity.
Alkaline water is said to have neutralized this excess acidity and in turn, helps to maintain normal ph level in our body which is good for health. Thanks to the alkaline nature.
This process of neutralizing acids in the body helps to prevent various ailments.
It is usually suggested that the food we intake should have at least 70 percent alkaline and 30 percent acidic. So once alkaline water is used, the ph will be neutral.
Alkaline water is suggested when you are consuming food that is not balancing your ph levels in the body.
Does it really work?
Even though there are many studies that are going around the alkaline water, some are still sceptical about the potential benefits of it.
It is still debated that normal water with high ph value that we get is better than the alkaline water that is produced using the artificial alkaline purifiers.
Many studies are still going on regarding the potential benefits of alkaline water. By considering all the claims for and against alkaline water, it is proved that it is used in reducing the acid that secretes in our body through juices and helps in maintaining the normal ph level.
Benefits of alkaline water
Its time now to go into potential benefits of the alkaline water on the basis of the scientific studies that are going on around the world.
- Anti-ageing properties ( makes you look younger, via liquid antioxidants that absorb more quickly into the human body)
- The ultra-hydrating properties of the alkaline water are more beneficial to those who do a workout in the gym on daily basis. Alkaline water helps the body to regenerate more rapidly after an energetic workout.
- Alkaline water is beneficial in increasing the immunity of the body by neutralizing the excess acid that secretes in the body ( thanks to alkaline water)
- Alkaline water contains minerals like calcium and magnesium which are essential in maintaining the healthy bones.
- The potential benefits of alkaline water include its resistance against cancer.
- Weight loss
- Alkaline water contains many detoxifying properties.
Possible risks and side effects of Alkaline water
- Alkaline water is said to reduce the natural stomach acidity.
- It might lead to some gastrointestinal issues.
- Consuming excess of alkaline water is said to have vomiting sensation in the body.
- Alkaline water consumption more than what is required is said to have lead to many skin irritations.
- Muscle twisting and nausea
How do alkaline machine works?
Alkaline machines or Alkaline water purifiers are typically attached to your faucet which is very convenient.
The filter typically consists of an activated carbon filter which works through the mostly known process called “Electrolysis” which will remove the impurities and pollutants in water and in turn increase the ph level in the water.
Process of electrolysis
Water ionizers work by the process called electrolysis. when tap water runs through the electrically activated charged carbon filter, the water is separated in two streams.
One stream is rich in hydroxyl ions (oh-) and is called alkaline water. The second stream is rich in hydrogen ion (h+) and is called the acidic water.
First, the water is filtered to reduce the amount of chlorine and many other impurities and pollutant that are present in the tap water.
The alkaline filter then adds the mineral hydrates into water based on the need and requirement. In any case, if the water contains more minerals then the filter will take out the excess amount from the water and maintains the desired level as required for the alkaline water.
Shiva Kumar is a 25-year-old Blogger from India. He is a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert. Constantly funny – Randomly Serious!