Summers can be oppressive. Buying an AC is the best way to deal with the situation. Maintaining the AC is very important because irregular maintenance can increase the operating costs of the AC to abnormal levels.
This maintenance applies to the existing AC units as well. One should ensure that the AC units are overhauled and kept ready before the onset of the summer. This ensures that your AC does not break down in the peak of the summer. It also makes sure that your AC consumes less electricity thereby increasing its efficiency.
We shall discuss the air conditioner maintenance tips in this article. There are two aspects to discuss. The first one is the care one has to take during the installation of the AC and the second aspect is in the daily maintenance of the equipment.
During the installation process
Exercising a bit of care at the initial stage can save you a lot of money in the long run. You should ensure to leave a lot of space for the proper installation of the AC. You need this space in case of carrying out of repairs to the AC. Installing the AC in a cramped space can make it difficult for you to carry out regular maintenance of the equipment.
Lack of maintenance can automatically lead to an increase in the electricity bills. You should have sufficient space to removing the filters and cleaning them.
In case you have a split AC, you should ensure that there are no overhead cupboards or shelves near the place where you install the indoor unit. Having the indoor unit in the centre portion of the walls is the best way to ensure proper circulation of the cool air.
Similarly, you should ensure that you install the outdoor unit in a shaded portion on the terrace. In case you install the same on the window sill, make sure that the window is on the east or north side of the house. You ensure that minimum sunlight falls on this unit. This can keep the outdoor unit comparatively colder and hence increase the efficiency of the AC.
1. One should ensure to clean the air filters before the commencement of the summer months. Accumulation of dust on the filters impacts the flow of air into the air conditioner. This makes the AC work harder. Cleaning the filters is easy. However, a mechanic can do a better and cleaner job.
2. Change the refrigerant at periodical intervals. Cleaning the condenser unit is also necessary in order to increase the efficiency of the AC.
3. There can be other electronic devices in the room such as computers, laptops, televisions, and music systems. This equipment emits a lot of heat when they are in use. Hence, you should see to it that you switch off these instruments when not in use.
4. Similarly, you should note not to place these instruments near the air conditioner thermostat. It will have a negative effect on the functioning of the thermostat and make the AC condenser work harder.
5. Every AC has a fresh air vent. This allows the outside air to enter the AC. The principal job of the AC is to cool the air inside the room. The entry of outside air into the AC can make the condenser work harder.
6. The insulation should be perfect. The windows and the ventilators are the main culprits that allow the air to escape. One should be very careful while insulating the gaps. Similarly have carpets or rugs inside the room. This ensures that the cool air does not escape from below the doors.
7. Maintain the temperature of the room at around 24 to 25 degrees Celsius. This saves you a lot of electricity.
8. Have a professional check on the AC at regular intervals. The evaporator coils and condenser coils require cleaning. Similarly dust can accumulate in the gaps of the coil fins. Remove this dust to decrease the load on the condensing unit.
9. Covering up the compressor during the winter when the AC is not in use is also a good way to ensure that it remains fit for working during the summer months.
10. The rear drain is very important. Water should drain out of the AC. In case it accumulates inside, it can not only damage the coils but also cause electrical short circuits.
Buying an AC is no big deal at all. Maintaining it so that it serves you well is important. As you can see from the above tips, maintaining an AC unit is not that tough an assignment. Do the right things at the right time. This can help in ensuring that your AC has a long and efficient life.